• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Toolbar disappears after applying 17.1.0.14 patch

I just updated to the NIS 2010 17.1.0.14 patch and now the Norton Toolbar and my FF addons seemed to have gone missing.

I tried IE 8, the Norton toolbar did show up there. Just wondering what might have caused this and how would I go about fixing it.

I have NIS 2010, FF 3.5.3, IE 8 and I'm running Windows XP SP3.

Message Edited by DBJr on 10-27-2009 05:14 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar disappears after applying 17.1.0.14 patch

same for me! firefox toolbar isn't working AND ALL other addons are NOT WORKING either!

internet explorer shows no problems with the update.

but please fix the issues with firefox!

Kudos0

All add-ons in my FireFox does not work after this patch!
Kudos0

I just updated to the NIS 2010 17.1.0.14 patch and now the Norton Toolbar and my FF addons seemed to have gone missing.

I tried IE 8, the Norton toolbar did show up there. Just wondering what might have caused this and how would I go about fixing it.

I have NIS 2010, FF 3.5.3, IE 8 and I'm running Windows XP SP3.

Message Edited by DBJr on 10-27-2009 05:14 PM
Kudos0

The Norton Toolbar has disappeared and most of the add-ons don't work...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"Philip K. Dick
Kudos0

Same here. My add-ons and Norton toolbar does not work in Firefox after appling the new patch. Does that mean we are not protected when using Firefox?
Kudos0

Interesting to find out that one of the fixes in the 17.0.1.14 patch was 'Corrected an issue with Firefox 3.5.3 to make sure toolbar is shown'. I didn't think it was a problem as my toolbar was working perfectly in Firefox!
     Message Edited by Newfan on 10-27-2009 02:48 PM
Kudos0

Looks like this one slipped through the cracks. I've never had an issue with a Norton update until now. Hopefully a suitable hotfix will be available soon.

As for as I can tell, Intrusion Protection is still enabled as I checked in the history.

Kudos0

@newfan: I've also read that a few minutes ago. My Firefox worked pefectly before including the NIS 2010 addons. But after that patch... well, you know the answer. It's too bad that this patch has been released without testing it before. As I also read that this patch is only available to some randomly selected customers and Symantec will then see if there'll be any problems before they release this patch to all customers. For me it seems that we're one of those crash test dummies which were randomly selected.

Kudos0

All,

Thanks for letting us know about this. We'll look in to it and provide you with information when it becomes available. 

Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Kudos0

You can ad me to this mess, my Firefox3.5.3 is also totally borked after this update.

Would uninstalling and a re-install solve the problem?

Kudos1

Hi,
i just disabled Norton IPS and the toolbar, then restarted Firefox 3.5.3 and my FF-Addons are working again.
But to enable the Norton Addons tooks serveral restarts of FF.
The Toolbar is still missing and i don't know if Norton IPS is working again (the symbol from IPS is there).

Kudos0

Rain457Gd wrote:
Hi,
i just disabled Norton IPS and the toolbar, then restarted Firefox 3.5.3 and my FF-Addons are working again.
But to enable the Norton Addons tooks serveral restarts of FF.
The Toolbar is still missing and i don't know if Norton IPS is working again (the symbol from IPS is there).

Yes, good catch this works for me also. After disabling them everything is fine.

Will wait for a fix to this update gone wrong.

Kudos0

Same here Firefox 3.5.4 , after deactivate Norton Firefox Plugins the other extensions works. Then active Norton IPS after several Firefox restarts . Norton AddOns with Toolbar don´t work to activate.
Kudos0

And to make things even more interesting ... THIS SITE reports that Firefox version 3.5.4 went final today, although its not available on the main download page yet.

Oops - Voyager10 was posting whilst I was typingMessage Edited by SHO_GuN on 10-27-2009 06:21 PM
Kudos0

Good call.

This got my add-ons back again. Didn't really feel too comfortable without my NoScript add-on present.

The Norton toolbar is still MIA though.

Kudos0

Pathetic... How can SYMANTEC have trouble getting their addons to work with FIREFOX? We are talking about two huge organizations. Seriously, it happened when FF 3.5 was released and now another new problem. PATHETIC!

