• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

has Norton 360 been hacked?

i followed all steps to activate my PAID subscription to Norton 360 premier 4.0 - nothing works.
I clicked on 'download proper version- downloaded downloader.exe for norton - nothing happens, I get a flash but so fast I can't read it.
I use my PAID key and get invalid product error message.
Correct version WAS INSTALLED, just fixed this same problem last month.
Now some other version is installed (different serial number) and it did this without my notification or permission.
Norton IS a FRIGGIN VIRUS!!!
IT HAS ALL THE HALLMARKS OF MALWARE!
Now there are 95 people ahead of me in support???? Has Norton been hacked? it sure sounds like it!
I have spent hours this month fixing Nortons skrewups. I want my money back.
From what I hear Kaspersky installs itself, stays installed and does not replace itself with something else without permission or notice.
I want to give Kaspersky a chance. I am documenting this for small claims court.
And Better Business Bureau complaint.
Since I tried to download the 'proper version' my other software is misbehaving, refusing to allow me to save filenames other than default - I find this very disconcerting...

If Norton PREMIER (premier being the very best, top grade, etc.) cannot protect its own installation, prevent uninstallation (especially without notice or permission) or prevent its being replaced by another version (again without permission or notice) then what am I paying for???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: has Norton 360 been hacked?

On the other hand, my Norton 360 seemingly uninstalled N360 prem 4 and reinstalled Norton360 STANDARD wITHOUT MY PERSMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE!

Now trying to fix this problem for the second time in two months - and Pakistan isn't helping!!! (or whoever) since they can't seem to understand plain english!

Kudos0

11-07-2010 01:54 PM

i followed all steps to activate my PAID subscription to Norton 360 premier 4.0 - nothing works.
I clicked on 'download proper version- downloaded downloader.exe for norton - nothing happens, I get a flash but so fast I can't read it.
I use my PAID key and get invalid product error message.
Correct version WAS INSTALLED, just fixed this same problem last month.
Now some other version is installed (different serial number) and it did this without my notification or permission.
Norton IS a FRIGGIN VIRUS!!!
IT HAS ALL THE HALLMARKS OF MALWARE!
Now there are 95 people ahead of me in support???? Has Norton been hacked? it sure sounds like it!
I have spent hours this month fixing Nortons skrewups. I want my money back.
From what I hear Kaspersky installs itself, stays installed and does not replace itself with something else without permission or notice.
I want to give Kaspersky a chance. I am documenting this for small claims court.
And Better Business Bureau complaint.
Since I tried to download the 'proper version' my other software is misbehaving, refusing to allow me to save filenames other than default - I find this very disconcerting...

If Norton PREMIER (premier being the very best, top grade, etc.) cannot protect its own installation, prevent uninstallation (especially without notice or permission) or prevent its being replaced by another version (again without permission or notice) then what am I paying for???

Demand a refund and try Kaspersky?

Kudos0

check the serial number of what you supposedly have installed - it will probably NOT match the serial number of what you bought - good luck with this junk, that is the cause of the 'invalid product key' message.

Ask yourself, HOW and WHY did something other than what you bought suddenly appear as installed on your machine - without your permission or notification???

And why do the people you pay for 'privacy and security' want YOU to surrender that same privacy and security to SOMEONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IS NOT A MEMBER OF AL QUAEDA so they can 'fix the problem 'remotely'.

Then, after much argument they concede that they CAN TELL YOU THE STEPS TO FIX THE PROBLEM YOURSELF.

Norton is getting weirder by the day...

Kudos0

WHAT?! Email addresses NEVER change! They are written in stone, any idiot knows that!

Have you ever had the 'get back to you' feature that only responds to your dead email account! I just LOVE it when that happens.

My theory is - college educated idiots...

Kudos0

In misc settings do you have automatically download new version ticked?

Kudos0

No, and it seems to be re-installing the trial version that came with the computer when I bought it - or it is (worse) actually a malware that pretends to be Norton and isn't.

Last month I had to reinstall from factory disks to get rid of malware (presumed) in that deleting files (even 16 gb of game files) continued to show NO FREE DISK SPACE - so I saved what I could and reinstalled from factory image disks - which reinstalled the trial standard n360 version which I then UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED N360 PREMIER 4 - which proceeded to show I had no installs left (due to repeats of this same problem, my installs were exhausted as I am becoming!) so -

after I got it working again, one day last week I booted up and - I AM ONCE AGAIN ON A TRIAL VERSION OF SOFTWARE I DID NOT INSTALL OR ACTIVATE and I just tried to 'download' the proper version (al la help screen instructions) and NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN I RUN IT!!!

I still am stuck with 17 days left of my over 300 remaining paid days and no explanations or help from Symantec which is why I am considering small claims court.

Kudos0

PS in Norton 360 premier there IS NO 'misc settings' per se. Nothing listed under settings for task either. Besides, Premier 4.0 IS the latest version or so I was told.

Thanks for your trying to help but I think this is beyond repair, I did not contract for defective software that I get to 'fix' repeatedly every other week, month or year forever.

Kudos0

Hello jbodden6977,

Sorry for the troubles you are experiencing. 

If you're using Norton 360 Premier, make sure you download the Premier build or else the key won't work.

Here's the link to download Norton 360 Premier

If you're still having issues, please send me a Private Message with your Activation Key and I'll check and see if there is something wrong with the key.

Also, the Serial Number and the Activation Key are not the same thing. So if you activate your software, the Serial Number will not match the Activation Key. 

If you can't activate because of the number of activations being used up, you will need to contact Customer Support (Chat is the quickest method), and let them know you need to have the count reset due to you restoring your computer to factory settings. 

Also, please keep in mind that if you backed up files on an infected computer and then restored those files after you wiped your computer, those files could have re-infected your computer. Be sure to use caution when restoring from a computer that's infected.

Let me know if this helps. If not, we'll continue to work towards a solution.  

Kudos0

Before proceeding further with troubleshooting, I would suggest to try to run Norton Power Eraser tool and make sure that your computer is free from any threats/viruses/malwares:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Check if it detects any threats and if it does, please provide us the filename and other details. Don't fix any files now, you can fix those after getting confirmation in this thread.

Yogesh

Replies are locked for this thread.