• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Is Phishing Protection working in Firefox 3

When running Firefox 3 and NIS 8, the Norton Phishing toolbar is not present and I can't find a way to enable it. Also I can't find any reference to the Phishing Protection in any of the Norton Internet Security 8 menus or setup screens. How can I tell if Phishing Protection is running? If it is NOT running, how can I enable it? Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Is Phishing Protection working in Firefox 3

You are correct. The phishing toolbar is not present. However if you look under options for Firefox 3, security options, you'll see that you will be warned if the site you are visiting is a suspected attack site. You will also be told if the site you are visiting is a suspected forgery.

I would think that until NIS comes out with an update, you should remain feeling somewhat safe.

Kudos0

opstx wrote:
When running Firefox 3 and NIS 8, the Norton Phishing toolbar is not present and I can't find a way to enable it. Also I can't find any reference to the Phishing Protection in any of the Norton Internet Security 8 menus or setup screens. How can I tell if Phishing Protection is running? If it is NOT running, how can I enable it? Thanks!

FF 3 is still in beta phase. It will probably be solved when itis officially released. It is useless to provide it when you know things in the beta stage can be changed

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Using Firefox 3 RC1. They removed the word BETA. Pretty stable browser. A little quicker than 2.o. Available in 45 languages....
Kudos0

donahu1 wrote:
Using Firefox 3 RC1. They removed the word BETA. Pretty stable browser. A little quicker than 2.o. Available in 45 languages....

Correct but it is still not officially released

Kudos0

Firefox 3.0 get's it's phishing/malware data from Google and is updated every 30 minutes (assuming there are updates) so it's actually more up to date than NIS's phishing protection (which updates every hour).

Personally I think both IE7 and Firefox 2.0 and 3.0 do as good a job or better than NIS's built in phishing protection because they either check in real time or update more often. Actually the toolbar nearly doubles the amount of memory used by Firefox when it first loads and lengthens the start up time.  This and the fact that I use Roboform and don't need the password manager,  is why I completely disabled NIS toolbar in Firefox, which wasn't as easy to do as it should have been.

Kudos0

Stu wrote:

Correct but it is still not officially released

This is correct. Once Firefox 3 is officially released, our team will be working toward updating products that support Firefox. Thanks!
Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

It would be unreasonable to expect Symantec to run around following unrealeased browser developments, so Stu's answer makes sense.

Also the discussion of Firefox phishing protection vs Norton is interesting...

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thank you for your questions about Firefox 3 compatibility. We update our solutions after the final version of a new browser is released since there are typically several changes between the beta version and the final one. In the case of Firefox 3 we expect the shipping version to be out by the end of June. An update to Norton Internet Security 2008 will occur shortly thereafter.

If you are using NIS 2008 on a supported browser (Firefox 2, IE6 or IE7), you can enable phishing protection by open the main NIS UI, selecting the Norton Internet Security Tab, Settings, and phishing protection. It will indicate whether it is on or off and allow you to change its status.

Thanks,

Bill Rosenkrantz

Product Management

Symantec Corporation

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 06-06-2008 08:14 AM
File Attachment: 
Kudos0

well, it works with beta1 of IE 8, and thats not as far along or nearly as stable as firefox 3
Kudos0

Good to know.

Will test that than

Kudos0

Just to make sure I understand the implications... If I were to install Firefox 3 when it goes live next week, will the Norton Toolbar (Identify Safe, etc.) attempt to install (and possibly work and/or have issues), or will NIS ignore this new browser entirely (meaning the pop-up to install the Norton toolbar won't appear)?

Has anyone used the candidate releases with NIS?  Any difficulties? 

Kudos0

Hi CountryGuy,

Until we release an update to Norton Internet Security that resolves any conflicts with Firefox 3, I would expect that the Norton Toolbar would try to load, but might have some problems. Thanks! 

Kudos0

OK, thanks.  I'll hold off installing FF3 then until any compatibility issues are worked out. 

Kudos0

We expect to distribute the update for FF3 compatibility on Thursday, June 19--approximately 2 days after the FF3 final release date. The update to NIS will occur automatically but may require a reboot (if so, you will be prompted by NIS). If there are changes to that schedule, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Bill Rosenkrantz

Product Management

Symantec

Kudos0

One important to note about the phishing protection in NIS versus those in FF and IE--NIS relies heavily on advanced heuristics and augments this protection with a blocklist (IE uses light heuristics as does FF but rely heavinly on a blocklist). The implications are that NIS actually provides better zero-hour protection for new phish sites since they will not appear on anyone's blocklist, at least initially. Rockphish utilize the weakness in blocklists by creating dymanic phish sites. 

The heuristics technology was developed in 2004 for a eBay/PayPal by a company Symantec acquired 2 years ago. We conduct regular tests for internal purposes to measure detection rates versus IE and FF.  It is somewhat challenging to demonstrate the NIS advantage but if you are able to find a fresh phish site, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,

Bill Rosenkrantz

Product Management

Symantec

Kudos0

@Tony Weiss

Firefox 3 Final is now out , in what timeframe we can hope for a NIS2008 Antiphishing update ?

