• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos2

Scammed by logmein123 ?

My mom recently bought a new desktop computer because her old one went out.  She needed to install her Norton Antivirus on the new computer but because she had already installed this program on 3 other computers using this disc (the limit) she had to call Norton to get another product key.  When she called customer service at Norton/Symantec she was connected to a tech support in India.  He told her that he was unable to pull up her Norton Antivirus product information and needed access to her computer to see if he could pull it up.  He gave her a code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to the computer.  He immediately said that the Norton Antivirus was infected (The computer comes with a 60 day trial and she's only had the computer 3 days!) He said that the desktop had over 14,000 viruses and said it needed to be fixed immediately.  He then said that he needed to gain access to my laptop since Norton was installed on my computer too.  Trusting that this was legit, he gave me a different code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to my laptop.  He pulled up the eventviewer and said that I had over 46,000 viruses on my laptop and that my laptop had infected my mom's desktop because we are on the same network....which made no sense to me.  He instructed me to turn off my administrative account and that for $600 he could remove the viruses from both computers.  My mom stated that she did not have that kind of money and would not be able to have this service done at this point and time.  He became very frustrated and kept pushing her to allow him to do this service and pay the $600.  My mom kept telling him no and he said that only a "level 3 certified" tech could remove the viruses and that she would not be able to use her computer anymore.  He even told her to find a friend or family member to give her the $600 so she could have this done right away.  My mom didn't give in and she hung up.  I looked at the messages in the eventviewer and they were Error messages and system information ranging from 2008 to now.  Nothing indicated a possible virus.  I ran a full system scan with Norton and Superantispyware and the the logs came up clean.  I admit that I did have a virus on my computer a few months ago after doing a Java update but those viruses were thoroughly removed and I haven't had any problems since.  I was doing some research afterwards and came across several websites that have stated that "techs" are using logmein123 as a scam.  Should we be worried since this person had access to both of our computers.  Should I be concerned about the error messages on my computer?

Replies

Kudos4

Re: Scammed by logmein123 ?

Hi Lshyann,

Welcome to the Norton Community. I have to admit this sounds very fishy. What country are you located in? For the USA for example, Norton charges $99.99 for virus removal service. Please see the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/nortonlive/spyware-virus-removal.jsp

What number did you call for Symantec?

When you activated Norton Antivirus it would have been linked to a Norton Account and an email address. From your Norton Account you can request a new product key. Please visit:

https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do

What you all were told sounds very, very fishy and the charge of $600 (assuming USA currency) is completely outrageous and I don't know of any circumstance in which Symantec would ever charge that much.

As a precaution you can also run a full scan with the free version of MalwareBytes per the procedure below. The free version is an on-demand scanner only and will not interfere with your Norton product.

Please download, install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes following the procedure outlined below. Any other recommendations will follow after you have a chance to provide any other details requested.

Please go to www.malwarebytes.org

1. Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) free version and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as “default” only
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
5. Click “Finish.” The program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly choosing a "full scan".
7. When scanning is finished click on “Show Results”
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked with a check mark, click on "Remove Selected".
9. Restart your computer.

Please post the logs back to this thread using "add attchments" at the bottom.

Note: Sometimes the main site is blocked from attempts to download MalwareBytes. If this occurs please try to download from:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Please do not download the Spyware Doctor which you will see on this page!

Please check your Norton account is mentioned earlier. This is the easiest and safest way to purchase a product key to cover more computers.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos1

Lshyann:  First  Allen gives great advice, if I were you Id follow it.

I have to say I love my norton product (nis 2010) and have previous years also, that said a year or so back I had problems with 2009 product sucking cpu power and not shutting down right, I tried cust service too and never will again...I got what your mom got, they had to sign on to my machine thru' the site you mentioned.  It took a long time too...what were they doing I dont know...

I was leary and let them but got really nervouse watching this go on and cancelled the connection.

Now I hate to say this but I really think I had virus' or fake ones or something put on my pc, because after that it had a mess of trouble it hadnt had before.  It was running really strange. I ended up doing a restore and then....

The folks here had me uninstall 09 and simply update to newer version, voila fixed!

I cant say this for sure but it just seemed fishy to me too, and they kept indicating that I might have to pay for the help I kept saying then stop I cant pay you.

Years back you could get simple concise help thru email even from symantec, seems now all they want to do is commando your machine makes me so very nervous I will never do that again.

I always come here now first.  I have worried about that 123 sign on thing a lot since then, changed all my passwords too.

Your mom isnt the only one who found that wierd anyway.

To those in the know...is the sign on 123 thing a scam? And why would we reach that from symantec help line??

