• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool / Windows Defender with NIS 2010 / 2011 ?

I understand that it is not desirable to run Windows Defender while running NIS.

When I initially installed NIS, Windows Defender was turned off, but this morning it was enabled.

I am wondering if when the security patches come down and a signature update is included for Windows Defender it the update turns the service back on?  I have now set the service to disabled.

Any insight here would be appreciated.

Also, Microsoft offers the "Malicious Software Removal tool" which just runs either once a month, or on demand.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

I have been "assuming" that any malware tools that I just run as an interactive scan and NOT with resident protection will not interfer with NIS (stuff like MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, etc). Is that assumption correct? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool / Windows Defender with NIS 2010 / 2011 ?

I understand that it is not desirable to run Windows Defender while running NIS.

When I initially installed NIS, Windows Defender was turned off, but this morning it was enabled.

I am wondering if when the security patches come down and a signature update is included for Windows Defender it the update turns the service back on?  I have now set the service to disabled.

Any insight here would be appreciated.

Also, Microsoft offers the "Malicious Software Removal tool" which just runs either once a month, or on demand.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

I have been "assuming" that any malware tools that I just run as an interactive scan and NOT with resident protection will not interfer with NIS (stuff like MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, etc). Is that assumption correct? 

Kudos0

Re: Running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool / Windows Defender with NIS 2010 / 2011 ?

Letting the "Malicious Software Removal tool" run when it's offered with Windows Update is just fine.

Kudos0

HI NCHoser,

I'll try to notice next time I see something listed for Windows Defender but I thought I remembered that updates for this were listed under Optional on Windows update. I could be remembering wrong but I thought I recalled this.

At some point I do seem to recall having it hide updates related to Windows Defender so perhaps it might not be flagged as an update which is selected by default, not sure. I'll do some more checking on this.

I have Windows configured to download but let me choose when to install updates because I have critical software running which cannot handle the computer restart which occurs after many Windows updates.

I'll post back later next time I notice an update come in for this.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

Windows defender shouldn't turn on by itself. I have windows 7 and no defender updates get downloaded when its off. To turn off defender go to tools options, administrator option, turn windows defender off or something like that. Put a check in the box and hit ok. Next time you try to on defender, a small window will come out that says that defender is turned off.
Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva EdisonI'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.
Kudos0

Thanks guys I'll let MSRT run!

I'm not sure how NIS was keeping Windows Defender at bay, so I have disabled the Windows Defender service.

The defender updates in Vista come in as high priority / recommended updates so that might be what caused it,

there does not seem to be a way to tell it to stop pestering you with defender updates that I could find anyway....

Kudos0

Perhap you can turn off windows defender real time monitoring. Its one of the settings but I forgot which. You could also ignore defender updates by right clicking then and select hide update. Then again I'm using win7 and it might operate differently.
Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva EdisonI'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.
Kudos0

Thanks guys!

It appears Vista handles it a bit differently, but now I know what to do & expect so I'm good.

Also thanks for your link, I did not realize that, as a paid subscriber to NIS2010,  I was entitled to a free upgrade to NIS2011

Kudos1

Any paying subscriber can always upgrade to the latest version for FREE! Just go to http://www.Norton.com/nuc. That means should a 2012 version come out you can upgrade to with it without addition charges. Please spread this around to everyone you know!
Kudos0

I am wondering if when the security patches come down and a signature update is included for Windows Defender it the update turns the service back on?

It may happen if you have enabled Windows Automatic Updates.

Yes, you are correct. It is not recommended to run two real time protections together as it may cause conflicts with the functionalities and also can affect the computer performance.

Yogesh

Replies are locked for this thread.