Thanks...

Kudos0

Voyager10 wrote:
Firefox 3 Final is now out , in what timeframe we can hope for a NIS2008 Antiphishing update ?

As of now, we're still on schedule with BillR's post earlier. Thanks!

Kudos0

it's not out yet, says firefox 3 on the homepage, but only lists 2.0.0.14
Kudos0

Tony_Weiss wrote:

Voyager10 wrote:

As of now, we're still on schedule with BillR's post earlier. Thanks!

The right figures must be written. So please be patient

Kudos0

BillR wrote:

The heuristics technology was developed in 2004 for a eBay/PayPal by a company Symantec acquired 2 years ago. We conduct regular tests for internal purposes to measure detection rates versus IE and FF.  It is somewhat challenging to demonstrate the NIS advantage but if you are able to find a fresh phish site, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The best place I've found to find 0 hour phishing sites is Broadband Report's Phish Tracker.

BTW, I'm not knocking your heuristics technology, but I'll mention that since FF's blocklist comes from Google,  Google not only has a rediculous amount of spiders scouring the web, but also tracks what people are browsing via Google Toolbar. Their blocklist tends to be very thorough and is very quickly updated.Also just a FYI, but if the user has Google Desktop installed, that too will try and block access too phishing sites at the network level (before either FF or IE even have a chance to see the page).
Message Edited by Morac on 06-18-2008 01:18 AM
Kudos0

When Phishing Protection was introduced in NIS 2008, I conducted some comparison testing against IE7 and Firefox 2 using suspected phishing sites that had been freshly reported to PhishTank.  Norton blocked more of the "unknown" phishing sites than either IE or Firefox.  While my test was admittedly unscientific, it was enought to convince me.
Kudos0

So according to you the FF3 Phishing Protection/Identity safe toolbar fix should be released today.

What time would this be and;

Would this also apply to Norton360

Thanks

Kudos0

Hello to all,

please, is possible to know if the FF3 Phishing Protection/Identity safe toolbar fix

will be apply to Vista Ultimate x64?  this is my first post.......forgive my English

Thanks in advance

Kudos0

Hello, I just update NIS 2008 using Live Update.....But there were no Norton Toolbar on FF3.

I think it may take more time.

Chow

Kudos0

Be patient.  It's currently Thursday, June 19th @ 5:42pm EST and an update has not yet been released.  Once one of us is able to download it let's be courteous and post an update for everyone waiting.
Kudos0

Has anyone seen this update yet?  No luck on my end...
Kudos0

Looks like they missed their objective for getting this out on time. I just received latest Norton 360 updates...no Identity Safe on toolbar for FF3. Check back tomorrow.
Kudos0

Does anyone from Symantec have a comment on when Norton Toolbar/Phishing Protection/Identity Safe will be working with Firefox 3? I use Identity Safe with Norton 360 extensively. Thanks for your help.
Kudos0

I apologize for the delay; our team wants to do a bit more testing on the patch, which means it will not be released until next week. I'm sorry for this inconvenience. I will update this thread when the patch for Firefox 3.0 has been released. In the meantime, be sure you update your system to the latest version of Norton Internet Security 2008 (15.5.0.23). Thanks!Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 06-20-2008 04:13 PM
Kudos0

"Better safe, than sorry"  <s>
Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Tony. I hope all is well. Will the patch be released to beta testers beforehand? I'd love to help test it.

Thanks,

Jon Clifford

Kudos0

How do I update to 15.5.0.23?

When I run Live Update it says I have the latest version. But when I check my version number is:15.0.0.60.

Kudos0

Hi Tony

I am in a similar situation as Paula Dawn who posted in this thread.  I have NIS2008 Version 15.0.0.60.  You recommend to be sure you update your system to the latest version of NIS2008 (version 15.5.0.23).

I have run LiveUpdate repeatedly over the last few days also with the intention of trying to pick up the patch to solve the Identity Safe / Phishing Protection toolbars issue with FF3.  LiveUpdate continues to tell me that (surely) my system IS up to date.

How does one follow your advice and ensure they are using this elusive latest version 15.5.0.23?

Alex

Kudos0

The way I did so is to download the NIS2008 product from their site - You can get a full copy of the latest and greatest there.
Kudos0

LiveUpdate, as far as I know, doesn't update the product version.

At the top of this page, click the Support link and go to Norton Update Center. Ignore what it says about Vista. Enter your product info and if your subscription is current, you can download & install the latest version at no charge. When 2009 comes out you can do the same thing.

The direct link is http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/special/upgrade2007/vista/select_product.jsp?site=nuc

Kudos0

Thanks for the link...just installed latest version...are we still waiting for "identity safe" in firefox 3? I still do not have the toolbar.
Kudos0

teey7 wrote:
Thanks for the link...just installed latest version...are we still waiting for "identity safe" in firefox 3? I still do not have the toolbar.

