• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2

Outlook 2007 Retrival error '0x80042108'

We have two users on our Vista Ultimate system.  We've had it around 2 years now with no trouble with Outlook and Norton until around the start of December 2008 which is when I did the upgrade to the Norton 2009.

Many times when I log on now and run Outlook it does sends but then erors out on the Retrives with error code 0x80042108.  So I have to log off and back on and everything is corrected. Then if I log off and my wife logas on to her session she also has to log off and then backup. 

I've called for support and have done a ton of things, re-installing, etc.  and finally gave up on the support lines.

So today I decided to see if it is Norton or Outlook that is causing the trouble.  I Uninstalled Norton and then spent around a half hour logging on and off of the two user names we have, and running Outloo each time, and NO error occused.  So I feel that I have it down to Norton being the cause.  So I re-installed Norton and presto I'm back to having to Log on and off to use Outlook.

Am I missing something?  I've checked all that I can think off.  Help!

Thanks,

Ken

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Outlook 2007 Retrival error '0x80042108'

We have two users on our Vista Ultimate system.  We've had it around 2 years now with no trouble with Outlook and Norton until around the start of December 2008 which is when I did the upgrade to the Norton 2009.

Many times when I log on now and run Outlook it does sends but then erors out on the Retrives with error code 0x80042108.  So I have to log off and back on and everything is corrected. Then if I log off and my wife logas on to her session she also has to log off and then backup. 

I've called for support and have done a ton of things, re-installing, etc.  and finally gave up on the support lines.

So today I decided to see if it is Norton or Outlook that is causing the trouble.  I Uninstalled Norton and then spent around a half hour logging on and off of the two user names we have, and running Outloo each time, and NO error occused.  So I feel that I have it down to Norton being the cause.  So I re-installed Norton and presto I'm back to having to Log on and off to use Outlook.

Am I missing something?  I've checked all that I can think off.  Help!

Thanks,

Ken

Kudos0

Hi Ken,

If you haven't done so already, you should check your Firewall Settings.

Open the main Norton interface. Click Internet Settings and go to Smart Firewall > Program Control > Configure.

The Program Control Window will open. Scroll down to Outlook and check that the Access is set for "Auto" or "Allow".

If it is already set for "Auto", try setting it for "Allow" then "Apply" and OK your way out.

Let us know if that helps.

[edit: spelling]

Message Edited by Phil_D on 01-15-2009 11:37 PM
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi Ken,

This error can also happen if you have SSL connection enabled with Norton program. Do you have configured the Outlook for Outgoing Server Requires Authentication? What are the Server Port Numbers used for SMTP and POP3?
Do you have SSL checked for the POP and SMTP servers?

Apart from what Phil_D has suggested, disable the AntiSpam component from NIS 2009, then check whether you are getting any error.

Yogesh

Kudos0

Hmm,  I've checked the Server ports in my local network and they were the same at the Norton layout except the IPv6 has an additional '%7', at the end, that is missing from the Norton address.

I did notice that my network is set to 'obtain an IPv6 address automatically' and the same with the IPv4 address. Where they automatically get the address I don't know?   

When I look at the address's when I'm having the Outlook trouble I see that they are the same as when I'm not having the trouble. 

Should I maybe hardcode the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses into the network?

Phil_D:

Outlook was set to 'auto' in Norton so I changed it to 'allow'. I havn't started testing it yet though.  The support line had me do that last week though and there was no change.  I'll let you know, you'll probably here me jumping up and down, if that works!!! :-)

Thanks,

Ken

Kudos0

Hi Ken,

By default, a Windows Vista client will configure its local IPv6 address based on what a local IPv6 router instructs it to do(mostly the DHCP server from your ISP). If you don't have a properly configured router in your environment, a Windows Vista client will not contact a DHCP server for an address even if the settings on the network interface are configured to "Obtain an IPv6 address automatically", but will instead automatically configure an address.

Can you confirm that you use Port 110 for incoming(POP3) and Port 25 for outgoing(SMTP)?

All of us want to hear the same "jumping up and down" from your side..

Yogesh

Kudos0

Hi Yogesh,

Looking at the ports in the Outlook address area I see that the POP3 has 110 and the SMTP has 25.

