• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

500GB hard drive appears as 100GB after Ghost 15 recovery

Hello!

I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop with a 100GB hard drive, which is getting very full.  I bought a 500GB drive, and attempted to clone the 100GB drive onto the 500GB drive using Norton Ghost 15 and an external USB housing.  Everything seemed to go all right, but the 500GB drive would not boot in the laptop.  I got a blue screen of death.  I decided that rather than waste any more time with trying to clone the drive, I would just do a clean, from-scratch installation. At that point I discovered that the new 500GB drive was showing a single partition of only 100GB. 

I tried to restore the drive as 500GB using Ghost 15.  I have restore points on an external USB drive.  I booted the laptop using the Ghost 15 Recovery Disk.  The restoration went just fine, but the drive still showed up as 100GB.  I attempted to change the size in the resize dialog, but it would not accept a size larger than that displayed.  I tried to type in a larger size, but to no avail.  It reverted to the displayed size.

I tried to use BootIt NG, but received a message that it wouldn’t work if Norton GoBack was active.  I deactivated Norton GoBack, but still got the same message when I attempted to use the BootIt CD.  I completely uninstalled Norton GoBack, and tried again.  Same result.  Evidently there is something lurking in the registry that tells BootIt that Norton GoBack is still active on my computer.

I downloaded and installed Partition Wizard Home Edition, but can not see anything therein that addresses my problem.

I have a PC into which I can install the Laptop drives, and work on them there, rather than have to use the external USB housing on the laptop, with continual swapping in and out of the laptop drives.

How do I get the 500GB drive capacity back?  Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,   Dickie105

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 500GB hard drive appears as 100GB after Ghost 15 recovery

Does Partition Wizard show the full size of your drive?

Does any of the drive's total space show as unallocated?

Kudos0

Dickie105,

Does the new HD show as 100 MB in the BIOS? If so you have the HPA (host protected area) truncation issue. Have a look through this and let us know.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-Ghost-14-cloned-version-won-t-recognize-ALL-the-space-on/m-p/117166

Questions?

Kudos0

Partition Wizard properties screen is below:

The BIOS shows the drive to be 98GB.

Will take a look at suggested HPA site and get back to you.

Many thanks for timely responses.

Kudos0

I used Roadkil's Sector Editor to zero LBA-3.  Then booted from Seagate Tools CD, and clicked on Set Capacity to Max Native, then EXIT. 

Booted from the hard drive.  Drive still shows as 100BG.

Now what?

Kudos0

See if the BIOS now shows the correct size of the drive.

If it does you can now add another partition or expand the one you have with partition wizzard.

Kudos0

BIOS shows "Primary Hard Drive = 98 GB HDD"

Kudos3

Dickie105,

Stand by. I'm away from home and I'm trying to get my instructions on using HDAT2. I get the impression that HDAT2 is better for removing HPAs on large HDs.

Edit...

http://www.hdat2.com/

Get the hdat2iso_48.rar and make a CD from the ISO.

The following instructions are confusing but I haven't had a chance to clean them up.

Q: Host Protected Area (HPA) vs. 28/48-bit LBA mode

A: There is a problem of incompatibility on some hard drives (e.g. Seagate) when you are using 48-bit command for removing Host Protected Area (HPA) created with 28-bit command.
48-bit command cannot remove HPA created with 28-bit command and vice-versa. Following solution is for disk supports 48-bit LBA mode only and if you have HPA greater than 127 GB.
Solution:

1. Power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
2. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Change 'LBA mode' from 48 to 28-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 28-bit LBA mode (127 GB).
3. Power-off PC (Important !), power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
4. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Leave the selected 48-bit 'LBA mode' Change 'LBA mode' from 28 to 48-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 48-bit LBA mode.
5. After restart you should get the full (native) capacity of hard drive.

When I did this you have to choose 28 bit, press S then Enter and restart. Next time 48 was present and S didn't work because the HPA was gone. I had already tried WD, Seagate and Hitachi tools and these didn't work. HD was Seagate SATA 60 GB. HDAT2 worked.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Got the hdat2iso_48.rar file, and made the CD from the ISO.  (Working with the RAR file was a bit of a bear.  Had to download WinRAR, and install it in order to open the RAV file, but I finally got it done.)

Booted from the HDAT2 CD.  Stumbled and bumbled my way along.  Rebooted after changing to 28-bits.  Using L key, switched back to 48-bits.  There was then no S key to select; so I just back out of it using the Esc key as far as it would take me, and then did a Ctrl+Alt+Del reboot.

The BIOS then showed the drive as 500GB.  Success!   Be still, my beating heart!    

Used Partition Wizard to resize the drive.  Ended up with a 4.76GB partition and 7.84GB of unallocated space.  Can’t figure out how to use that unallocated space, but what the hell, I’ve now got a 500GB drive back.   

Many thanks for your help and your patience. 

Cheers,    Dick Lannom

Kudos0

Corrections to my last:

line 2:  RAV should read RAR

line 7:  4.76GB should read 476GB

just sloppy typos

Sorry about that!

Replies are locked for this thread.