Kudos2

Hi Folks,

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe this was Norton which is why I asked for the phone number Lshyann called.

The following links might prove interesting.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/b57b5f1d-d99a-4b3f-9ecf-e0770464190b

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam

Lshyann, how long was the technician logged into the computer(s)? Do you recall what was done while they were logged on?

Edit: Hi Artfreak, I just saw your last edited question. I don't know how to answer that except to say that I would really like to know the phone number which was called.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos1

My experience was connected through chat help from the norton console.

Kudos4

Hi Lshyann,

Welcome to the community!

I would like to have support case ID number so that our team can look into it further. Can you please send me the necessary details over a Private Message through the community private messenger.

Thanks,

Venkat

Venkat Jammalamadugu
Norton Forums Moderator
Consumer Products and Solutions
Symantec Corporation

Kudos2

Lshyann,

Venkat --names in red are Norton staff -- asked you to send him a private message with informationion in it:

<< Can you please send me the necessary details over a Private Message through the community private messenger.  >>

In case you are not familiar with how to do this the easiest way is to click on his red name where it shows who it is from and this will open up a page with details about him. Look over to the right in the box where it says Contact and click ont bown line that says Send this user a private message and that will open up the private message editor with his address filled in.

Then just give him the Case ID that he asks for.

In general if you want to send a private message to someone you click on that envelope symbol up top right next to Help but you have to fill in the address yourself! If you see that envelope is yellow instead of an outline it means you have a private message/reply so click on it and it will take you to it.

Hope that helps.

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks for the responses everyone.  The Norton product that we have is Norton Internet Security 2010.    My mom contacted customer service via this number 1-877-213-7796.  Her new computer is an HP Pavilion All-in-One with Windows 7.  My laptop is a Toshiba Satelitte with Windows Vista.  We live in the US and the person that we spoke with told us that he was located in India.  He stated that his name was Salmon.  He initially told my mom that she would be able to install NIS on the new computer since the old one died and instructed her to insert the disc.  He then stated that he needed access to the computer via logmein123 so that he could install it from his end.  Once he gained access that's when he stated that the computer had been infected with viruses and it was from my laptop.  He had access to the computer for about 15-20 minutes before he stated that he needed access to my laptop.  I'm not exactly sure what all was done on my mom's computer because I wasn't in the room, but on my laptop all that he did was pull up the event viewer and said that the error messages and system information messages were all viruses and that neither me or my mom would be able to use our computers anymore until we paid the $600 and had the viruses removed.  He stated not to do any type of transactions online with credit cards because it wasn't safe but wanted access to my mom's credit card so he could charge this service. In all, he had access to my mom's computer for about 35-40minutes and access to my laptop for about 20 minutes. Once he disconnected from both computers I disabled any type of remote access to the computer.

Ventkat_J  I'm sorry but I don't have the case ID number.  She was not given one.

I just completed a full scan with Malwarebytes and the scan came up clean. 

There was also a chat box from iYogi that popped up when he gained access to the computer

Kudos0

My mom recently bought a new desktop computer because her old one went out.  She needed to install her Norton Antivirus on the new computer but because she had already installed this program on 3 other computers using this disc (the limit) she had to call Norton to get another product key.  When she called customer service at Norton/Symantec she was connected to a tech support in India.  He told her that he was unable to pull up her Norton Antivirus product information and needed access to her computer to see if he could pull it up.  He gave her a code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to the computer.  He immediately said that the Norton Antivirus was infected (The computer comes with a 60 day trial and she's only had the computer 3 days!) He said that the desktop had over 14,000 viruses and said it needed to be fixed immediately.  He then said that he needed to gain access to my laptop since Norton was installed on my computer too.  Trusting that this was legit, he gave me a different code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to my laptop.  He pulled up the eventviewer and said that I had over 46,000 viruses on my laptop and that my laptop had infected my mom's desktop because we are on the same network....which made no sense to me.  He instructed me to turn off my administrative account and that for $600 he could remove the viruses from both computers.  My mom stated that she did not have that kind of money and would not be able to have this service done at this point and time.  He became very frustrated and kept pushing her to allow him to do this service and pay the $600.  My mom kept telling him no and he said that only a "level 3 certified" tech could remove the viruses and that she would not be able to use her computer anymore.  He even told her to find a friend or family member to give her the $600 so she could have this done right away.  My mom didn't give in and she hung up.  I looked at the messages in the eventviewer and they were Error messages and system information ranging from 2008 to now.  Nothing indicated a possible virus.  I ran a full system scan with Norton and Superantispyware and the the logs came up clean.  I admit that I did have a virus on my computer a few months ago after doing a Java update but those viruses were thoroughly removed and I haven't had any problems since.  I was doing some research afterwards and came across several websites that have stated that "techs" are using logmein123 as a scam.  Should we be worried since this person had access to both of our computers.  Should I be concerned about the error messages on my computer?

