• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

NIS 2011 DOWNLOAD.

Here you can download nis 2011. the download link is http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis11/

or www.norton.com/nis11. go for the 2011.........

[edit: fixed broken link]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 DOWNLOAD.

ravi4989 wrote:

Here you can download nis 2011. the download link is http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis11/

or www.norton.com/nis11. go for the 2011.........

Hi ravi4989,

Welcome to the Norton Community.  What is your current product and exact version from Help & Support > About? What OS and SP do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

The direct links have not yet all been established by Symantec but I have confirmed that your first link does download the official version of NIS 2011 as you would get from the Norton Update center. Your second link is broken as it has not been established by Symantec yet.

So you can either use this link to download the full version or you can visit the Norton Update center and upgrade your current version from there.

Please note that the full version from your first link is for the English version so if you need a different language I would recommend the Update center route for the time being.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Is > http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis11/ the stand alone installer for 2011 for licensed users with 2010

The file is only 24MB... ?  and has "buy" in the file name > http://buy-download.norton.com

Will this buy-download ~ 24MB overinstall 2010 .... why the "buy" and not NIS-Upgrade ?

Why only 24MB ?

Thnx

NIS21.6 | VistaSP2 FF33 IE9 Compaq A931NR | Sandboxie | VoodooShield
Kudos0

bjm_ wrote:

Is > http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis11/ the stand alone installer for 2011 for licensed users with 2010

The file is only 24MB... ?  and has "buy" in the file name > http://buy-download.norton.com

Will this buy-download ~ 24MB overinstall 2010 .... why the "buy" and not NIS-Upgrade ?

Why only 24MB ?

Thnx

It does not appear to be 24mb. It does not have "buy" in the file name.

Kudos1

Hi Bjm_

Don't be concerned about the buy-download.norton.com. The same thing shows up if you go to the similar link for NIS 2010.

http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis10

But you should be seeing a length of 91.2 MB. That is what I get and I tested this by actually downloading it before posting that it was OK.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos1

cgoldman wrote:

bjm_ wrote:

Why only 24MB ?

Thnx

It does not appear to be 24mb. It does not have "buy" in the file name.

Hi Cgoldman,

Bjm_ was referring to the buy.... thing in the URL when you actually invoke the download and get the Save As dialog. Again this is normal and is the same as NIS 2010.

Allen

Kudos0

Hello Topic et al

Well, I pulled the download and my saved file is 24MB....so, I'll try another pull.

I was expecting approx 90MB

I expected it would be some time (a few weeks at least) before an official stand alone installer link was published....

Thought 24MB was too small

the "buy" seemed like it was for new subscribers or a trial ...

thnk for the feedback....

Kudos0

Hi Bjm_

Yeah you may have gotten a bad pull. I did it twice more and got the expected 91.2 MB.

As I mentioned the buy.... thing is just the URL which you see in the Save dialog and it is the same using this link to download NIS 2010. This has always been there when using that link.

I too was surprised this link was working. When I tried it this morning it was not working and many if not most of the direct links still do not appear to be established and you are correct, they probably will not be fully populated for a couple of weeks or so maybe somewhat longer.

So for the most part the sure fire way of getting the NIS 2011 update is through the Norton Update Center.

Let me know if you get a good download this time.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos2

Hi Folks,

Actually the standard link http://www.norton.com/nis11 is working already. I just realized the OP had a period at the end of the URL making it appear to be a broken link.

Looks like the links are starting to get propagated already.

Allen

Kudos1

The first link provided by ravi4989  let me upgrade NIS to v18.1.0.37.

Having upgraded I ran update and my new NIS 2011 d/led an installed over 70mB.

30 mins later another 45 mB got d/led and installed. Version is still the same - 18.1.037.

I guess this must be a fine upgrade to a new version.

Thnx for the link.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bitAsus P8Z77-V Deluxe -- Intel Core i5-3570KCorsair Vengeance DDR3 8GbAMD Radeon HD6850 (Asus EAH6850)
Kudos0

Hello AllenM

OK...if at first you don't suceed....

NIS-ESD-18-1-0-37-EN  ~ 91.2 MB

File Insight >

Downloaded from 

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/CLT/NIS/US/2011/18.1/ESD/NIS-ESD-18-1-0-37-EN.exe

SAFE
Downloaded File:
nis-esd-18-1-0-37-en.exe

I see you fixed the other link as well.... Kudos

still surprised published links so soon ...

Thnx mucho !

Kudos1

Viscon wrote:

30 mins later another 45 mB got d/led and installed. Version is still the same - 18.1.037.