I found this forum trying to figure out how to turn that on in firefox3.....

you must not have read or even scanned this thread tho, because just 7 posts away from yours the administrator said:

Tony_Weiss wrote:
I apologize for the delay; our team wants to do a bit more testing on the patch, which means it will not be released until next week. I'm sorry for this inconvenience. I will update this thread when the patch for Firefox 3.0 has been released. In the meantime, be sure you update your system to the latest version of Norton Internet Security 2008 (15.5.0.23). Thanks!Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 06-20-2008 04:13 PM

So i guess it will be fixed next week......

Kudos0

I did see that but was confused when I read the issue was "solved". I did update from the link but still no toolbar. I thought the issue may have been resolved by updating to the very latest version.
Kudos0

As of this morning, the FF3 update for NIS 2008 is still being tested and has not been released. As soon as it is or if I get an updated timeline, I will post the information to the forum.

Thanks,

Bill

Kudos0

This morning at 1am EST popup message saying "liveupdate needs to restart in order to install update". After reboot identity safe toolbar is back in firefox 3. Looks good so far.Message Edited by teey7 on 06-23-2008 10:07 PM
Kudos0

NCO works good with Firefox 3
Kudos0

Except ALL my stored passwords/logins are now in Japanese/Chinese characters !!!!
Kudos0

I downloaded the latest version of NIS 2008 after reading that post.  All of a sudden all of my Identity Safe Log-in and passowrds were converted to Chinese as well!  Very bizarre to say the least and thankfully before uninstallig the previous version of NIS 2008 I ran a backup of my Identity Safe.

But I do not have the ability to use Identity Safe or the Phishing toolbar with Fire Fox 3 as the above posters say they can. 

Symantec really needs to address this language conversion issue though.  That's pretty serious IMO.  :(

Kudos0

The problem now extends to IE, so I cannot even use that as an alternative.

LiveChat gave the impression they did not know what the issue was, other than NIS

has become corrupted, somehow...

Kudos0

To clarify the problem, is this occuring in XP or Vista, or both? Which service pack? And which language is your operating system? On which exact screen do you see the passwords and logins displayed in unfamiliar characters? Is it within the Toolbar windows? When the passwords and logins are entered into websites? If it's possible, please post a screenshot but be careful to block out critical information by possibly covering 1/2 of the username and password with a black box. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!
Kudos0

Tony, many thanks for your comments....

XP pro - fully to date.

English Language, en & en-gb, according to Firefox 3.

The unfamiliar characters are seen in both of the logon and password boxes; the live chat advisor should have seen them as I showed a logon occurring....

Until this morning Firefox 3 and IE 7 both ran smoothly; but FF3 did not show the phishing toolbar, nor allowed access to the Identity Safe controls. IE7, until then, had to be used as a back-up until NIS 2008 could be updated for FF3, and was OK.

After the liveupdate, Firefox  3 shows the phishing toolbar, but the Identity Safe controls inserted in-correctly charactered figures into the logins and password boxes of all my links... I thought IE7 would provide an alternative, but the same issue occurred in that application also. (chinese/japanese character sets).

The chat advisor, after a lot of screen switching suggested that he delete my password info, after saying that to do a restore, from backup .npm file, would not solve the problem.

The way he deleted my password info suggested he was not too sure what he was doing. Upon deleting the password he asked me to create a new logon for one of my sites. Once that was done he then said that it appeared that NIS 2008 was corrupt and could he re-install for me.

At this time I had had enough and replied no; if that was the solution I would do it myself at a more convenient time.

Since that chat I have carried out a restore of my .npm file and, this far,  all my logon/password details appear to be correct i.e. with western English characterisation as expected;

only time will tell....'cause I have a large number of sites stored in Identity Safe...

G.

Kudos0

Something is definitely wrong. I woke up this morning and had a dialog box saying there was an update to Norton and that I needed to reboot..I rebooted and now all my passwords and logons are also in chinese characters. I can't log in to anything.

Any news???????

Kudos0

hi all

can you tell me where you got the update from because i have done liveupdate and says up to date on my system

Kudos0

Altocumulus wrote:

The unfamiliar characters are seen in both of the logon and password boxes; the live chat advisor should have seen them as I showed a logon occurring....

I apologize, what I meant to ask was if you see the unfamiliar characters in the Norton Toolbar windows, and are these same characters filled into the websites when you browse to login pages in Firefox 3? Does both occur? If you could also provide me with the exact versions of both NIS and Firefox, that would be very helpful as well. Thanks again.

Kudos0

NIS : 15.5.0.23

Firefox :  Version 3. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0

Norton Toolbar windows showed 'squares' in place of the characters when viewed through the Log-ins icon.These then changed when

entered automatically into the web-page (both FF3 and IE7) to the Chinese/Japanese character sets.

I cannot, unfortunately replicate the exact problem as, as mentioned already, I 'cured' the problem using an identity safe restore of passwords...

Replies are locked for this thread.