Kudos0

Same thing happened to me - got my Firefox extensions back via deactivating and reactivating them, but the Norton add-ons are not working.
Kudos0

I, and many like me, have been a little lazy in not describing the system which we are using, when posting to the Board.  Many times it is probably not very important, but when addressing problems with the latest patch, I would think that it will help Norton to correct the issues more promptly, if we do.

I am using Windows 7 version 7100, NIS 2010 and I have just received the patch 17.1.14 and I have not seen any problems, so far.  Everything appears to be working as expected.

drshlomo. 

Kudos0

@drshlomo: Do you use Firefox or the Internet Explorer?

I'm working with Win XP SP3 (up to date), NIS 2010 (17.1.0.14), Firefox (3.5.3), IE 8 (I do not work with it often I prefer Firefox).

Kudos0

Hi all, my firefox don´t works with norton bar... and my ad-block plus has distroyed when I updated to new version of NIS10. I using Vista Premium SP2

Regards.

Message Edited by Xendyclever on 10-27-2009 06:55 PM
Kudos0

I had the same thing happen to me. Toolbar - GONE. Identity Safe - GONE. Phishing Protection - GONE. 

Question: Do you guys test this software outside before you release it? Now I don't want to sound like a jerk at all. I just would like to help test it if you guys do test it so that we can make sure this stuff doesn't happen. I know you guys had issues with the 16.7 patch a few months ago and now you're having issues where pretty much all of the Browser Protection is gone. 

Can you sign me up to test your patches before you release them? I think this would save you the headache, and give me a chance to help you guys see how the software reacts to your customers computers.  This way you also dont have issues with people who don't have the patience to work through these issue.

just a thought.

I love Norton! 

-Dick 

Kudos0

I just updated to FF 3.5.4

No change!!!

Kudos0

Same for me nothing works with NIS2010 (17.1.0.14) e Firefox 3.5.4. The toolbar has gone
Kudos7

All,

The team has informed me that they have identified the root cause of the issue. Our Development Team is currently working on a fix that will correct this issue for users who are currently running 17.1, as well as ensuring this doesn't impact the remaining users who are still running 17.0 when they update to 17.1. 

We don't have a firm ETA on the fix right now. However, this is a very high priority item and you can be sure we're going to be working quickly to ensure we correct this issue in a timely manner. We'll update this thread when we have more information, as well as information on when we plan to release the fix. 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience!

Kudos0

@Tim: Sounds good that you're working at high priority to fix this bug

Well, you said that you don't have an ETA but what would you guess about how long we might have to wait for a bugfix?

I hope it's just a small programming issue and nothing big so we all could exspect a fast bugfix.

Thank you (and sorry for maybe getting on you nerves because of my question)!

Message Edited by KeitaroUrashima on 10-27-2009 08:21 PM
Kudos2

KeitaroUrashima wrote:
 ...Well, you said that you don't have an ETA but what would you guess about how long we might have to wait for a bugfix?

I'm sorry I don't have more information to share about when a fix should be coming. Any guess at this point would be just that - a pure guess. It would only serve to placate customers, but eventually would confuse and upset them. I know that our Developers are working very hard to get this issue resolves as quickly as possible. When we have some solid information to share, we'll let you know. Thanks for your patience.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Same thing happened to me running Vista 64bit.  I assume this update came out today some time.  I just restarted my system since about 5:00CST and lost all toolbars.  I did get them back by deleting my extensions.* files in my Mozilla profile.  This really bites.  Alas, I will have to use IE, I still have all my toolbars there including Norton Identity Safe..thank goodness.
Kudos0

KeitaroUrashima wrote:

Well, you said that you don't have an ETA but what would you guess about how long we might have to wait for a bugfix?

I hope it's just a small programming issue and nothing big so we all could exspect a fast bugfix.

ETA stands for ESTIMATED time of arrival (this has since been coopted to mean an estimated time of completion).  Therefor if you have no estimate, you have no guess (as a estimate is no more then an educated guess, sometimes not even that much).  My little grammer nerd insisted that i make that point clear.

Thanks Team for the quick response.

Message Edited by burkoJames on 10-27-2009 09:48 PM
Kudos0

I also found that with this bug present, you will not be able to download or update any add-ons without disabling the Norton toolbar first.

Once I disabled it, I was able to update NoScript with no problems as it had an update available. Hopefully the fix will take care of this as well.

Just a heads up to those who might have experienced this too.

