• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

AD-AWARE AND NORTON 2010 COMPATIBILITY

Hello to all. Great site::

I would just like to say that I am running ad-aware anti-virus, " spyware, " root plus internet security and Norton

2010 with nothing disabled . And they work in perfect harmony side by side. The ad-aware I bought and my computer runs vista home premium.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: AD-AWARE AND NORTON 2010 COMPATIBILITY

They do seem to co-exist quite happily, but ask yourself what is going to happen if they both recognize a threat at the same time.  Which one will allow the other one to quarantine the threat?  What if neither one quarantines it?  That is the reason we recommend only one antimalware program at a time.

Many infections have been seen on this forum with users running two programs.  Your call.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1

Re: AD-AWARE AND NORTON 2010 COMPATIBILITY

Hi! All,

I am running the Ad-Aware Professional Edition 2010 and NIS 2010 side by side with no problems.  In this instance NIS is the primary line of defense and Ad-Aware is the second line of defense.  It is hard coded into Ad-Aware that in the presence of a security suite that has a firewall or a recognized antivirus engine such as NAV, Ad-Aware will automatically take the secondary position.  Ad-Aware will not take action on a malware item unless the installed suite (in this case NIS) does not take action.  Ad-Aware is also configured in default installation to prevent interference with other legit security programs.  In my tests NIS will balk if you shut down Ad-Aware and Ad-Aware will balk if any NIS component is shut down.

For those who do not know; I beta tested both programs side by side before they were released to the public to ensure proper compatibility.  I was just one of several selected by Lavasoft for this task; others were selected to test Ad-Aware with either McAfee, Kasperskys, NOD32, and/or other security programs.  These tests were tough and thorough.

Lavasoft continues to monitor this and receive reports from current users in their own forums.

Replies are locked for this thread.