Thnx for the link.

Did you perchance set the Smart Definitions to ON?  That would also explain the additional 45MB download.

Win7 x32 SP1
Kudos0

bjm_ wrote:

Hello AllenM

I see you fixed the other link as well.... Kudos

still surprised published links so soon ...

Thnx mucho !

I wish I could take the credit for fixing the links but that is on Symantec. I just reported that they were fixed.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

db wrote:

Did you perchance set the Smart Definitions to ON?  That would also explain the additional 45MB download.

So, what's this Smart Definitions thingy.... before, I do the deed... Do I want Smart Definitions set to ON ?

What's default for this Smart Definitions thingy ?

Is there an Optimizer option with 2011....if there is I want to disable it before it has a chance to run. 

Thnx

@ AllenM

credit is a one way street...once given your stuck with it 

Kudos2

Hi Bjm_,

Thanks my friend.

Setting Smart Definitions to on will cause NIS to download only Core definitions which Help indicates will minimize download time and system startup time.

However this is not the recommended setting. Setting Smart Definitions to OFF (default) will download the full virus definitions.

Before you ask I am not 100% sure what "core" definitions really means but I intend to find out because I know that question will come up over time.

Dbrisendine might have more information on this setting. If not I will find out from Symantec.

When I was participating in the BETA I did not get around to messing with that setting.

But I would highly recommend leaving this at OFF.

If you click on the little ? in that section it gives an explanation of this setting.

The Idle Time Optimizer is in Misc Settings > Idle Time Optimizer.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

Hi,

where I find NIS 2011 PL (polish version)?

Kudos2

marek234-

what happeneds when you go to the norton update senter? http://updatecenter.norton.com

Try changing the language from the top of the screen. does that do anything?

----"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
Kudos0

marek324 wrote:

Hi,

where I find NIS 2011 PL (polish version)?

HI marek324,

It appears that the direct link for the full version of NIS 2011 Polish is not yet available as I just checked.

As whiplash said it would be better to visit http://updatecenter.norton.com/  and select your language from the drop down list as depicted over here.

It looks like it is available through this link.

Please let us know if you get it OK.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos2

bjm_ wrote:

So, what's this Smart Definitions thingy.... before, I do the deed... Do I want Smart Definitions set to ON ?

What's default for this Smart Definitions thingy ?

Hi bjm_,

Basically, Norton gives you a choice of two definitions sets to use: an all-inclusive Complete Set with definitions for every threat known to Symantec, or a smaller Core Set which includes definitions only for malware that you are actually likely to encounter in the real world.  The Core Set downloads quicker, takes up far less hard drive space and lets your system start and run faster.  It is lighter because Symantec went through the closet and threw out all those old obsolete signatures that you would probably never use again anyway.  The Complete Set, on the other hand, has saved everything, just in case you might need it again someday.  The Complete Set is a huge database and growing bigger all the time.  Turning off Smart Definitions (the default) means that you will get the maximum amount of protection that is provided by using the full unabridged Complete Set.  On the other hand, you will get better system performance and other benefits with only a negligible or very modest reduction in protection by enabling Smart Definitions.  The tradeoff is that you do assume some risk, however slight and calculated, in forgoing signatures for inactive threats that are no longer likely to be encountered in general circulation.   

Kudos1

AllenM wrote:

Hi Bjm_,

Thanks my friend.

Setting Smart Definitions to on will cause NIS to download only Core definitions which Help indicates will minimize download time and system startup time.

However this is not the recommended setting. Setting Smart Definitions to OFF (default) will download the full virus definitions.

Before you ask I am not 100% sure what "core" definitions really means but I intend to find out because I know that question will come up over time.

Dbrisendine might have more information on this setting. If not I will find out from Symantec.

When I was participating in the BETA I did not get around to messing with that setting.

But I would highly recommend leaving this at OFF.

If you click on the little ? in that section it gives an explanation of this setting.

The Idle Time Optimizer is in Misc Settings > Idle Time Optimizer.

Thanks

Allen

I'm with Allen om this.  Why would you want to assume any risk? 

CraigGateway (NV73); Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit; NIS 2013 (20.2.0.19); IE 10; Chrome (24.0.1312.52);Tune Up Utilities 2013; System Mechanic (11.1.1.2)
Kudos1

dbrisendine wrote:

Viscon wrote:

Thnx for the link.

Yes I did. And now I'm wondering whether it'd be better to turn it OFF or let it stay ON.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bitAsus P8Z77-V Deluxe -- Intel Core i5-3570KCorsair Vengeance DDR3 8GbAMD Radeon HD6850 (Asus EAH6850)
Kudos2

If you want maximum protection, turn if off. If you need maximum speed on a low-end system, with less protection against older/rare malware, keep it on.

