• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Symantec Corp is driving me crazy!

After several years of interest in computer security and tryings of different Anti-virus solutions i have been using everything from Zonealarm, McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, NOD32 and MANY others. The only problem i have is that NORTON WAS BLOATWARE. If you installed norton, everything crashes or gets slow.

Today SEVERAL years after, SYMANTEC CORPORATION IS RECOMMENDED EVERYWHERE BY EVERYBODY. The Norton Engine has EXTREME protection against any threats and its a **bleep**ing lightweight feather. 5-7 mb for NIS 2009? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Norton used to eat tons and tons of Computer resources, BUT suddenly it went on diet and became extreme on protection? I feel like im dreaming. Check all these reviews, WTF?

VB100, 48 successes???

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/results?vendor=VE4

Cnet? THEY ARE IN LOVE WITH NIS 2009!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-security-and-firewall/norton-internet-security-2009/4505-3667_7-33246586.html

Mrizos from www.Remove-Malware.com has tested and recommended NIS 2009 to EVERYONE. FREE ADVERTISEMENT ON YOUTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU9U4f01H8M

10 times BETTER detection against vulnerabilities than competitors???

http://secunia.com/gfx/Secunia_Exploit-vs-AV_test-Oct-2008.pdf

99% on-demand detection rate!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_08.php

Norton passed the Firewall Test with 99%. Outrageous!!!

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/level.php?num=1

HOW SMALL CAN OUR BLOATWARE BECOME? SERIOUSLY WTF?

http://www.symantec.com/norton/new/fast/index.jsp

This is crazy stuff symantec... You have proven your worth. Finally something exciting, fast and powerful from Symantec Corporation.

I am really impressed, and many others are. Good job Symantec and the Norton Internet Security Team.

/Bow

Message Edited by Salihb on 02-13-2009 08:01 AM[edit: Removed profanity.]Message Edited by shannons on 02-13-2009 05:22 AM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Symantec Corp is driving me crazy!

I agree speed has increased like hell but at a cost.

Earlier till 06, norton had a tremendous load on comp, but there was no malware or virus which could touch norton protected system.

No other product was near to symantec's quality.

It ended since norton started making software with lightning speed.

Now though speed is increased the quality sux.

Even freewares are able to detect viruses which norton can't detect with latest definitions even if the submission is done by users.

I would rather prefer super high protection with a bit of slowlyness.

One can buy $20 ram of extra 2gb and there will b no problem of loading but with less protection, one may loose matter of worth more than mere $20.

I don't know whether the virus designers have become mart or symantec has become lazy, but it has to be changed.

So, stop concentrating on speed, rather develop stronger protection, that all norton fans want. 

----------------------------------------------------------------NIS 2011 beta 18.0.0.107 Win 7 7600 RTM 32-bit
Kudos0

You didn't exactly get what i meant. Norton is lightweight and still extremely powerful...

You cannot run a computer with a antivirus without having at least one or two on-demand anti-spyware products (highly recommended ones are Malwarebytes and Superantispyware).

Kudos0

Well bitdefender gives better protection than norton but is slower.

All i m saying is to increase developers' priority to security not speed.

MWB ans SAS are specialized for malware detection, but what about viruses.

Viruses are one to be handled by av, so thats y i m sayin just to improve the quality of security. 

----------------------------------------------------------------NIS 2011 beta 18.0.0.107 Win 7 7600 RTM 32-bit
Kudos0

Take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Malware = Virus, Trojan Horse, Spyware, Adware, Worms, PUA and everything else that is Malicious!

Kudos0

Sry about that i didn't specified what i wanna say.

They specializes in trojans

More over true viruses are av specialization. 

Kudos0

Salihb:

You are absolutely right.  Nothing catches everything, and malware is specifically written to evade the major antivirus programs.  It doesn`t matter if it is fast or slow.  Malware has increased at an enormous rate, and is everywhere.  The best an antivirus program can do is limit the number of successful attacks and hopefully minimize the damage.  To expect a program to do more than that is just not realistic.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

:O, I m not expecting norton to prevent everything, buit at least it sud be able to catch viruses which have been updated in definitions of competetor 6 months ago and older.
Kudos0

:O, I m not expecting norton to prevent everything, buit at least it sud be able to catch viruses which have been updated in definitions of competetor 6 months ago and older.

