• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Norton 360 Status Icon gone missing from tray in toolbar.....

Everything has been great with my N360 since I installed in two months ago, however this week the status icon in the tray on the bottom right of the screen has gone missing. How can I get it back please?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Barry

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Status Icon gone missing from tray in toolbar.....

Everything has been great with my N360 since I installed in two months ago, however this week the status icon in the tray on the bottom right of the screen has gone missing. How can I get it back please?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Barry

Kudos0

Hi Barry,

Do you see the tray icon appear after a reboot? Also, when you double click the "Norton 360" icon on the desktop, does the UI launch? Do you recall the last thing that happened on your computer before you noticed the tray icon disappear?

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Sorry not sure if i can post here, but i have the same problem. I noticed it when i clicked on new internet tab and i took like 5 mins to load. I've unistalled and reinstalled twice now, and it temporarily sorts the problem out but i keeps disapearing and slowing my pc down.

Kudos0

Hi Jagatwal,

Could you please provide some more detail on exactly what is happening? Are you referring to the tray icon not appearing? If so can you also answer the questions I asked earlier in this thread? Also, please provide a step by step account for what you noticed and at what point you started seeing the issue.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

If you are using Windows Vista, please check the Taskbar Properties and make sure that Hide inactive icons is unchecked under the Notification Area tab. Also, check the information provided in this THREAD.Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 12-18-2008 12:44 AM
Kudos0

Hi

I had to unistall and reinstall again today. Im using windows xp.

What normally happens is when i browse internet for a while, it'll go slow and when i check look at the tray the icon is no longer there. I first noticed this when i was on net, clicked a new tab and the tab itself to 5 mins to load, and at that point i noticed that the icon was missing.

Come to think of it, i think it has something to do with a trojan (vundo). Norton detected it and removed it, and then restarted the pc. I didnt notice the icon missing the first time as i wasnt looking out for it. Only noticed it when my net was really slow. Twoof the times ive uninstalled - reinstalled norton detects the trojan after a while (not after the initial scan, a long time after it actually, my pc is normally fine for about 12 hours), removes it and then restarts the pc, and when i log back on the icon doesnt appear.

Ive checked the thread yogesh_mohan linked, but cant really try that until the thing happens again. I am the admin on my pc (and have a password), along with my dad, my younger bros (two) have limited accounts. Not sure if thats relevant but thought i'ld say after reading the other thread.

Thanks for your help

Kudos0

It sounds like you use about four accounts on your system. Is there more than one running at a time? Is your pc ever low on virtual memory?          In the past with 360 v1 when I ran multiple accounts or played pinball for some reason, my 360 ico would become distorted.     You could try turning off system restore and run a full scan.  Also downloading a trial version of Tune Up Utilities 2009 and using it to correct any problems in your system could help.

These are just suggestions.

Kudos0

Hi Jagatwal,

What's the exact version of N360v2 you are using? To find this, double click the "Norton 360" icon on the desktop and then click "Help & Support"-->"About Norton 360"

Can you easily reproduce this if you fast user switch and login under multiple accounts at the same time? Also, when you notice the tray icon is not present what happens if you double click the "Norton 360" icon on the desktop? Does the UI load?

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Hi Mattp,

Im using version 2.4.0.4.

When the icon disappears and i click on the 'Norton 360' icon, it doesnt load. When i right click and try to scan a file, it takes 10 mins for the scan process to load.

I think i have plenty of space on my pc, theres over 100gb free space, so dont think im running out on virtual memory.

Ive to uninstall-reinstall again today. There was no mention of the trojan (vundo) today. I cant really pinpoint when it happens, and ive to tried to make the process happen again but i cant.

Thanks

Jag

Kudos0

Apologies for the delay in responding. After 3 or 4 reboots, the icon has miraculously reappeared.

Thanks for the responses

Kudos0

try to check R click toolbar>properties>customize...check if N360 is there, on behaviour use "always show" 

if not fixed: call tech support, they will just run a tool to fix issue 

Replies are locked for this thread.