I also logged off and logged on to my wifes session and got the dreaded 0x80042108 and then logged off and rignt back on and Outlook worked fine. I then logged off and on to my session and had the same troubles.

Could it be the missing '%7' from the IPv6 address in the Norton system could be causing the trouble?

Do I even need the IPv6 connection?

Maybe Norton checked that IPv6 address and gets the error but when I log back on it checks only the IPv4 address which is correct?

Oh, I did change the Outlook in Norton from 'Auto' to 'Allow' and the error still happened. 

Thanks!

Ken

Message Edited by OutLook-LookOut on 01-16-2009 08:18 AM
Kudos0

Ken

Did your problem get resolved? I have been experiencing the same thing since NIS 2009 was installed. It appears to be associated with the system going into 'sleep mode' and then being 'woken'. I have found that restarting Windows (Vista Ultimate) will resolve the problem - not that that is a desirable or a permanent solution.

I have an HP Pavilion a6160 desktop.

Cheers

Trevor

Kudos0

Hi Trever,

No, I hate to say that I haven't gotten it cured yet.  I hadn't tried the sleep mode to see if that also causes it on mine. So I just tried it a couple of times and my Outlook kept behaving just fine. On mine I don't believe it would occur if after I 'log-off' and the other user, my wife, hasn't logged on and off. Then when I Log on, after my wife has logged-off I have the trouble. These log-on and log-offs are just warm-starts. If I do a cold-start I don't believe I've ever had the trouble occur.  So, we may be having similar trouble with a little different causes.

Inspecting my IPv4 and IPv6 addesses in my network and the Norton network everything is identical except the IPv6 address. The one on Nortons is two bytes shorter, the last two bytes are %7 so maybe the '%' is used as a delimiter by Norton truncates it when reaches the '%'??

Oh well, I'm getting use to checking my e-mail first and just logging back on when there is trouble.  

Sometime it will hopefully be repaired wherever it is being caused. 

I have an HP Touchsmart PC IQ770 with Vista Ultimate.

I'll let you know if I ever uncover the trouble! :-)

Thanks,

Ken

Kudos0

Hi Ken

Can you try the following individually to see if they resolve your issue?

1. If AntiSpam is enabled, disable AntiSpam

2. If outbound email scanning is enabled, disable outbound email scanning.

Also, do you have Outlook Connector or Office Live Add-In installed?

Kudos0

Hi Jamesk,

1. I didn't have AntiSpam on until some time this week when I turned it on and it locked itself into my Outlook 2007. But, the trouble still happened so I disabled it an hour or so later.

2. I couldn't remember if I'd tried disabling the outbound mail, I had tried the inbound. So I just tried it and still had the trouble. So I then disabled both the inbound and the outbound and still had the trouble.

3. I don't know where to find the 'Connector' in Outlook but looking in the 'Trust Center' I do see 5 Active Add-ins.

a. Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging

b. Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server Colleague Import Add-in

c. Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service

d. Norton AntiSpam Outlook Plugin

e. Window Search E-mail Indexer

The Norton one says it's for 16.2.0.7.  I don't know if why that is in Active status seeing as I disabled it the other day. I guess it just sits there in case I enable it?

Do you know why Norton has my IPv6 address in the Norton Network? 

What it has for it has the last 2 bytes truncated from it. 

Speaking to my ISP they said that they only use the IPv4. So I was thinking that maybe Norton uses the second address in the list sometimes, in my case when another user log-on after my wife logs-off, and that would diffidently be an invalid address and fits the description of the '0x80042108' error message?

Thanks for writing!

Ken

Kudos0

I suggest you create a new user account with administrator rights, delete temp files.

Turn off antispam in Norton . there seems to have seen some conflict between outlook 2007 and antispam.

Message Edited by Allen_K on 02-02-2009 02:35 PM
Kudos0

Hi Rambo12,

I've always kept antispam off. But, trying to get it to work I did try with it on for a couple of hours(until it failed).

I can't see how a new account, in vista, would help seeing as it works fine unless I log off and my wife logs on and tries to get her mail which would then require her to log off and back on to get it to work.

Are you speaking about an account within the Norton system?

Thanks,

ken

[edit: Grammar and spelling errors.]