Kudos1

I'm reserving judgment on this.  There is no doubt that the incredible amount of malware that is produced has caused definition files to expand to enormous proportions.  Folks on dial-up are already having a tough time downloading these behemoths.  The Smart Definitions seems like an elegant solution because it is true that many of the signatures in these files are standing guard against threats that are no longer, or never were, likely to be seen in the wild.  Clearly definition files cannot continue to grow at the rate they are today and remain a viable weapon against malware.  Perhaps continued improvements in detections based on heuristics and reputation will allow signature files to be reduced to more manageable sizes with no loss in effectiveness.  While I'm definitely a Complete Set kind of guy at the moment, I am eager to see how well the use of only a Core Set of signatures compares to results being attained in the real world with current practices.

Kudos0

Hello Topic et al,

OK...so, per SendOfJive ~ Norton gives me a choice of two definitions sets to use: an all-inclusive Complete Set with definitions for every threat known to Symantec, or a smaller Core Set which includes definitions only for malware that you are actually likely to encounter in the real world.

Viscon had Smart Definitions on ....so, Viscon (initially) received the smaller Core Set ~ 70MB

So, with Smart Definitions on .... why did Viscon receive the additional 45MB.  

The additional 45MB sounds like the larger Complete Set.

Viscon wrote:
And now I'm wondering whether it'd be better to turn it OFF or let it stay ON.

SendOfJive wrote:

Turning off Smart Definitions (the default) means that you will get the maximum amount of protection that is provided by using the full unabridged Complete Set.  On the other hand, you will get better system performance and other benefits with only a negligible or very modest reduction in protection by enabling Smart Definitions.

Bombastus wrote:
If you want maximum protection, turn if off. If you need maximum speed on a low-end system, with less protection against older/rare malware, keep it on.

OK...tell me if I've been following the bouncing ball ...

Viscon with Smart Definitions on ... received 70MB + 45MB which would appear to be the Complete Set.

1) So, with Smart Definitions On or Off we all will get the available (at the time) Complete Set anyway.  

Either, if initially set to OFF(default) or if set to ON... then 30 min later.  &  The Complete Set is growing bigger all the time. 

2) So, then Norton gives us the choice to toggle between using either the Complete Set (which will grow over time) or the Core Set.  As per Bombastus -- Viscon may toggle between the two sets. If you want maximum protection, turn if off. If you need maximum speed on a low-end system, with less protection against older/rare malware, keep it on.

3) The decision then for Viscon and for all users based upon the info per SendOfJive...

The Complete Set is a huge database and growing bigger all the time.
Turning off Smart Definitions (the default) means that you will get the maximum amount of protection that is provided by using the full unabridged Complete Set.  On the other hand, you will get better system performance and other benefits with only a negligible or very modest reduction in protection by enabling Smart Definitions.

4) ..the other benefits might be ?

5) ..and, I may toggle between the Complete Set or the Core Set at anytime... as often as I deem necessary ?

This is allot for me to filter through and consider...

as SendOfJIve wrote:

I'm reserving judgment on this.  While I'm definitely a Complete Set kind of guy at the moment, I am eager to see how well the use of only a Core Set of signatures compares to results being attained in the real world with current practices.

6) The option to toggle between Sets at will...would seem like allot of work for the program....?

I can imagine Smart Definitions will be getting some user queries....

Kudos0

Ummm...

[...] be sure to take a moment to open the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Wizard and follow the simple steps to create your customized Rescue Boot Disk [..]

The 2011 NBRT that I will create via the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Wizard ~ will be the Complete Set or the Core Set and upon updating the NBRT...I will (only) be updating either the Complete Set or the Core Set....?

my head hurts    

Kudos1

bjm_ wrote:

Hello Topic et al,

OK...so, per SendOfJive ~ Norton gives me a choice of two definitions sets to use: an all-inclusive Complete Set with definitions for every threat known to Symantec, or a smaller Core Set which includes definitions only for malware that you are actually likely to encounter in the real world.

Viscon had Smart Definitions on ....so, Viscon (initially) received the smaller Core Set ~ 70MB

So, with Smart Definitions on .... why did Viscon receive the additional 45MB.  

The additional 45MB sounds like the larger Complete Set. 

Hi Bjm_

I suspect the reason for this is because after turning Smart Definitions on, NIS had to replace definitions with the smaller set. So instead of trying to deal with adjusting for the delta, NIS probably downloads *all* the definitions consistent with the new setting of this parameter.