Kudos0

Same here....FF addons gone, Norton toolbar in FF gone. Windows 7 64b
Kudos0

Please see my thread Two Firefox Bugs with an additional bug.  I'd like to know if others experience that, too, or if it is perculiar to my machine.
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

This keeps happening with NIS! It seems nothing is tested even moderately before release.

I am XP SP3, FF (now 5.4), 

norton toolbar gone in Firefox.

Firefox addons not working.

All Excel macros disabled!

Keyboard shortcut utility disabled!

Unbelivable!!

Can you AT THE VERY LEAST put up a link to a 2010 NOS version that WORKS and tell us how to DISABLE the update until you have resolved the problem.

You just fail to realize that everytime Symantec release a half-baked update the world stops turning for most of us!!

Kudos0

unbelivable wrote:

This keeps happening with NIS! It seems nothing is tested even moderately before release.

I am XP SP3, FF (now 5.4), 

norton toolbar gone in Firefox.

Firefox addons not working.

All Excel macros disabled!

Keyboard shortcut utility disabled!

Unbelivable!!

Can you AT THE VERY LEAST put up a link to a 2010 NOS version that WORKS and tell us how to DISABLE the update until you have resolved the problem.

You just fail to realize that everytime Symantec release a half-baked update the world stops turning for most of us!!

My Excel macros still function, but I don't have any that launch when the file is openned.  Is that what you mean?

Give me an example of a keyboard shortcut that is disabled.  Basic ones like ctrl-x, ctrl-v, etc work; so I know you must be referring to something else.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

I have VB macros that I execute by calling the procudure at various times as I work after excel is open.

Normally you have to have them trusted/trusted location etc and set  NIS "Microsoft office automatic scan' to on.

These have all been working for years, but invariably the stop working at major NIS releases and I have to muck around with reinstalls and NIS product rollback to get them working again.  I am contemplating what I can do to get up and running again. I see no reply from Norton staff on a prior version link.

The keyboard shortcut utility is 3rd party that merely submits a string of characters and can be assigned to another key eg F6 or whatever.Pretty basic utility and NIS has blocked it!

I might have to go back to firefox 2 and NIS 2009.  I cannot tell you, after years of using norton and these continual problems; what a low opinion I have of the testing team.

Kudos0

Can a norton representative PLEASE provide a link to the prior NIS 2010 version and explain a method to temporarily DISABLE symantec liveupdate?
Kudos0

It is surprising that this update has been released to a set group of random customers and the results are disastrous as usual. Why they do not fix all the bugs before formally releasing it to the public. It is a pathetic state of affairs to say the least on part of Symantec. Absolutely appalling.
Kudos0

drshlomo wrote:

I, and many like me, have been a little lazy in not describing the system which we are using, when posting to the Board.  Many times it is probably not very important, but when addressing problems with the latest patch, I would think that it will help Norton to correct the issues more promptly, if we do.

I am using Windows 7 version 7100, NIS 2010 and I have just received the patch 17.1.14 and I have not seen any problems, so far.  Everything appears to be working as expected.

drshlomo. 

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, Firefox 3.5.3, NIS 2010 17.1.0.14.

Kudos0

Siro,

It is impossible to fix all bugs but I have a feeling about very bad internal testing: I do not understand how "firefox fix" could break FireFox? :)

Did they made internal test before published it ?..

Message Edited by Bulbulator on 10-28-2009 03:18 AM
Kudos1

Tim wrote:

All,

We don't have a firm ETA on the fix right now. However, this is a very high priority item and you can be sure we're going to be working quickly to ensure we correct this issue in a timely manner. We'll update this thread when we have more information, as well as information on when we plan to release the fix. 

Thanks, Tim & team ;-)))

Kudos0

Yet ANOTHER frustrated NIS user.

Like the rest of you, my Firefox add-ons went away after the 17.1.0.14 update.

I run Win XP SP3, and Firefox 3.5.4.

Message Edited by timeless314 on 10-28-2009 03:44 AM
Kudos5

timeless314,

You have a reason to be frustrated. But atleast I'm happy that we community members could report this to Norton and earn a fix. Anyways, let us patiently await further confirmation from Tim.

-MbR

"Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher" - MbR
Kudos0

KeitaroUrashima Hi,

Sorry, my mistake, I'm using IE version 8, which probably explains why everything is working as it should.

drshlomo.