Message Edited by shannons on 02-02-2009 09:09 AM
Kudos0

Hi,

For the question on the IPv6 address, the % is just a scope ID and it doesn't mattter that the network map is displaying it without it.

Have you tried turning off the firewall and Intrusion Prevention features and seeing if that helps with the problem?  (please remember to turn it back on!)

I did a quick google search for the error code and it looks like people without Norton products installed still run into the error. Some people have reported router issues, general internet connections breaking, etc...they can all cause this generic error.

Thanks,

/Chester

Kudos0

Hi Chester,

Hmmm, so that would mean that me IPv6 address is in sync. But, as I mentioned a little earlier, I spoke to my ISP and they said that they just use the IPv4 addresses. In my systems network it says that my IPv6 is my "Link-local IPv6 Address" so should it even be in my Norton Network Address'?    Over the last couple months I've tried about everything must I'm not 100% sure I tried turning 'Intrusion Prevention' off so I'll try that out.

I don't have a router any more and when I get the the error('0x80042108') Outlook has already sent mail out but it's when it 'retrieving' the mail coming in that it errors out.

Weird, eh?

Thanks,

Ken

Kudos0

Hi Ken,

Yes, Vista has the IPv6 stack installed by default.  Your machine will have a linklocal ipv6 address (most likely FE80::....) and that is correct

To turn off Firewall or Intrusion Prevention, click on the Norton tray icon.  You will see two toggles to the right-middle that say "Smart Firewall" and "Intrusion Prevention".  You can toggle those to OFF and retry the Outlook connection again.

If the problem is only in retrieving mail, it is the POP3 connection that is having problems.  Currently, is your Antispam feature ON or OFF?

Thanks,

/Chester

Kudos0

Yeah, the Antispam is off.  This '0x80042108' error doesn't occur very often if it's just me on the system during the day. But, if I log off, not a 'cold' reboot, and then my wife logs on to here account shel'' get the error and just has to do the 'warm' log off and log back on and everything is fine. (Until I want to log on, then I have to do the same :-)  We've gotton pretty use to it but it will sure be nice when some upgrade corrects it.

It started happening after we did the Norton 2009 update but I also get Window Updates every month and I think there were some Office 2007 updates in December also.

I've done a lot of searching in the Office forums too. But, only found old ones.

I'll be trying that Infusion Off test a little later today. I can normally cuase it by loging onto my wifes account.

Thanks!

Kudos0

Well I just tried the 'Intrusion Prevention' being off and that also didn't remove the error.  One thing that I did notice which I don't think I've mentioned in this mail is that the Norton Icon on the Vista gaget side of the screen has hour glass type circle going round and round. Like it's having trouble getting into a working queue or something.  I've only seem that a few times though.

But, you never know that may have something to do with it, eh?

Thanks ;-)

Kudos0

I am trying to fix the same problem on my parents computer.  They are using Outlook 2007 and as mentioned above, disabling various parts of NIS didn't seem to fix the issue. Their ISP claimed that they have been getting a number of calls from people with the same problem seemingly related to anti-virus and their solution was to restart the computer, which did work.  In this case there are several user accounts on the machine also and the computer is running nearly all the time for Windows Media Center recording and playback.  It is nice to know that a full restart is not the only way to temporarily fix the problem.  I hope someone out there is able to find a solution soon as it is a very frustrating problem.

Other than this particular problem NIS 2009 has been great.  It is the first time in years that I have recommended Symantec for anti-virus.  I am really impressed with the overall performance of the program although we probably would have stuck with our old anti-virus provider for the time being if I had known of this problem.  Any new suggestions are appreciated.  This is the only major problem that is standing in the way of an otherwise great product.

Kudos0

I couldn't agree with you more. NIS is nicest anti-virus software that I've ever used.  I started using it a couple of years ago because the PC came with it installed.   I also never had any trouble unlit the 2009 upgrade.

So, after over two months of signing on and off to get my e-mail and a lot of attempts to fix the retrieval error(0x80042108), I hate to say that I uninstalled NIS 2009 and installed  a different system.

So, I can now 'retrieve' mail without any trouble.   However, I'll keep looking at Norton and Outlook 2007 to see if they, who knows which one,  have been able to get the condition corrected. If so I'd buy the new NIS  2010??  at that time.

Good luck to you on your attempts to uncover the trouble.

