• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 icon has a red X

Norton 360 icon has red cross in it.  I presume it has disabled somehow.  What does this mean?

<<Edit: Subject edited for clarity>>

Message Edited by JerryM on 10-22-2009 05:42 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 icon has a red X

Norton 360 icon has red cross in it.  I presume it has disabled somehow.  What does this mean?

<<Edit: Subject edited for clarity>>

Message Edited by JerryM on 10-22-2009 05:42 PM
Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22, welcome to the Norton Community :-)

Can you please indicate which version of Norton 360 you are running, and what kind of Operating System you have. Thanks :-)

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-22-2009 12:39 PM
Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22,

Are you able to open the Norton 360 program?

If you can, click on View Details where it shows red status and you will be able to find which component has problem/disabled. Let us know the details.

Yogesh

Kudos0

Can't open icon.

Kudos0

Using Version 3.  Sorry what do you mean by operating system?
Kudos0

Version 3.0 or 3.5?

Operating system: are you using XP or Vista etc.? Also, please indicate your Service Pack.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 11:13 AM
Kudos0

Using Windows XP.  Think its Windows 98 but not sure.  Does that help
Kudos0

On your computer, please go to Start, then Control Panel, then System.

You will find precise information on your operating system and service pack over there.

Kudos0

Thanks.  Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Kudos0

Thank you for the information. Please do the following:

Go to www.malwarebytes.org

1. Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) free version and save it to your desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as “default” only
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
5.Click “Finish.”  The programme will run automatically and you will be prompted to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly choosing a "full scan".
7. When scanning is finished click on “Show Results”
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked with a check mark, click on "Remove Selected".
9. Restart your computer.

Please post the logs back to this thread using "add attachments" below the orange "post" button.

Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and/or running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on an infected system.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 11:42 AM
Kudos0

Results were

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I have to say I did unstall Norton before doing this and I presume now I cannot install it again and if I do will have to pay for it again

Thanks

Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please post the full log file. Just use the add attachments under the orange post button and attach the .txt file.

You can install Norton gain and you will not have to pay for your software again if you have a current valid subscription.

Message Edited by mdturner on 23-10-2009 01:32 PM
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22,

No, you do not have pay for Norton 360/buy it again in order to reinstall it. 

However, since you found infections on your computer, I would like you to run a SysProt scan to make sure there is no further malware on your machine. Instructions coming.

EDIT: As mdurner has said above (sorry, mdturner, only saw your post now, lol ;-))  ), please attach the MBAM log to your post. Thank you.

Afterwards, please run a SysProt log for us, from the link below, so that we can check your system for rootkit activity. You will need to disable Norton auto-protect while you run the scan.

http://sites.google.com/site/sysprotantirootkit/

Once it is downloaded to your desktop, right click on the SysProt icon, go to properties, and click unblock and apply.

Choose log, check all the boxes except show hidden objects only and scan.

You will be able to post the log here using the "add attachments" link just below the orange post button.

Do nothing to try to clean this until you have sent back the log and we respond to you on what to do next.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 02:43 PM
Kudos0

Sorry bit confused at what I am choosing from that page to download as it is giving me choices for different websites or it says download from link below which attachment
Kudos0

Previous log results 

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3016
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

23/10/2009 12:21:16
mbam-log-2009-10-23 (12-21-16).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 233040
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 13 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Kudos0

Bethhill22 wrote:
Sorry bit confused at what I am choosing from that page to download as it is giving me choices for different websites or it says download from link below which attachment

The different mirror websites listed are the websites which host SysProt. You can download SysProt from any of these websites, e.g. from Softpedia, or you can download it from underneath the "Attachments" section by clicking on "Download". 

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 03:17 PM
Kudos0

Am I extracting all files
Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22

Bethhill22 wrote:
Am I extracting all files
Yes.
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

When I right click on mouse and choose properties I don't get anything saying unblock
Kudos0

Sorry, Bethhill, that only applies to Vista users. Since you're an XP user, you can open the file normally ( double-click).Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 03:42 PM
Kudos0

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hi Bethhill22,

mdturner has looked at your SysProt log and has pronounced it clean. However, you are running AVG, and before you can reinstall Norton 360, you will have to remove AVG.

Please uninstall AVG and use the AVG removal tool to get rid of AVG leftovers, otherwise they might interfere with the reinstallation of Norton 360. 

Download and save the AVG removal tool to your computer from over here:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Download and save the Norton Removal Tool to your computer from this link:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN

Download and save the appropriate version (either Standard or Premier, depending on your version of Norton 360) of Norton 360 to your computer:

Norton 360 Standard Edition 

http://www.norton.com/n360s_3

Norton 360 Premier Edition

http://www.norton.com/n360p_3

1) First, remove AVG.

2) Remove Norton 360; please run the Norton Removal Tool in Safe Mode for this. When booting your computer, tap the F8 key repeatedly, then, once Windows has loaded, run the Norton Removal Tool. Please run the tool twice, rebooting after each run.

3) After rebooting, double-click on the icon of the Norton 360 installation package and install it. Run LiveUpdate until there are no more updates remaining to be downloaded.

Please tell us how this goes. Thanks :-)

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 04:29 PM
Kudos0

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say many thanks for your help.  Really don't know why it did that.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Kudos0

Glad we were able to help you :-)

It did that because you were infected.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-23-2009 05:36 PM

Replies are locked for this thread.