• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Help with 67.201.36.16 virus

I was surfing the net when I clicked a link and observed this address 67.201.36.16 show up in my browsing history with the word nolink in the URL in the history folder.  I did some research in search engines and read some online material and I am very fearful of this.  Norton's site checker website says this site is safe, but the other company's site checker website shows this address red.  I do not know what to do or how to check to see if I am infected because I have read online that several protecting software packages can not detect this.  Also, I have read that W32/Virut is involve with this address and read in another place that W32/Kryptik is involve.

Please Help

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Help with 67.201.36.16 virus

I was surfing the net when I clicked a link and observed this address 67.201.36.16 show up in my browsing history with the word nolink in the URL in the history folder.  I did some research in search engines and read some online material and I am very fearful of this.  Norton's site checker website says this site is safe, but the other company's site checker website shows this address red.  I do not know what to do or how to check to see if I am infected because I have read online that several protecting software packages can not detect this.  Also, I have read that W32/Virut is involve with this address and read in another place that W32/Kryptik is involve.

Please Help

Kudos1

You don't mention what version of N360 you have loaded on your system.  It is available in the Help&Support > About menu on the main user screen.

If it is v3.5 or better, then try running a full system scan in Safe Mode.  First, manually run Live Update by clicking "Run Live Update" in the lower left corner; do this until it either errors (if the internet is blocked) or the message comes back that there are no more updates for you system.  Second, reboot your system and when it is restarting, tap the F8 key until the Advanced Startup Options menu is displayed.  Select Safe Mode (no Command Prompt or Networking) and press ENTER.  After you have logged in, double click the N360 desktop Icon and follow the messages to run a full system scan.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Win7 x32 SP1
Kudos0

Thanks!  I have N360 v3.5.2.11 and XP Pro (SP3) with IE8.  In normal mode for XP, I ran Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and the results were clean.  I just do not know if root viruses can be detected.  The computer seems to run normal speed and nothing new and unusual happens in IE8.  I did try booting in safe mode after my research and safe mode appears to work okay.  I will try running a full scan in Safe Mode.
Kudos0

I ran N360 under Safe Mode and nothing was found.

FYI:  When I was browsing the net when the address appeared, I was using a non-admin account.

Kudos1

Hi a123

If you run Spybot with TeaTimer on, that will conflict with your Norton product as it will preven any repairs that need to be done with the registry. Adaware also has a real time function always running even if you only use it on scan occasionally. Both of those programs will interfere with the installation and the effectiveness of your Norton product. Most rootkits can't be found with the programs you mentioned as they are always changing and trying to keep ahead of the security programs.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

I have TeaTimer and the Ad-Aware service turned off.  I only turn Ad-Aware on when I do a manual scan.  Do you have a suggestion for what software can detect rootkits?  Can N360 detect rootkits?
Kudos2

The Web address You state in your history goes to no download just a " Sorry, not sure what you are looking for"

With Nothing downloading in the background that is trying to infect my PC

Quads 

Kudos0

Thanks for the info on the address.  I was not sure because I read information online about this address that concern me.  Norton's competitor shows this address as red and I believe they say that their browser was breached.  I would like to know if N360 is the best way to protect against and detect rootkits.

Kudos0

It could be as has been see in the past with other addresses that the address was in use by someone to spread malware.

Then it gets shut down by the host or whoever due to like terms and conditions violations etc.  

There are independent reports for AV testing showing Symantec has pulled Norton up to the top,  Gold position blah blah.

Quads  

Kudos0

could somebody possibly be hacking into your computer ? ... or did your search get redirected like, if you was using google, are you getting redirected to other malicious pages ?.

if so, they redirect you to other pages like ...Online PC Scanner. or if this redirect has just happened once, or you've gone onto the  

XXX. 67.201.36.16.com site and its redirected you to a similar site or something. is anything also appearing on N360 ? ... like .. auto-protect has blocked [ Virus ]. your system is now secure ? .. if so then the virus has not entered you pc YET.

if auto protect disables, or you disable IT then the virus may enter the PC or Laptop. I think that if the virus enters the pc norton will recognise and track it down. but it has not entered the pc yet if the auto protect is happening.

<<Edit: Disabled active links to unknown websites>>

Message Edited by TomV on 01-11-2010 03:35 AM
Zain Hussain AKA AC Vista
Kudos0

I clicked on a link on a website and saw this address appear in my browsing history while the link site was appearing.  I have pop-up blocker turn on and I believe the address was a redirection pop-up blocked.  I did not see any Norton alerts (messages) and I did have auto-protect turn on.

Is "Disabled active links to unknown websites" an IE configuration setting?

Kudos1

Hi a123

That was done by one of the Forum Mods to protect the users of the Forum from clicking on a potentially bad site or unknown if good or bad.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Replies are locked for this thread.