Kudos0

So glad that I stumbled across this thread.  Setup new Dell tower with Vista SP1 last month and decided to go with Norton Antivirus 2009 (not the internet suite).  Loaded Office 2007 with all updates.  My wife's account uses Outlook 2007 for her email and, for a few weeks, have been fighting the issue noted in the subject line.  I don't recall having this issue in the month of January.  Seems to have started 203 weeks ago.  Hard reboots have always worked.  Logging off and back on to her account does not always work.  The issue is sporadic and frustrating, to say the least.  Happy to know that I am not alone, but saddened to read that this is associated with the Norton product.  I have yet to contact Symantec and will do so.  This product has performed well and I don't even know it is running since it uses so little resources.  As others have stated, I hope a fix is provided quickly.

Please note that I even installed Outlook 2007 and installed the old Outlook 2003 with all MS updates and the issue was still present.  Am back to Outlook 2007.  Have others experienced this issue with Windows XP Home or Professional or is this only an issue with Vista?

------Windows7 Ultimate, 64 bit
Kudos0

Sorry, my last post should have stated that this issue appeared to start about 2-3 weeks ago vs. 203 weeks ago.
Kudos0

Hi Kaz,

Glad you found it also. It lets me know that it's not just my PC that is causing it.

In searches I did in Outlook threads I did see old posts that were definitely on older operating systems.

Hopefully our posts here will help Norton inspect the possible cause.

If you find a cure please post it here so that it will spread the word.

Thanks,

Ken

Kudos1

Kaz, Could you please check if Microsoft Office Outlook Connector is installed on your PC.  If MS Office Outlook Connector is installed, it should be listed under the “Control Panel | Programs and Features” on Vista or under the “Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs” on XP.  All symptoms are very similar to a known problem caused by the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector bug related to use of Windows Socket. We are working with Microsoft on this problem. Microsoft may release its fix on its own schedule. We are going to release a patch with a work around this problem very soon. Regards, Victor
Kudos0

Victor, MS Office Outlook Connector does not exist on the PC.  I am familiar with it as I use it on my XP laptop with Outlook 2007 to download my Hotmail email. 

However, I will offer that my wife syncs up her Outlook contacts and calendar to her Palm Centro cell phone so the computer does have the Palm Outook Conduit installed.  This was installed shortly after I received the new computer.  There have been no problems syncing the phone with Outlook so far.  Thanks for your help and let me know if you need any additional information.

Kudos0

I wanted to provide some additional information from testing performed this morning.  Still facing the issue noted in the subject line.  Booted Vista desktop into Safe Boot with the Network option checked via MSCONFIG.  Ran the computer for an hour and did not experience an Outlook 2007 issue at all.  In fact, the computer was much more responsive without Norton and other services installed.  Went back to operating the computer in normal operation (Norton and other services running) and experienced the Oulook retrieval error a few times within the next hour of operation.

I have also attempted, via MSCONFIG, to simply uncheck the Norton AntiVirus service in the Service tab, rebooted the computer, and ran the computer with no issue for the next hour.  As was the case with the computer operating in Safe Boot mode, it was much more responsive and very fast.

In normal operation (Norton and other services running), I also tried opening up the Norton Antivirus program interface and turned off everything on the page (selected the 15 min. disable option) and the Outlook retrieval error was still an issue.  I turned off:

• AntiVirus
  • AntiSpyware
  • Advanced Protection
  • Intrusion Prevention
  • Email/Message Scanning

I will be submitting another thread as the work above was primarily performed this morning between Citrix and myself as I use Citrix's Go To Assist and Go To Assist Express programs to remote connect to client computers and connecting to my Vista desktop (that has the Outook issue above) from my XP laptop was very painful the last 2 days in that the response from my Vista desktop was painfully slow.  The Vista desktop was operating normally, but the transmission of screen changes to my XP laptop (opening docs, moving a Windows from one location to another, etc.) was extremely slow and in some cases I lost the connection.  Working with Citrix and running the Vista desktop in either Safe Boot or disabling the Norton AV service resolved the issue.

It is clear to me now that there is a conflict issue between Outlook 2003 or 2007 and Norton 2009.  I may need to resort to removing the Norton program to avoid further issues.  Citrix noted that many of their issues are related to the client's Antivirus, Internet Security, or Firewall related issues.

