• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 and IE8 "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly".

Hi All,

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook running Windows 7 and IE8. I recently upgraded to NIS 2010 and a curious issue has developed. When I boot up the computer or reboot, the first time I open IE8 I get the following message:

"Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" and gives me the options of going to my home page or return to my last browsing session.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

Thanks,

Garrman

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 and IE8 "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly".

Hi! Garman,

Welcome to the Norton Community. :)  The issue you are describing affects IE8 on Windows XP through Windows 7 whether NIS 2010 is installed or not.  This generally means that IE8 did not properly close the last time it was used; try checking for any updates from Microsoft for your computer download and intall any that appear with the exception of any driver files it is best to get those from the device manufacturer themselves.  Also try running chkdsk /r to check for any disk errors that may have occurred. (It is a remote possibility even on brand new systems.)

Kudos0

Hi Tech83,

Thanks for the reply.

I have four computers in the house running IE8 and only the two running NIS 2010 have this problem.

All the computers in the house receive regular updates so I think we can rule that out.

One test I ran was to disable the components in the "web" section of NIS 2010. Since I disabled these items, IE8 opens after a boot or reboot without issue.

Any thoughts?

Kudos0

Hi Garrman,

Check whether IE 8 is set to ALLOW in the Program Rules of Firewall Settings. Then try resetting the IE 8 settings, here are the steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.  

5. Uncheck the crash recovery feature.

Let us know how it goes.

Yogesh
Kudos0

Hi Yogesh,

I'm having trouble finding Program Rules under Norton Fire Wall settings. Can you provide a bit more detail?

I have reset IE8 settings but that did not resolve the issue.

While I appreciate your last suggestion, I am reluctant to uncheck the crash recovery check box as that would serve to mask the problem rather than solve it.

One detail I failed to mention was the OS of my household computers:

1) Desktop- Windows XP, IE8, NAV Corporate 7, no issues.

2) Laptop- Windows Vista Home Premium, IE8, NIS 2008, no issues

3) Laptop- Windows 7, IE8, NIS 2010, has  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" issue

4)  Laptop- Windows 7, IE8, NIS 2010, has  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" issue

I have nothing but standard programs on the laptops with issues (MS Office 2007). I am a bit puzzled that more users aren't seeing this behavior.

Thanks,

Kudos0

Hi Yogesh,

I was able to find the Norton Firewall settings. I had to maximize the window to see the scroll bar. I was able to see the Program Rules and set IE8 to "Allow". I will let you know if this solves the issue.

Thanks,

Garrman

Kudos0

No such luck. I set IE8 to allow in program rules but the problem still remains.

I'm out of ideas on this. Anyone?

Kudos0

As follows

Tool, internet options, home page, click use blank.

If not resolved

Consider this.

Tools, internet options, advanced, untick enable automatic crash recovery

It could then be possible to attach a debugging program to IE8 and actually see what is causing the problem.

Also have you considered opening IE8 (with no add ons) I dont know if this option is in Win 7. In XP for example it is in accessories, system tools. If not then create a new shortcut on the desktop and point to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff. Change to reflect actual location of iexplore.exe but ensure you add -extoff.

Logically, if the problem does not present itself during normal use and you can open and close IE8 without issue, then there is no reason it should do what it is doing on reboot. So I would be looking to see what is in your autoruns and services.

Let me know if you need more.

Kudos0

Garrman wrote:

One detail I failed to mention was the OS of my household computers:

1) Desktop- Windows XP, IE8, NAV Corporate 7, no issues.

2) Laptop- Windows Vista Home Premium, IE8, NIS 2008, no issues

3) Laptop- Windows 7, IE8, NIS 2010, has  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" issue

4)  Laptop- Windows 7, IE8, NIS 2010, has  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" issue

I have nothing but standard programs on the laptops with issues (MS Office 2007). I am a bit puzzled that more users aren't seeing this behavior.

Thanks,

Are both laptops Fujitsu Lifebooks'? Is there any proprietary Fujitsu software on the laptop that runs during startup?