Kudos0

Unfortunately this patch was automatically downloaded when I booted up today.  Like everyone else, I lost the Norton Toolbar in Firefox.  These problems with NIS and Firefox are getting really tiresome.
NS 22.x, Win8.1 (x64), Firefox, Chrome, Malwarebytes (FREE)
Kudos0

I had the same problem but first didn't find the reason why all my addons where gone after restarting my firefox. I installed my new Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit yesterday and many programs. I didn't know what caused the problem because i also experienced a startup problem with PowerDVD. After installation it didn't want to start and hanged so i had to shut it down through Taskmanager. An hour ago i decided to reinstall my whole system due to many different problems when i stumbled over a solution. I deleted all extensions.* files in the profiles directory of my FF and all addons worked. 

After some restarts also PowerDVD works now. I have no explanation. 

Is the update already taken from the servers or is there still the "danger" that liveupdate will download it? I have other computers and Notebooks in my household, all equipped with Norton 2010 and Firefox. 

I hope there will soon be an update without these problems. 

So long, Ayiana

Kudos0

Let's hope that the fix as Tim and his team have said is on a high priority basis is released in the coming few days with proper testing before unleashing it to the masses.It has happened to me before while using NIS 2009 on Windows XP a few months ago when the famous 16.7 update or whatever the version was released and it had caused numerous issues with Firefox 3.5. My primary browser is always FF so I am rendered useless and have to rely on IE 8 for which I have no long lost love personally. Anyway, as mentioned by a few here its better to have this community where we can report our issues and then the problem can be resolved as soon as possible.
Kudos0

Having to use IE to post this because I have lost all add-ons in Firefox after the update. Running Firefox 3.0.14, (so problem is not limited to 3.5 only) Vista 32 bit Home Premium  on a Compaq Presario SR5310F. The only way I could logon was to use IE to get at my logon password! Sure hope this bug gets fixed real soon!

Mike

Message Edited by mikosh on 10-28-2009 06:07 AM
Kudos1

Forgive me for being so negative here, but don't you guys test this stuff?  I would guess a significant portion of your security conscious customers use Firefox.  Yet it seems like on a regular basis your updates either break functionality, or more often the case, are not kept up to date with the public release schedule for new Firefox versions.  I really think you guys should consider the impact this causes to your customer.

-Andy
Kudos0

Moved to existing thread for better exposure.
Kudos1

@aboehlen: Here is an excerpt about patches are released:

--------------------

2. When will I receive the patch? (http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=83394)

As a standard practice, we will be deploying the patch in a phased manner. On Tuesday, 27th of October, we will be releasing the patch to some randomly selected customers. We will then monitor our telemetry, as well as this forum, for any problem reports or issues.

Once we have confirmed the effectiveness of the patch we will make it available to all customers. We will post an update on the Norton Community Forums when we make the patch available to all customers.

--------------------

That means that we, the users, seem to test the patches.

But before anyone gets mad at me, I've always been very happy with NIS, I use it since 1998 and I've never had any other Security Suite besides NIS, I also made it through the bad times of NIS in which it was quite a heavy load on my system but since version 2009 I forgot those bad times since my system was running faster than ever before and everything was perfect for me.

I would just be happy if these practices as mentioned above would be changed so that we do not have to experience problems like this again. I think it shouldn't be so time consuming to test bigger patches before a release to the customers on let's say a virtual machine with the by NIS supported browsers to see if the patch works as planned or not.

Just to say it again, I've always been very happy with NIS that's just a request for the future and upcoming patches. I know that Symantec works on their products, best example are the newer versions of NIS (since 2009) which are faster than any versions before.

Now I hope no one is picking on me for writing this but I'm just a bit disappointed.

Message Edited by KeitaroUrashima on 10-28-2009 06:57 AMMessage Edited by KeitaroUrashima on 10-28-2009 06:58 AM
Kudos0

@KeitaroUrashima: That's interesting. I thought the Beta-testing would be over. ;)

Nice, yesterday I got my new Windows 7 Home Premium and installed it on a formatted partition. I wanted a clean and "perfect" installation and what I get is the privilege to serve as "beta tester". 

I know that there have to be beta testers but i want to know when I am one. ;)

Replies are locked for this thread.