• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Ghost 2003 with Vista and Windows 7

Hi everyone

I am still a big fan of Norton Ghost 2003 and have been using it for my Win XP machines for years.

Alas, we are finally moving up to Vista and Windows 7 OS systems.

There are a lot of posts regarding compatability with 2003 but they seem to deal with hardware issues and mainly directed at running Ghost 2003 from a Windows environment.

My question regards running Ghost 2003 from DOS only. Will I be able to backup and restore Vista and Windows 7 systems?

I am guessing I can because they are both NTFS systems. Am I correct?

I have already done a successful backup of a Vista machine but because it is a working system I don't want to perform a restore just for the sake of it. Even though it is an important test. I am hoping somebody else might have done these types of tests and can put me in the know.

Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 with Vista and Windows 7

Hi everyone

I am still a big fan of Norton Ghost 2003 and have been using it for my Win XP machines for years.

Alas, we are finally moving up to Vista and Windows 7 OS systems.

There are a lot of posts regarding compatability with 2003 but they seem to deal with hardware issues and mainly directed at running Ghost 2003 from a Windows environment.

My question regards running Ghost 2003 from DOS only. Will I be able to backup and restore Vista and Windows 7 systems?

I am guessing I can because they are both NTFS systems. Am I correct?

I have already done a successful backup of a Vista machine but because it is a working system I don't want to perform a restore just for the sake of it. Even though it is an important test. I am hoping somebody else might have done these types of tests and can put me in the know.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Welcome to the Norton Community

Lots of people I know have used Ghost 2003 to back up and restore Win 7 and Vista partitions and do not seem to have any issues with it. Your logic is correct in that it is running DOS and will back up your drives.

There is a new Ghost on the way that is fully Win 7 compatible that you may be interested in so watch the forums for any announcements.

Message Edited by mdturner on 18-10-2009 04:05 AM
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos1

Milster,

I've backed up and restored Vista and Win7 partitions successfully with Ghost 2003. As tests only. No issues at all. But I'm not a Ghost 2003 enthusiast as there are much better apps available that are compatible with modern hardware.

I've heard some people need to do startup repairs from the boot disk if the OS doesn't boot. Others do a BCD Edit from a BootIt NG disk.

Kudos0

Thanks!

Kudos0

Thanks Brian!

Brian_K wrote:

I've heard some people need to do startup repairs from the boot disk if the OS doesn't boot. Others do a BCD Edit from a BootIt NG disk.

Can you expand on what BCD Edit is? And what a BootIt NG disk is please. Even if it is just expanding the abbreviations. Cheers

Kudos1

Hi Milster,

BCD stands for Boot Configuration Data. Windows Vista and Windows 7 uses the boot time configuration data (BCD) similar to boot.ini used by NTLDR in Win XP and the earlier NT based Windows OS. BCD Edit is the command line tool to edit the Boot Time Configuration data. For more info on BCD Edit, read the following Microsoft Technet FAQ:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx

BootIt Next Generation is a partition and multi-boot manager by Terabyte. You can find more information on their Website.

--Vinod

Message Edited by pore_vinod on 10-18-2009 09:01 AM
Kudos1

Milster wrote:

Can you expand on what BCD Edit is? And what a BootIt NG disk is please.

Milster,

See Message  #12 on how to make a BootIt NG CD...

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=other&thread.id=10364&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

How to do a BCD Edit using BootIt NG is here...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=318
Kudos0

Hi all

I got around to testing my Ghost v8 backup of a Windows 7 system. I was able to restore everything but I was unable to boot into the OS.

You can insert the original Windows 7 disc to do the repair or do a manual BCD edit with BootIt NG.

I think this would be the same for Vista.

Cheers

Replies are locked for this thread.