• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Update messed up my right click options

I just got the 16.5.0.134 update to Norton Antivirus 2009.  It seemed to install ok, but now when I right click on a file the context box is all goofed up.  There is a new method to scanning with Norton.  However, now when I right click a file the icons are on the left and then there is a LARGE space before the text associated with the icon starts.  I'm using Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 4gb Ram.   Anyone else experience this?

Message Edited by Dogbert on 03-06-2009 11:00 AM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Update messed up my right click options

A little clarification from Symantec on this matter would be greatly appreciated. As HamsterJam said it's been over 2 weeks since this problem accured and still no sign of a fix. I paid for software that worked, not software where I have to perform a "hack" to get it performing satisfactorily.
Kudos1 Stats

We have confirmed the issue was introduced with a recent update.  This issue can happen with NIS, N360 or NAV on some machines  depending upon other extensions you have installed.  

We have a fix that we are currently verifying and will make that available shortly. 

Kudos0

To add to what JK wrote above, and after reading this entire thread, there is clearly some confusion as to this right click issue.

From what I read there are actually 2 issues being discussed:

1) a crash when you right click which has been talked about in the past and solved with fixes from Powerdesk

2) which is a graphical non functional issue where the menus show as the classic style, this one seems to be the one most are talking about and the one that JK is referencing above

Matt

Kudos0

Matt_Boucher wrote:

[ ... ]

From what I read there are actually 2 issues being discussed:

1) a crash when you right click which has been talked about in the past and solved with fixes from Powerdesk

[ ... ]

Unless it's caused by another applications, also reported in the Forums but in another thread (?), such as a Rename utility where it also was solved by an update or by ZipMagic where it was solved by using another utility since ZipMagic appears to be frozen in the past.

IOW -- it could be triggered by any application that did not observe the newer Microsoft protocol as was the case with PowerDesk ?

Hugh
Kudos0

Yes that is correct, the crash behavior has been described in some of the earlier postings was caused by other applications not observing the proper protocol for modifying the Microsoft right click menu.
Kudos0

Thanks for confirming that since I've seen so many "But I don't have PowerDesk .... " <s>
Hugh
Kudos0

Matt_Boucher wrote:

2) which is a graphical non functional issue where the menus show as the classic style, this one seems to be the one most are talking about and the one that JK is referencing above

Matt

This is the issue that I originally began this thread about.  Thank you for the providing us with an update about this issue.

Message Edited by Dogbert on 04-07-2009 04:30 PM
Kudos0

Finally! Thanks for the info.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback.
Kudos3 Stats

HamsterJam and others,

Sorry about  the delay in getting back to you all. When I originally posted I was able to reproduce the issue in house and created a fix for it. We are currently testing the fix in house as stated above. Currently I have a fix for the drawing issues for Vista in the context menu. 

More details to come. 

Thanks,

Mike

Kudos0

Again, thank you for the fresh information.

Will this fix be distributed through automatic LiveUpate?

Kudos1 Stats

Regarding the powerdesk "version" of the right click problem -  for people who use the powerdesk derivative ExplorerPlus, the solution is to rename the explorer plus right click options (both file and folder) to have a z at the start of the name.  ExplorerPlus has been discontinued and there are no updates to it.  Not that I use it any more but some people might be.

Kudos0

Thanks for filling in that gap. I started with Explorer Plus back in the Mijenix days but moved away when they shut down and VISTA came along.
Hugh
Kudos0

This thread is in the news :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/07/security_scanner_bugs/

about 3/4 of the way down

Kudos0

Thanks for th e link -- not that I've ever had much of an opinion of The Register ....

And it's the other thread they are referring to.

Hugh
Kudos0

It takes me to "Update messed up my right click options" , just click the link in the news item.

Message Edited by Somethingelse on 04-09-2009 12:14 PM
Kudos0

Somethingelse wrote:

It takes me to "Update messed up my right click options" , just click the link in the news item.

I did and it did but just here we are Re: Please read my post  -- I didn't back read enough to see they were the same thread. I thought we were in the PowerDesk and other third party utilities break the context menu thread one here <s>

Hugh
Kudos5 Stats

I wanted to clarify the issues listed in this thread, and give an update on what's being done.

1.  On Windows Vista, the "Classic" menu style is being displayed instead of the Vista menu style for the right-click context menu

This is an issue that was introduced with NAV/NIS 16.5 and N360 3.0.  We are actively working on a tool that will resolve this issue.  We will update this thread when the tool is available.