If you think there are some infections that are detected by other vendors and we haven't yet, please bring it to our notice. I'll be more than happy to let my team know about it.

Thank you.

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

If you think there are some infections that are detected by other vendors and we haven't yet, please bring it to our notice. I'll be more than happy to let my team know about it.

Thank you.

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Hi TomV:

You can take a look at this post :

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=34038

This could be the one to which Rohit1gupta is referring to.......if I am not wrong !!!

Note : Except for the last two links given out of three in the post

Message Edited by Shridhar on 02-13-2009 06:16 PMMessage Edited by Shridhar on 02-13-2009 06:21 PM
Kudos0

Yup, thanx sridhar for posting the link thp
Kudos0

Ah yes, Symantec is crazy ... crazy like a fox? <s>
Hugh
Kudos0

For some reason Symantec decided to ban me from the forums.

I'd like to point out that the only reason i created this post was to promote  the Symantec product. Nothing negative was meant by me.

I'm really sorry if i made this forum "dirty" in any way. My sole reason was to point out a few great reviews and show that Norton Internet Security is doing a great job. Sorry for trying to do something good, in a harsh and surprising way.

Please go ahead and ban this account aswell :(.

Message Edited by Salihb2 on 02-13-2009 06:40 PM
Kudos0

Salihb2 wrote:

For some reason Symantec decided to ban me from the forums.

I'd like to point out that the only reason i created this post was to promote  the Symantec product. Nothing negative was meant by me.

I'm really sorry if i made this forum "dirty" in any way. My sole reason was to point out a few great reviews and show that Norton Internet Security is doing a great job. Sorry for trying to do something good, in a harsh and surprising way.

Please go ahead and ban this account aswell :(.

Message Edited by Salihb2 on 02-13-2009 06:40 PM

Unfortunately you used a vulgar 4 letter word.   Rather than a permanent ban, in this case your ban was for 3 days.   We won't ban you again at this time, due to the unusual circumstances.. but be aware what that word does in the future...  
Kudos0

Rohit1gupta wrote:

I agree speed has increased like hell but at a cost.

Earlier till 06, norton had a tremendous load on comp, but there was no malware or virus which could touch norton protected system.

No other product was near to symantec's quality.

It ended since norton started making software with lightning speed.

Now though speed is increased the quality sux.

Even freewares are able to detect viruses which norton can't detect with latest definitions even if the submission is done by users.

I would rather prefer super high protection with a bit of slowlyness.

One can buy $20 ram of extra 2gb and there will b no problem of loading but with less protection, one may loose matter of worth more than mere $20.

I don't know whether the virus designers have become mart or symantec has become lazy, but it has to be changed.

So, stop concentrating on speed, rather develop stronger protection, that all norton fans want. 

Norton 2006 Are you kidding me? That was the slowest version ever made. The only thing I miss from Norton 2006 is the simple, clean, elegant GUI.

And why do you think that Symantec focuses only on performance? Not only performance, Norton is quite improved since 2006 and has new features for better security. And yes, there is no security that has 100% detection.

Message Edited by Vejdin on 02-14-2009 11:23 AM
Kudos0

but 06 had 100% prot at dat time and what's use of new features, sonar is not able to detect new viruses.

i never saw sonar catching a virus in my pc 

Kudos0

Norton wasn't 100% in 2006 either.  There just weren't as many viruses, worms, and the ones that were around then were not as professionally developed as they are now.  The creation of malware has become much more of a profession instead of a spare time prank.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Yup i agree thats why i recommend to take antiviruses to next level.
Kudos0

Rohit1gupta wrote:

but 06 had 100% prot at dat time and what's use of new features, sonar is not able to detect new viruses.

i never saw sonar catching a virus in my pc 

Have you tried watching the youtube link i made in my topic?

Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU9U4f01H8M

Sonar actually did a pretty neat job there, when a malware broke through the regular protection system :). Nothing can protect 100% :).

Replies are locked for this thread.