Kudos0

Kaz,

What POP3 service do you use?

Here is the reason why I am asking this:

Some mail servers have some deviations from standards in their protocol support. In some cases that potentially could cause problems similar to this. We have been fixing problems like that from time to time as they were discovered. Your information about your POP3 mail service may help us in fixing the problem.

Could you please provide your POP3 configuration. Please remove all personal information (your e-mail addresses, user id, etc.) from this configuration before posting it.

Thank you very much for your help,

Victor

Kudos0

Victor, thank you much for offering your assistance!  Here is the info you requested.  FYI, all 3 email ID's noted below expereince the Retrieval Error '0x80042108' issue at the same time.  Either all 3 work fine or all 3 fail at the same time.

ISP: Verizon FIOS

Email: Verizon offerered a few options and I chose the Yahoo service.  2 email ID's are Verizon.net addresses via Yahoo service and 1 email ID is directly with Yahoo as follows:

POP3 Info:

Email ID 1 (verizon.net)

-------------------------------

Address: username1@verizon.net

Incoming mail server: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

Outgoing mail server: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Require login using SPA IS NOT CHECKED

Under More Settings: Outgoing Server tab - My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication IS CHECKED as well as Use  

Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server

Under More Settings: Advanced Tab - Incoming Server (POP3): Port 110 (This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection (SSL)

IS NOT CHECKED

Outgoing Server (SMTP): Port 25 (Use the following type of Encrypted Connection is NONE)

Email ID 2 (verizon.net)

Same as Email ID 1 but for username2@verizon.net

Email ID 3 (yahoo.com)

Same as Email ID 1, except for the following differences:

Address: username3@yahoo.com

Incoming mail server: pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Kudos0

Kaz and Victor,

I have been having the same trouble with Optimum online and Outlook 2007

Sending completes with no error

Receiving reports error 0x80042108

Cold reboot is the only reliable way to fix.

Incoming mail server: mail.optonline.net

Outgoing mail server: mail.optonline.net

Outlook 2007 - Account Setting - Change E-mail Account - Under More Settings- Advanced Tab:

- Incoming Server (POP3): Port 110 (This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection (SSL) IS NOT CHECKED

- Outgoing Server (SMTP): Port 25 (Use the following type of Encrypted Connection is NONE)

A fix would be a good thing! 

--

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 / Norton NIS 2009

Kudos0

Our settings are basically the same.  No SSL, no authentication on outgoing mail.  Only difference is the servers: username@shaw.ca with outgiong and incoming mail going through shawmail.ss.shawcable.net (only accessible form within the ISP's network).
Kudos0

Symantec, by any chance, does the rollout of v. 16.5.0.134 include a fix for the issue in the subject line?  I wanted to add additional information for the Verizon ISP.  According to the following link, "Verizon spokesman Clifford Lee said within the next few months, the company plans to shift to using Port 587 for e-mail originating on the Verizon network."  I read other articles suggesting that port 587 is already active for Verizon ISP cusomters and was able to demonstrate this myself.  Both of my wife's verizon.net email accounts successfully pulled in mail via port 587.

Verizon to Implement Spam Blocking Measures

Kudos0

Kaz, the referenced error code can occur for a number of reasons. There is at least one fix in the 16.5 release for an issue that could cause this problem. Whether this fix addresses everybody in this thread's issues has yet to be seen.

Regarding port 587, if you receive this error when using that port, then the problem is almost certainly not related to Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security since they don't monitor that port.

Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Reese, thanks for the prompt reply.  Based on you input that Symantec does not monitor port 587, since I just recently changed my wife's 2 Verizon accounts to port 587 yesterday and her lone Yahoo account remains at port 25, it will be interesting moving forward to see whether her Yahoo account only is impacted or not.  I will provide feedback.  Her Norton 2009 AV program as of this morning has not been upgraded yet to the newer version.
Kudos0

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in. This is the first topic online that I came across after what seemed like an endless fruitless search. We have a new PC that had NIS2009 trial installed. We liked NIS 2009's speed and user interface and wanted to subscribe to the service once the trial was close to ending but we're having the exact same issue the OP is having.