2. On Windows Vista, there is a large gap of white space to the left of the context menu

This is a Powerdesk issue that they have created a fix for.  NAV/NIS 16.5 and N360 3.0 expose this issue by displaying an icon on the right-click context menu.  The solution to this is to install the Powerdesk patch.  Although our software exposes the issue, our software is working correctly.  The tool we are creating to resolve the "Classic" menu issue on Vista will have no effect on this.

3. On Windows Vista, when you right-click on an item, Windows Explorer crashes

This is a known issue with Powerdesk that their patch also resolves.  However, I have seen messages from customers who do not have Powerdesk that are seeing this issue.  I have not reproduced this issue in-house without Powerdesk yet.

Once our tool is in Beta, we will be looking for customers who have this issue that are willing to help us determine if it resolves the Explorer crash.

Kudos0

Many thanks for breaking this down and giving the details.

<< However, I have seen messages from customers who do not have Powerdesk that are seeing this issue.  I have not reproduced this issue in-house without Powerdesk yet. >>

There were two specifics of this that I remember one was with ZipMagic and was cured by uninstalling it and using something else because there were no updates available and a Better File Rename utility where an update did fix the crashing.

See Solved! XP + NIS2009 + right click folder = explorer crash. for both; martike was the poster on ZipMagic

Hope that helps.

Hugh
Kudos3 Stats

I would like to further clarify what my fellow employee Ken_L responded with above:

2. On Windows Vista, there is a large gap of white space to the left of the context menu

This is a Powerdesk issue that they have created a fix for.  NAV/NIS 16.5 and N360 3.0 expose this issue by displaying an icon on the right-click context menu.  The solution to this is to install the Powerdesk patch.  Although our software exposes the issue, our software is working correctly.  The tool we are creating to resolve the "Classic" menu issue on Vista will have no effect on this.

We had a quick session with the original poster of this giant thread DogBert last night, where we did the following to be certain that we have indeed resolved the issue. DogBert did not have Powerdesk installed, in fact he disabled all right click extension except for NIS. Once he did that he confirmed that both the classic menu drawing and the large gap of white space was seen on his system. We updated his system with the fix and both issues were resolved. The powerdesk issue was only for #3 as Ken describes.

And finally, we will not have a tool in beta that will fix a crash as Ken_L states, that again is a PowerDesk issue that has been acknowledged by the manufacturer of PowerDesk Avanquest USA.

The link below will not work however you can do this to see the KB from Avanquest:

Click here which will bring you to kb.avanquestusa.com and type 4030 into search box to get the kb article below.

PowerDesk crashes when right-clicking on some files and folders. (4030)  

text menu entries corrects this issue.  This issue will occur when certain versions of Norton 360 are also installed on the computer.  This problem occurs in both PowerDesk 6 & 7. ... ( All Products - 4.6 kb - 5/27/2008 )

Thanks again to DogBert for the help.

Message Edited by Matt_Boucher on 04-09-2009 08:25 PM
Kudos0

Thanks too for the clarification.

<< See this link on their site.

PowerDesk crashes when right-clicking on some files and folders. (4030)  

text menu entries corrects this issue.  This issue will occur when certain versions of Norton 360 are also installed on the computer.  This problem occurs in both PowerDesk 6 & 7. ... ( All Products - 4.6 kb - 5/27/2008 )   >>

This is indeed what they say but that dates back as one can see to when this was discovered on N360 V1 > V2.

It also happens with Norton Internet Security, to my knowledge on NIS 2009 but I don't know about NAV.

Hugh
Kudos0

I Have the "classic menu drawing" problem in vista sp1, and as i have HDD images of vista just before and just after the NIS 09 update, and also a clean install of vista on a 2nd HDD (just vista and nis 09). im willing to test the fix.

Message Edited by Somethingelse on 04-10-2009 01:28 AM
Kudos0

Will the “Classic” menu right-click style tool (beta or final) be released in the next week or so as I am eager to get this problem resolved.

Message Edited by GasCan on 04-12-2009 02:06 PM
Kudos0

Ken_L has said just above here:

<<  We are actively working on a tool that will resolve this issue.  We will update this thread when the tool is available. >>

We need to allow time for the tool to be constructed and tested under a wide range of conditions .....

Hugh
Kudos0

<<  We are actively working on a tool that will resolve this issue.  We will update this thread when the tool is available. >>

Does this tool show up for work regularly?

tool  

noun

an "un-cool" person; LOSER; WANNA-BE.
Kudos0

Huwyngr,

I understand software needs to be tested as what can help fix a problem for one may affect another. But it’s been a month since this problem occurred would this not have been sufficient time for the tool to be constructed and tested under a wide range of conditions.

