• Blogs
Kudos0

Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition

Kudos0

How will it differ since the 2009 products sort of are totally automatic... already and won't you release such an edition of NIS as well? If no - why?
Kudos1

RavenMacDaddy wrote:
How will it differ since the 2009 products sort of are totally automatic... already and won't you release such an edition of NIS as well? If no - why?

I don't have all of the details but Gaming mode works similarly to full screen application / silent mode with the addition of automatically reducing some network traffic settings to allow for greater throughput.

No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though.

Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

<< No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though. >>

Oh please do! <g>

Odd that gamers should be considered less in need of security ..... Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV (I only beta'd NIS2009) and that is being added?

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

<< No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though. >>

Oh please do! <g>

Odd that gamers should be considered less in need of security ..... Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV (I only beta'd NIS2009) and that is being added?

Isn't that Feature already in N.I.S. 2009?

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Making the switch from NIS09 to NAV09, I could defininity feel a difference in terms of performance on my computer. NAV was defininity lighter, by a noticible margin.
=\
Kudos0

<< Isn't that Feature already in N.I.S. 2009? >>

Yes -- that's why I asked

<< Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV...... and that is being added? >>

And then Reese says Silent Mode and more ....

Hugh
Kudos1

NAV and NIS 2009 both have the Silent Mode feature (one of my favorite new features). NAV 2009 Gamer Edition adds the Gamer Mode feature which extends the Silent Mode feature with some added extras. Gamer Mode will optionally turn off some features when Silent Mode engages. This is intended to help gamers get that extra little bit of performance boost when they are gaming. Gamer Edition also has a new UI theme that is EXTREME TO THE MAX.

There is no NIS Gamer Edition version.

Principal Software EngineerNorton Research Labs
Kudos0

Garret_Polk wrote:

NAV and NIS 2009 both have the Silent Mode feature (one of my favorite new features). NAV 2009 Gamer Edition adds the Gamer Mode feature which extends the Silent Mode feature with some added extras. Gamer Mode will optionally turn off some features when Silent Mode engages. This is intended to help gamers get that extra little bit of performance boost when they are gaming. Gamer Edition also has a new UI theme that is EXTREME TO THE MAX.

There is no NIS Gamer Edition version.

Hmmm... Just wondering why there is no N.I.S. Gamer Edition?  Is symantec trying to make people get Infected?  The reason why I ask is because Norton AntiVirus 2009 has no Firewall and other less Features which N.I.S. 2009 has which equals less Protection.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

We all appreciate this kind of background very much -- thanks Reese and Garret. And thinks for filling in on my lack of knowledge on NAV2009.

But I echo the question: Why encourage gamers to use less protection -- when surely they are more exposed with the kind of company they keep? <gdrvvf> It seems to lessen Norton's competitive advantage against other "security" applications?

I'd also add the question -- what about other "power users" like the image manipulators -- Photoshoppers -- who I know from my presence elsewhere are concerned at anything that loads their system.

Hugh
Kudos0

All the Gaming Ed. does is stop all background activities, such as LiveUpdate, when you are playing a game.

However, Auto-Protect is still enabled, which is sufficent.

I ran NAV for over a month w/o any sort of firewall, and I have not been infected. I ran basically all the online scanners and none were able to find anything more than cookies. 

Even if someone manages to breach NAV's Intrusion Prevention feature, which acts as a firewall by blocking specfic attacks, they will have to be able to bypass Auto-Protect to drop malicious files on your system. 

And I already think that using the "black" UI color is already cool enough :). Really like the contrasting yellow and black. Especially around the CPU meter :D

And all an fancy UI does is spike CPU and memory usage...kind of contradicting...

Ironic. 

Message Edited by Tech0utsider on 11-15-2008 01:09 PM
=\
Kudos0

I never use firewall and haven't got infection for many years. So I am using NAV now.
Kudos0

lancehua wrote:
I never use firewall and haven't got infection for many years. So I am using NAV now.

I find this very hard to believe.  You probably are infected, but the Anti-Virus Companies have not get Signatures to the Threats that are probably on your computer.  You have got to remember that A.-V. Companies are behind when they catch Threats as they are already "out there".

Norton AntiVirus 2009 does not have a Firewall; Norton 2008 and Earlier do have a Firewall.

Kudos0

Do you have a link for a beta?
Kudos0

Hello voyagersm,

We do not plan on having a public beta for Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gamer Edition.  Thanks for your interest!

Kudos0

Wouldn't it be just as easy to add the Gamer Edition to NIS, too, for those that want to use a firewall, too?
~ How do I un-overwrite all my data? ~
Kudos0

Thanks Tim, I will wait the final release.
Kudos0

There should be a trial version available on our web site in a few weeks.
Principal Software EngineerNorton Research Labs
Kudos0

I see that it appear on the site but no trial. Where can I get a trial? Thanks.

Kudos0

If you can reach the Trialware section on the Norton Shop you can find it accidentally <g>

If you are in the USA, go to:

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/ContentTheme/ThemeID.106300/pbPage.Trialware_en_US 

and you will see two links to Norton AntiVirus 2009 and the second apparent duplication, if you click on More Info  shows that it is the Gaming Edition. I expect they will correct this omission. Click on Try it and see what you get .... and let us know!

If you are in the UK there is a direct link identified as Gaming Edition in their Trialware section and I imagine this will be true in time for other regions.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks, I will try it right now.
Kudos0

Someone must read messages here <g>

Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition - 15 Day Trialware 

I wonder why More Info says it is an Upgrade .....

Hugh
Kudos1

Official announcement about this version is now available.
Kudos0

I jumped on the Symantec sight tonight because I am slowly upgrading my pc (all new, just keeping the same case, dvd drives, ect.) and my Norton account is almost up. I've come to trust Norton, and will still renew my subscription to NIS 2009 either way. Though, when I saw the "special offers" section, the gaming edition caught my eye. I use my home pc for work sometimes (acad), as well as paying bills and so on, but 50% of my home pc usage is for gaming. Why wouldn't they offer the gaming edition with NIS as a package? Will they ever, or as an addon? Or is there a equall substitution/selection available within NIS 2009? Just curious as a Norton subscriber for several years.

I had to ask, as I decided to hold off on my renewal (like I said, I'll still stick with Norton either way), till I find out. I'd hate to pay now, just to find out I could wait a bit and it's (gamers edition) included in a different deal with NIS later on.

Kudos0

Absntmind, currently there are no plans to release a NIS version.
Kudos0

Thanks for the response.
Kudos0

Yes, it's true. It should be available through the Symantec storefront and other means within the next few weeks.

Replies are locked for this thread.