I literally spent hours on the phone with our ISP tech support (I originally thought this was ISP-related) and got no where. I then contacted Microsoft support for Office and had a great session where the tech support guy trouble shot everything under the moon related to Outlook 2007 but still no luck. He escalated my support ticket and the next day I got a call from a Microsoft support technician who basically came out and said that this is a known issue with Norton security products and suggested I uninstall NIS 2009. And sure enough as soon as we did, the problem was fixed.

I have since tried two other trial AV suites and while I still prefer Norton's Internet Security package, I've had no issues with the other packages. I really hope Symantec addresses this issue; obviously there's more than just a few of us having the exact same problem.

Kudos0

Have yet to receive the new Norton program update and still havng the issue noted in the subject line.
Kudos0

Kaz wrote:
Have yet to receive the new Norton program update and still havng the issue noted in the subject line.

Same here. Have a look at the other thread that I started and at the end I have a crude workaround that involves avoiding logging out from user accounts. Let me know if it works for you.

Edit: Disregard. That "workaround" stopped working for me.

Message Edited by ATC on 03-08-2009 09:55 PM
Kudos0

I have been receiving a similar intermittent error, but a different error code.  I checked in Event Viewer and here is what I found:

Failed to determine if the store is in the crawl scope (error=0x8001010d).

My ISP is GoDaddy, and the incoming mail port is 25.  I'm using Outlook 2007 SP1 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Jim R.

Kudos0

Hi All,

As Reese mentioned in his post, one of the possible causes for this problem has been fixed in the latest 16.5 update. This update is currently released in a controlled manner and we will have an annoucement posted in the forum as soon as the update is available for all.

Please report back in this thread, if you continue to have the same problem after  getting the 16.5 update.

Thank you.

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

Hi Tom, I'm still patiently waiting for my update to take place as I continue to face the subject line issue multiple times per day.  Only workarounds found are to either (1) log off and log back on again or (2) reboot the computer.  Will you please provide some detail as to exactly what was fixed that may resolve this issue for some, hopefully all? 

As noted in previous postings, preventing the NAV service from executing via deselecting in msconfig followed by reboot or starting the computer in safe boot mode resolves the issue pointing to NAV as the culprit or some other unknown interaction after NAV is installed.

Since I am having this issue in a repeated fashion and all solutions proposed by Symantec Tech Support (via email communication) have not resolved my issue (i.e., uninstall/reinstall Norton 2009 program, disable email check settings in the program), what options exist to have this pushed to my computer immediately?  I am certainly happy to provide feedback within a few days after receiving the patch.

Thanks,

Kudos0

I just had the same error (first time ever) with v16.5.0.135 .  Condition was Outlook open and had walked away to get some coffee.  When I returned I noticed the notification that "Norton is performing background tasks" so I waited to see what would happen.  The notification faded out in about three minutes later and everything seemed fine but when I went to send some email and got the same error on all three email accounts.  Closed Outlook 2007 and reopened; this time email sending and receiving processed correctly.  In checking the CPU Usage and times listed for Norton functions, I have determined that the process working in the background was the Insight Scan.
Win7 x32 SP1
Kudos0

Just received my upgrade to v16.5.0.134 (norton 2009).  Required a couple of reboots as other posters stated.  Will monitor for a few days and report back whether subject line issue still exists. 

One note of interest is that when Outlook 2007 was first open after the 2nd reboot, when accessing each of the 3 email accounts, Outlook paused with dialog boxes requesting passwords for each - all acocunts were setup to remember password.  This continued again after closing and reopening Outlook a couple of times so I rebooted.  No issue after reboot.

Message Edited by Kaz on 03-19-2009 04:49 PM
Kudos0

Glad you mentioned this; same thing here.
Win7 x32 SP1
Kudos0

Yep, I also had to re-enter my passwords for Outlook 2007.  I have three email accounts configured.  Not a big deal, and this hasn't happened since.

On the positive side, I haven't experienced any of the email download issues yet.   

NIS 2009 v16.5.0.134

Windows Vista Ultimate x64bit SP1

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kudos0

Symantec, per Reese Anschultz's posting on 3/4/09:

Kaz, the referenced error code can occur for a number of reasons. There is at least one fix in the 16.5 release for an issue that could cause this problem. Whether this fix addresses everybody in this thread's issues has yet to be seen.