Michael Shavell wrote “Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all. When I originally posted (That was March 20th) I was able to reproduce the issue in house and created a fix for it. We are currently testing the fix in house as stated above. Currently I have a fix for the drawing issues for Vista in the context menu.”

That was posted on April 7th and still no fix.

Message Edited by GasCan on 04-12-2009 03:45 PM
Kudos0

Since neither of us are running Symantec I have no idea what is involved and neither do you.

Microsoft should be able to deliver Windows with no flaws .... let me know when they achieve this and "should" will have some meaning.

I spent my working life in R&D of High Technology products so I have a good idea about what is involved and Symantec -- and all programmers -- have my full sympathy and understanding.

Hugh
Kudos0

Symantec, please release the fix tool soon.
Kudos0

+1
Kudos1 Stats

We plan on releasing a hotfix early next week.
Kudos0

Thanks for the new information.

It's about time this patch gets released!

Kudos1 Stats

Hello all,

We're putting the finishing touches on the Hot Fix for this issue. If you would like to volunteer to run a test patch to see if this issue is corrected, please Private Message me.

You can Private Message me by clicking on the icon on the top right of these forums, clicking on New Message, and typing tim_lopez in the Send To field.

Once I receive your private message, I will email you with a link to download the Hot Fix, as well as instructions on running the Hot Fix.  

Kudos2 Stats

TADA!!!

I wanted to let everyone here know that I have tested the patch and it works.  The right click menu is back to normal (not Classic) and the scan option is correct (for those of you who 'created' your own and can not get more than 3 files to be scanned).  I have put my system through some 'paces' and have not had any issues with this patch.  Those who disabled the shell extension and made their own right click shortcut will have to fully undo those changes (and reboot) before applying the patch.  I would look for the release announcement very soon (I'm not a Symantec / Norton person so I can not tell when but this is very promising)!

Win10 x64
Kudos1 Stats

Worked for me too

no problems at all :)

Kudos0

Moved to new thread for better exposure. Please stay on topic with original issue.
Kudos0

My ones bak to normal after doing that hotfix thing. But something looks weird, I just cant tell wat.
Kudos0

AI wrote:
My ones bak to normal after doing that hotfix thing. But something looks weird, I just cant tell wat.

Maybe post a screenshot and someone will help spot the hidden difference? <s>

Hugh
Kudos0

I have a before and after snap, so i'll have a look ;)
Kudos0

If its the Icon, I hope they (Symantec) replaces that with something more polished!

[Edit by Tim - Please discuss this at http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=47659 ]

Message Edited by Tim_Lopez on 04-20-2009 02:32 PM
Win10 x64
Kudos0

Before Update                                     /               After Update                           /                         After Hot fix

Message Edited by Somethingelse on 04-20-2009 05:51 PM
Kudos0

Somethingelse, is this your suggestion for an updated icon, or is this what you see?

If it's a suggestion, there is another post for all next revision suggestions, this is for Norton Internet Security 2010.

Matt

Kudos0

QUOTE: If its the Icon, I hope they (Symantec) replaces that with something more polished.

This looks good

Kudos0

No Matt, The three pics of the menu are before the NIS09 core update that had the problem, then the next pic is after the core update, and the last one is after the new Hot fix.

thx for the link, i'll have a look at it now :)

Message Edited by Somethingelse on 04-20-2009 06:01 PM
Kudos0

I've been using the initial "fix" now for almost two weeks with no problems at all. 
Kudos0

Matt,

I suggested to AI Re: Update messed up my right click options  that he might post a screenshot because of his "somewhat odd" appearance remark but he has not replied yet.

So Somethingelse may have picked up on that.

I don't know about "Odd" but certainly different ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Yeah sorry guys,

I posted so AI (and the rest of us) could see the difference in the menu before the update that caused the menu problems (normal NIS, after the update (broke NIS), and after the hot fix fixed the menu (NIS after the fix)    :)

Kudos0

Just out of curiosity, what size monitor have you?

Kudos0

Hello all,

Please remember to stay on topic. If you would like to discuss the Right Click Menu Icon, please do so here: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=47659#M47659

Thanks! 

Kudos0

I think what people are talking about is the "new" icon that the Hotfix for the right click just added to the menu.

It needs tidying up at the bottom right before the Hotfix is released this week

the snap shots of the menus were posted not to complain about the icon, but to show that the Hotfix works :)

Message Edited by Somethingelse on 20-04-2009 11:10 PMMessage Edited by Somethingelse on 20-04-2009 11:11 PM
Kudos2 Stats

Thank you all for the information on this.  Yes, the icon does look different after the hotfix has been installed.  We're looking into it.

-ken l 

Replies are locked for this thread.