• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton 360 blocking installation of IE9

I tried to intall IE9 on my Windows 7 64bit system and the installation failed.  I checked Norton 360 and found the following in the security history (see attached pdf).  Questions.... Why is Norton blocking it?  Is 360 trying to protect itself?  Why does IE9 need to get into this 360 folder?  Also, reading this forum it looks like 360 and IE9 don't get along very well.  Am I better off stay on IE8?

Thanks,

David

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 blocking installation of IE9

Hi Hothand,

Have you by chance gotten ahold of  64 bit IE 9 instead of the 32 bit IE 9 that is the default for Windows 7 and also the only IE9 version that Norton products are compatable with?

Kudos0

Yank,

Yep, I had the 64bit version of IE9.  I'll try to install the 32bit version and see what happens.

Thanks,

David 

Kudos0

Hothand wrote:

Yank,

Yep, I had the 64bit version of IE9.  I'll try to install the 32bit version and see what happens.

Thanks,

David 

Hothand wrote:

Yank,

Thanks,

David 

You are welcome!

So far so good, please let us know if the 32 bit version clears your situation.

Kudos0

Yank,

I tried installing the 32bit version of IE9 and it wouldn't install.  I received an error message saying I was trying to install the wrong version for my system.  It appears that since I'm running Windows 7 64bit I need to install the 64bit version of IE9.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

I wonder if I should turn off 360, install the 64bit version of IE9, and then turn 360 back on.  I'll actually be using the 32bit version of IE9 (you get both versions when you install IE9 64bit) anyways. Or do you think 360 won't like the fact the 64bit IE9 is installed even if I don't use it? 360 is fickle enough as it is.  i don't want to give it any excuses to flake out.

David

Kudos0

IE 9 both 32 bit and 64 bit come installed on Win 7.  IE9 32 bit is set as the default.  Having 64 bit IE9 on yourt system wil not hurt anything.  I have both installed on my system - bt use the 32 bit version with NIS 20.1.1.2 with no problems.  Yo should not have to turn N 360 off in order to install IE9.

BTW - just curious, why are you installing IE as it is part of the normal OS install?

Kudos0

I was installing IE9 because my Windows 7 (OEM version) came with IE8.  The reason I have to turn off N360 is because it's blocking the IE9 64bit install (see the pdf attachment in my original post).

Replies are locked for this thread.