Regarding port 587, if you receive this error when using that port, then the problem is almost certainly not related to Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security since they don't monitor that port.

-Reese Anschultz
Sr. SQA Manager
Symantec Corporation

Kindly clarify what "one fix" in the current 16.5 release (see fixes below) was expected to resolve the subject line issue.  THANKS.

- Fixed an issue where you may not be able to access shared folders on a computer connected to your home network. 
- Fixed an issue where the Quick Scan Open Security History expansion was not working on first click.
- Fixed an issue in Home Networking Map - not warning the user that another user is viewing the map.
- Fixed an issue in Home Networking – removing a remotely monitored device does not persist.
- Fixed unnecessary UAC warnings during install/configuration.
- Fixed a crash in Home Networking Map User Interface.
- Fixed a crash in the AntiVirus Scan User Interface.
- Fixed a contributing issue for Error 3040,10001
- Improved Home Networking remote monitoring Antivirus item formatting
- Added option to allow Pulse Updates to run when laptop is on battery power (Settings/Miscellaneous Settings)
- Added SONAR support for Vista 64-bit
- Allow Context Scanning (Right-Click file scanning) for Vista 64-bit
- Added Norton Product Tamper Protection support for Vista 64-bit
- Added UMPC support (install UI fits now, auto panning for small screens)
- Added Norton SafeWeb integration    - Site Rating and annotated web search
    - Shopping Safety (MarkMonitor and buySAFE)

Message Edited by Kaz on 03-20-2009 01:28 PM
Kudos0

Hi Kaz,

Victor's message earlier mentions the fix:

Kaz, Could you please check if Microsoft Office Outlook Connector is installed on your PC.  If MS Office Outlook Connector is installed, it should be listed under the “Control Panel | Programs and Features” on Vista or under the “Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs” on XP.  All symptoms are very similar to a known problem caused by the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector bug related to use of Windows Socket. We are working with Microsoft on this problem. Microsoft may release its fix on its own schedule. We are going to release a patch with a work around this problem very soon. Regards, Victor

The 16.5 patch includes a workaroud fix (looks like it wasn't mentioned in the list you posted) for this Microsoft issue.  AFAIK, Microsoft has not announced a release date for their own fix yet.

/Chester

Kudos0

Chester, the fix you are referring to, which does not pertain to me as I have never had Outlook Connector installed, was mentioned perhaps under the wrong rev.?

The following issues were also fixed in the 16.2 patch:

- Changes to allow future LiveUpdates better handle error conditions.
- Fixed an issue with 64-bit LiveUpdate patches.
- Fixed several Winqual reported errors.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with Microsoft Outlook Connector after installation of Norton Add-On Pack.
- Fixed an issue where the product would sometimes interfere with its own ability to match IDS signatures properly.

Is it possible that the subject line issue was addressed with another fix??  It has been less than 24 hours since my 16.5 patch was pushed via LiveUpdate and I have yet to have an issue.

Thanks

Kudos0

If the Symantec Service Framework fails to run in the user session, it could cause this error to occur. We fixed an issue that could cause a failure of the framework while processing e-mails. This is the fix that I was referring to.
Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos1

I just want to report on this issue as well. We were having the same problem with 16.2 as the OP (same Outlook 2007 error code) but since installing NIS 16.5.0.135 this morning (12 hours ago) we haven't experienced this error yet. I'm hesitant to say that it's fixed because knowing my luck I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and see it but so far so good.

Thank you Symantec!

Kudos0

I wanted to report that, since auto updating to version 16.5.0.134 (Norton AV 2009) on 3/19/09, I have not had a single issue receiving email in my 3 accounts.  Thank you Symantec for resolving this issue.

Other users that posted in this thread with the subject line issue: Kindly provide your feedback, positive or negative.

Kudos0

Thank you Kaz and ATC!

If anyone continues to receive this Outlook 2007 error message after the 16.5 update, please let us know.

Cheers,

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

As of a couple of days ago our copy of Norton still had not been updated to 16.5 so I downloaded the update and re-installed.  We have not had any problems with Outlook 2007 since then either.  It would seem that the update has fixed the problem.  I will be sure to post as well if there is any change.

Replies are locked for this thread.