And definitely with whatever setting (on or off) one wants to make, toggling back and forth repeatedly would NOT be advised.

The NBRT is for used when problems are suspected so it will always include the complete set of definitions.

Speaking of NBRT, have you noticed how much more streamlined it is compared to 2010? I've been waiting anxiously for this moment because it was actually hard to recommend the 2010 NBRT on the forum because it was so complicated.

SendOfJive, tremendously good explanation of Smart Definitions. I was tihnk along kind of similar lines but since I did not know first hand I did not want to postulate an explanation myself.

Best wishes all.

Allen

Kudos0

Hello AllenM

Ah Ha ! ...

I was following the bouncing ball...but, apparently I must have lost it for a moment.

re > Q: Did you perchance set the Smart Definitions to ON?  That would also explain the additional 45MB download.

A: Yes I did. And now I'm wondering whether it'd be better to turn it OFF or let it stay ON.

So, by default setting with Smart Definitions Off > all users & Viscon will install the Complete Set.  &

by toggling Smart Definitions to On ~ Norton drop'd in the Core Set over the Complete Set. 

As I have yet to do the deed ... I imagined Viscon was at some point offered the choice (Complete/Core) before the install.

Now, after I did my Homer Simpson ~ Doh! 

I now realize Viscon toggled away from default and that's what prompted the Core Set 45MB to be drop'd in.  & 

as you wrote:

[...] definitely with whatever setting (on or off) one wants to make, toggling back and forth repeatedly would NOT be advised.

Geez... would have been nice if Viscon had received an info popup as to the result of toggling Smart Definitions to On.

So, best advice for users might be to leave 2011 setup at default and to inquire about what happens if .... 

After I work my way out of my own self induced state of confusion... I'll be ready for 2011

P.S. any other new options or functions to consider before I proceed

Kudos1

Hi Bjm_

There are several new options in NIS 2011, but they're all good ones.

Oh and how about the one which generated a lot of complaints in 2010? You remember the one which kept giving you those annoying pop-ups for innocent little cookies?

That has been changed too so it no longer alerts you with a big red X.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos1

Hello

I'm wondering how the malware writers are going to react when they find out that you have a choice of getting just the newer definitions or getting the complete set including the older ones. I'm wondering if they find out that most are going for the smaller definiton updates, if they will start writing malware based on the older ones which aren't included in the smaller updates....Will this bring back a resurgence of older types of malware?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Question so I can decide how to load nis 2011 on my rather small machine...how does the size of norton with it all old and new defs compare to 2010 in mb's?  I realize it cont' to grow.

Just want to know for my personal choice.  Im not sure how to find this out on my own.

Kudos0

I installed 2011 , so far so good.  I assume this one runs lighter.

Kudos0

craigun wrote:

Not so much wanting to assume a greater risk but for example if you are still on dial up (and we get questions here from those who are) or want to get up and running quickly leaving a full update for when you are less busy.

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

craigun wrote:

Not so much wanting to assume a greater risk but for example if you are still on dial up (and we get questions here from those who are) or want to get up and running quickly leaving a full update for when you are less busy.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

My concern with this is in changing this option to off vs on at different times. I'm sure the intent was to pretty much decide on the desired setting and leave it. Toggling back and forth "might" cause problems over time as NIS has to keep adjusting it's definition database.

I'm sure changing it sometimes is probably Ok, but at what point might it actually cause problems? I guess only time will tell for sure.

Allen

Kudos0

floplot wrote:

Hello

I'm wondering how the malware writers are going to react when they find out that you have a choice of getting just the newer definitions or getting the complete set including the older ones. I'm wondering if they find out that most are going for the smaller definiton updates, if they will start writing malware based on the older ones which aren't included in the smaller updates....Will this bring back a resurgence of older types of malware?

Hi Floplot,

Ultimately only time will tell for sure. This thought crossed my mind as well. I think malware writers will move on to newer things and if they did mess with old malware, they would likely change it enough so that it would in reality be a new infection. I think it is doubtful that they would re-release old malware without modifications.

Allen

Kudos0

is the new package rtm?

Kudos0

zhoum wrote:

is the new package rtm?

Hi zhoum

The new NIS/NAV 2011 is released to manufacturing and is currently available for download via the Norton Update Center www.norton.com/nuc .

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Allen,

I tend to work with defaults unless I've  a real reason to change, or want to live dangerously .....

What I'm thinking is that changing the setting could be a feature to remember when we get a dial up user complaining about automatic updating.

Hugh

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.