• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Norton Utilities 14.5.0.116 destroyed my OS (computer)

I have windows 7 64bit home premium, I purchased and installed Norton Utilities.

I run the update feature to the latest version.

I ran the registry defragger and on the reboot the system failed to boot. 
The OS was trashed. I lost the lot.   Gone, not even the Windows 7 disk could repair it.    Grrrr....     :(

I had to spend days reinstalling everything, some photo's I had not been backed up were lost forever.

Why?  ... it was the latest version, I came with no warnings on this issue. It cost me time and money, it was suppose to be SAFE !!

A waste of money, I have now found others here that have had the same disaster with the registry defragger.

One got a refund?

* And the "startup" feature is gone as well?      Im told I can check what programs are running at startup but the feature is NOT there to use on this latest version? 

:Mark    

Message Edited by mfree45 on 01-14-2010 05:01 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Utilities 14.5.0.116 destroyed my OS (computer)

I have windows 7 64bit home premium, I purchased and installed Norton Utilities.

I run the update feature to the latest version.

I ran the registry defragger and on the reboot the system failed to boot. 
The OS was trashed. I lost the lot.   Gone, not even the Windows 7 disk could repair it.    Grrrr....     :(

I had to spend days reinstalling everything, some photo's I had not been backed up were lost forever.

Why?  ... it was the latest version, I came with no warnings on this issue. It cost me time and money, it was suppose to be SAFE !!

A waste of money, I have now found others here that have had the same disaster with the registry defragger.

One got a refund?

* And the "startup" feature is gone as well?      Im told I can check what programs are running at startup but the feature is NOT there to use on this latest version? 

Message Edited by mfree45 on 01-14-2010 05:01 PM
Kudos0

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I am not from Symantec but I am sorry about the trouble you had. I wish we had had a chance to discuss this in the forum before you reinstalled Windows 7. A workaround had been documented in the other thread to recover from this problem.

I believe you are referring to this thread.

Regarding the startup feature, please see this thread. Please understand this feature was only pulled temporarily by Symantec for user's protection until they can ensure that everything is resolved properly and that no further problems will be encountered.

I do know Symantec is working on this problem.

Again I apologize about the problems you have had.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks Allen,

I tried the Windows 7 DVD with the repair install and it failed.  "several times over several hours to honest."

I had no choice but to do a clean complete Win-7 64bit install to get it working again.

I now own a product that makes a clone of the C drive, on a spare hard drive.  (Acronis)

But one should feel safe and confident to use a Norton product and not have it destroy ones system.

It was worse then the worst computer virus..     I'm still angy over it. 

I will never again use the product,  I just do NOT trust it.

So in my case a waste of money, Im on a disabilty pension and cannot afford to lose money on a product that I have lost all faith in.

Message Edited by mfree45 on 01-14-2010 10:57 PM
Kudos0

Hi Mark,

I understand where you are coming from and I sympathize with what you are feeling. Unfortunately, bugs do sometimes happen but I understand that does not make you feel better about this.

If you feel you do not want Norton Utilities any more, you should be able to get a refund if it has been less than 60 days. Please contact Customer Service and explain the circumstances and request a refund. You can also process a refund online from here.

Edit: If you purchased somewhere besides through the online Symantec store please see this link.

Allen

Message Edited by AllenM on 01-14-2010 11:10 PMMessage Edited by AllenM on 01-14-2010 11:11 PM
Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Does anyone from Symantec read these forums and post replies?

I thought I would have a Symantec reply by now?

or as I was told by another member, "they don't really care"..

Hope this is not true ?

Kudos0

Hi Mark,

This is to a large degree a user to user forum, but yes Symantec does monitor these forums and know what is going on here. And they do respond to many of the threads on the forums but due to the sheer volume of threads, you won't see a Symantec employee respond to every thread on the forums.

If your question had not been answered or if I gave you incorrect information, rest assured someone would have corrected me and set the record straight.

After your last post, there is a good chance someone from Symantec will respond but I cannot speak for them.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

Mark,

A couple questions.

At this point is your system up and running?

When you installed NU, did you receive a prompt to run Smart Update?  Also, when did you install NU?

I'm expecting a final update to be released this evening that will restore that feature along with the final fix for the system failure problem. 

Kudos0

Hi Erik,

* Yes my System is up and running fine now  from a complete OS  (Win7)  re- install.

* Yes it ran the smart update on install and I always run the smart update each time I open the program.

I installed NU a few months ago but never ran the Reg-defragger to that horrid day.

I ran NU in my vista 32 bit fine for months with no problems.

My new OS is Win 7 64 bit.    

All seem well until I ran the Registry defragger.   It seemed to run fine and prompt me to reboot.  When I did the system failed to boot. I tried the Win 7 disk to "repair" and it failed, I had no choice but to do re-install Win 7.

Im now scared to try the NU again...  

My NU version is14.5.0.116.

Mark

Kudos0

Firstly..

Erik you asked me questions but never came back with a reply ?

Secondly:

I downloaded the latest Smart update..   and I run the Registry -defragger and it asked for the computer to be rebooted.    I did and when it was up and running Windows 7 reported that it needed to be activated???

I activated W7 again.   What was wrong this time??

My Windows 7 had already been activated months ago.  So Nortons Registry defragger did some thing wrong again with my Windows 7 64 bit.      Wow this is a bad product if one owns Windows 7 64 bit.   Proves one thing,  in my case a total waste of time and money.  

Sent emails and no reply...   Nortons why are you going down hill with support??    You have lost me for good.

Not even a "sorry this happen".   Poor, very poor...

Mark

Kudos0

Apologies, but the notification email never came from the last reply. 

Was the defrag the only scan that you ran?  I've never seen a problem with Win7 prompting for activation again after running NU.  Could you confirm the full revision of NU that is installed?  It should be 14.5.0.118. 

Kudos0

Yes my version is the latest 14.5.0.118. 

I always run the registry scanner check and then the registry defragger. With the new version installed  I ran the scanner and then the reg-defragger.  It asked to reboot and when I did the windows need to activate box popped up first.   It re-acitavated and all was fine.  I have not run the NU since.

* NU was the only thing run before this.   And it happened on the reboot that the NU registry requested.

Mark

Kudos0

Would you be willing to double check?  I just want to know if the same thing occurs with 118 as opposed to 116 that you noted before.

Kudos0

I can try as I have the entire drive cloned. ( backed up)   

Back soon...  I hope.  LOL :)

Kudos0

Ok it rebooted fine and did not ask for reactivation.  which is good.

But that does not explain why it did it the first time after the latest NU update was installed and the registry defragger and scanner was run. ?   As it happened on the reboot that NU requested?

Mark

Kudos0

You're correct that doesn't explain what happened originally.  Windows activation is tied to the hardware configuration and fingerprint of the system.  Microsoft doesn't really reveal all of the data points used.  That said, defragging the registry shouldn't impact that fingerprint.  Same with the registry cleanup.  The only potential way I could see it happening is if there was a piece of software that was partially cleaned up in the registry that indirectly impacted the fingerprint.  The only way I can think of determing if NU caused this would be to either have the scan logs before and after the reboot or to reproduce the issue with NU. 

Replies are locked for this thread.