Like Vista, Windows 7 will be keeping track of any hardware/software problems that you are having with your laptop and it will offer a solution to fix the issue if there is one available. To check what problems Windows has identified with your IE8 browser, please do the following:

1. Click the Start button. In the Search box, type 'problem'.
  2. In the Search results, choose 'View all problem reports'.
  3. Under the 'Source' column, look for an 'Internet Explorer' entry with a date/time stamp that corresponds to when you restarted.
  4. Check the 'Status' column. If it displays 'Solution available', right-click on the entry and choose 'View solution'. Assess the solution offered and apply it if you think it may potentially resolve your issue. If you are uncertain, then please post the solution details so that we can assist you.
  5. If the 'Status' column reads 'Report sent', then double-click or right-click and select 'View technical details'.
  6. Depending on the type of problem, you should see an entry called 'Fault Module Name' under the 'Problem Signature' section. Please advise the name of the faulting module if this entry is listed. Alternatively, select 'Copy to clipboard' at the bottom of the window and paste it into your next post.

While you mentioned earlier that "One test I ran was to disable the components in the "web" section of NIS 2010. Since I disabled these items, IE8 opens after a boot or reboot without issue.", the above procedure should confirm whether or not it is a Norton process that is causing the problem.

Please advise.

Kudos0

elsewhere and cgoldman,

Thanks for the tips. Although they did not lead directly to a solution, I now have a better grasp of the problem.

Thanks to the suggestions offered, I looked in Task Manager to see what was running expecting to find a Norton process affecting IE*. What I observed instead was that two instances of iexplorer.exe would open (one with ~40K memory, one with ~6K memory). After shutting down IE8 via the red "X", one process would shut down immediately but the second instance (~6K memory) would take approx 1 minute to shut down. If I stopped the process via TAsk Manager, I would receive the original error message upon restart.

I also notice that seems to only happen on my Windows 7 + NIS 2010 laptops. The laptop with Vista Home Premium + NIS 2008 does not exhibit these symptoms.

I have searched the internet but have found no direct reference to this issue. I'm sort of stuck at this point.

Kudos0

Two iexplore is not abnormal in certain situations. To satisfy me would you please do the following.

Goto Tools, goto internet options, click "use blank" for your home. Click "Apply", click "ok". close IE8. Make sure no other IE8 is open.

I know I asked this before, but please one more time just in case.

Now check task manager, how many Iexplores running ?

If 2 problem persists

if 1 assume resolved, and reboot.

Please advise again.

Kudos0

cgoldman,

I tried the experiment as instructed and still had two instances of iexplore.exe running. I tweaked a bit further and found with a blank home page or yahoo, if I didn't navigate from the home page, both instances of iexplore.exe terminate immediately on shut down of IE.

Good information, not sure what it means.

Kudos0

Set your home page to google.

Close ie8 and open ie8 and check that only one tab is open and displays google homepage.

enter yahoo.com in address field and navigate to Yahoo.

Close ie8

Ok when you now reboot and the problem returns, what happens when you select from the two options "return to last browsing session". What page does it go to?

Please download Autoruns from Microsoft website and install into its own directory c:\autoruns

create a shortcut on the desktop to run the executable.

Kudos0

cgoldman, et al,

Thanks for your suggestions. They helped lead me to the solution. You're not going to believe this.

I had disabled most of the auto complete functions because I like a clean address bar. I did this the same day I installed NIS 2010.

Once I started looking at the iexplore.exe process, I began to understand the cause of the problem (process not ending prior to shut down) and went from there. What I found through experimentation and elimination was that if I checked all the boxes on the auto complete dialog box, both instances of iexplore.exe would terminate immediately when I closed IE8 down.

What I don't understand is that with all the computers running windows 7, IE8, and NIS 2010, nobody else is experiencing this error? I am still a bit unclear as to what is at the root of this behavior and am open to any feedback or suggestions.

The bottom line is that I have found a work-around that alleviates the symptoms without impairing IE8's native crash protection.

Thanks to all for input and support.

Replies are locked for this thread.