• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

can't open Norton 360

I just loaded Norton 360 and now when I try to open it it does nothing.  I can't open 360 or live update.  What gives???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: can't open Norton 360

I just loaded Norton 360 and now when I try to open it it does nothing.  I can't open 360 or live update.  What gives???
Kudos0

1     Have you restarted your PC since downloading.

2     Can you see the Icon in the Taskbar.

3      Something may have gone wrong with the load, possibly a re-install is needed.

What version of N360 is it, is it the purchased version  3,  or the version 4, which is a free Beta.

If it's vers.  3, you ready need to post it to the following Forum

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=Norton_360

If it's the vers 4 BETA, it should go here,

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=N360_4_pb

This will get it the right attention

Oh, and what operating system are you using on your PC ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kudos0

Download Norton Removal Tool from this LINK. Run the removal tool multiple times(2-3 times) to make sure that all components are uninstalled completely. Go to your Norton Account using this LINK and get the Product Key. You may require this same Product Key for activating the Norton 360 3.0. You can download a new copy of Norton 360 3.0 from any of the following links according to the edition you have(click on the link to to start the download):

For Norton 360: http://www.norton.com/n360s_3
For Norton 360 Premier Edition: http://www.norton.com/n360p_3

Then install Norton 360 using newly downloaded copy and activate it. After installing the Norton 360 3.0, run LiveUpdate repeatedly untill you see the message "No more updates" and then restart the computer. Then run a full system scan. Let us know the results.

Yogesh

Kudos1

Hi scooter

Did you install N360 because you have some malware on your computer? What was the previous security program that you used? Was the previous security program removed via add/remove and also the other company's removal tool? What o/s and service pack? Sorry for all the questions, but we need a little back up information here.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

I have Windows XP SP3.  Norton 360 version 3.  I've restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled...I've used the norton removal tool and reinstalled.  I've booted from the Norton disk and have run the recovery tool.  My previous version of Norton was about two years old...i never resubscribed.  I click on norton 360 and live update and nothing happens (other than the support tool coming up and telling me what to do if nothing happens when i click the icons...i've tried all these steps and nothing happens).

Thanks in advance for your help

Kudos0

Hi scooter

Do you have a current subscription for N360 that hasn't expired?

Kudos0

I only have this one subscription (only about a month old).  I've loaded Norton successfully on another computer.  Now that I'm trying to load it on a second I'm having the issues.
Kudos1

Hi scooter

It's possible that you have some malware on this computer which is interfering with the install process and blocking any updates to it.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because the malware writers know all about the malwarebytes program.

You can post the log by clicking on the add attachments directly below the post button. Thanks

Kudos0

Try to boot your computer in Safe Mode and start the installation from Safe Mode.
Kudos0

Thanks for everyone's help.  I ran the Malwarebytes program and it found 15 issues.  Once these were fixed I had no problems opening Norton. 

Thanks again everyone.

Kudos0

Hi scooter

Glad you got your problem solved. Would you please mark your thread as solved by clicking on the green button on the post which solved your problem. ?This way every one will know the problem is solved and also will be able to get to the solution quickly. Thanks.

Thanks for coming back to us and telling us you are fixed.

Kudos0

Scooter, could you post the log for us by using the add attachments link just below the orange post button.  Just to make sure you don't have something worse.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi scooter

You said you can now open N360, but is the program doing everything that it should be doing? By that I mean, are you getting the updates and can you run a scan and have it complete and what ever other functions you have it set up to do.

Kudos0

Hi scooter

I've just found out that even if your N360 is functioning properly, you may still have something lurking in your computer that shouldn't be there and may still be causing problems. I can't edit my previous post any more, so I am adding this post.

Kudos0

I won't repeat what Boneidle stated:

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit from Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and I had all kinds of problems with Norton.

As Boneidle stated it depends also on your version.

What happened to me was that Windows 7 did not like to play nice with N 360 v.4 the Public Beta, so I am not sure if it would affect 3.5 or not but it makes sense.

I kept getting the red message telling me that I was not protected. I wrote down my product key and then used the Norton Removal Tool.

You have to go to the Norton site and use the correct Removal Tool depending on your version is very important.

I didn't use the correct version of the Removal Tool. I used the 360 removal tool thinking since I have 360 that it would work.

It only made things worse. I had to load the Norton Removal Tool for 2010 Norton Products and always make sure to reboot.

Everyone is saying this but it is VERY IMPORTANT since if you don't you will not have removed it correctly and if you use another removal tool before you finish by rebooting the tool will not work correctly and you will have even more problems.

I know this because I did it...lol.

Once I did it correctly and using the Norton Removal Tool for 2010 products, rebooting and then reloading Norton Public Beta v.4.0, put in my key. Everything was working fine and I got my wonderful green bar saying I was secured.

Now, Windows 7 and Norton are playing nicely.

Remember, if we never had any problems with Windows Programs, that being Microsoft, there wouldn't be so many SP packs and they wouldn't need jobs.

Good Luck and as Boneidle stated as well as the other persons have said let us know how you do.  These are very caring and helpful people with good hearts and a lot of knowledge.

Hope this helps and everything works out for you!

I will also post this on the Public Beta Norton 360 4.0 site as well.

Kind Regards,

Cheers,medic505OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)Hardware: HP HDX X18T-1200 CTO NotebookBeta: NIS 18.0.0.114Other Beta: Microsoft Office Proressional Plus 1010vers: 14.0.4536.1000 (32-bit)

Replies are locked for this thread.