Kudos0

1-877-213-7796 requires a Pin # for access....

have you called the number...

Did your Mom offer any personal information ...

NIS21.5 VistaSP2 FF32 IE9 Compaq A931NR
Kudos0

Hello Lyshyann

I have notified the Mods about your response so they will see your answer back here in the forum.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

bjm -- The only information my mom gave was her name and telephone number.  She said she got this number online.  She actually got 2 numbers online 1-800-441-7234 and 1-877-213-7796.  The first number she called and didn't get an answer so she called the second number

Kudos0

1-800-441-7234 > Symantec Support - Free

(877) 282-3565  http://www.symantec.com/norton/nortonlive/  - Fee based Symantec Support

1-877-213-7796 > requires Pin #  ....

try 1-800-441-7234 for yourself...just worked OK for me

Did Mom go through One Click Support ?

NIS21.5 VistaSP2 FF32 IE9 Compaq A931NR
Kudos2

Lshyann wrote:

bjm -- The only information my mom gave was her name and telephone number.  She said she got this number online.  She actually got 2 numbers online 1-800-441-7234 and 1-877-213-7796.  The first number she called and didn't get an answer so she called the second number

That first number is Symantec but phone support can take ages to anwer unfortunately.

A Google on the second only shows up this thread! And some other 877-213 xxxx numbers. Reverse lookup does not show any results but that's not uncommon for freephone numbers.

It would be good if you could check your mother's phone bill and see what she was charged for the call because there are some free phone numbers that redirect you to outside the USA, especially the Caribbean I understand, and you end up paying a fortune for the phone call instead of it being free. She could call customer service for her phone and ask for the charge to that number on that date.

Hugh
Kudos4

Hello Lshyann

May I suggest the 3 best ways to get help with your Norton product.?

1. Contact Norton thru the product itself if at all possible.

2. Check the Symantec website for customer support and check out the methods suggested on the site.

3. Come to the Forum here and ask for help.

Trying to get help or contact methods by other means can sometimes lead to trouble.'

Kudos3

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I told my mom to make sure that there were no additional charges to her phone bill and were to get additional help

Kudos3

Hello Lshyann

Could we go back to the original problem now please.?

My mom recently bought a new desktop computer because her old one went out.  She needed to install her Norton Antivirus on the new computer but because she had already installed this program on 3 other computers using this disc (the limit) she had to call Norton to get another product key. 

Does your Mom now have her Norton Antivirus program installed on her new computer? She does not need to buy another key for her new computer. All she has to do is contact customer support via the free chat program link which I will give you and tell customer support that one of her computers has died and she wants to install NAV onto her new computer. Customer support can adjust her activations so that she can install it on her new computer. She can contact customer support for free from this link.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

She will need her key handy and the name of the product and email address that she used to register the product.

One other thing, if the new computer came with another security program installed on it, then that other security program will have to be removed first  using the removal tool from that other company before NAV 2010 can be installed onto her new computer.

Hope this will help you and if you need any further help, please post back. Thanks.

Kudos5

Hi Lshyann,

Sorry I couldn't respond to this any sooner as I was busy over the weekend. I contacted our customer support and it appears that the number 1-877-213-7796 doesn't belong to us. Further, you'd also mentioned that there was a chat window with the name "iYogi" in it. Please note that "iYogi" is an independent third party support service provider and they are NOT our authorized support partner. We highly recommend that you contact our support team for any assistance. As Floplot says, there is a built-in support assistant in our products a.k.a One Click Support, that will help you resolve problems by opening a chat session with our support agents. If not, feel welcome to use the following link to connect to our chat support representatives.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

At any point in time if you feel dubious about the support transaction, feel free to contact us here in the forums.

-Venkat

Venkat Jammalamadugu
Norton Forums Moderator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

HI Venkat,

Thanks for following up on this!

Best wishes everyone.

Allen

Kudos1

Hi Lshyann,

Our support team would be interested to contact your mom for a follow up. Can you please send me a Private Message of her contact details, in case if she will be willing to.

Please look through this well-drafted post from huwyngr (our community GURU) for more information on how to send a PM.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Scammed-by-logmein123/m-p/260357/highlight/true#M120200

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Venkat

Venkat Jammalamadugu
Norton Forums Moderator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

My experience also came from chat help. My Norton updater stopped working. Then it started working again. A week later it stopped and did NOT start working again. "Help" took me automatically to chat help, where I waited in a queue. A helper came on, and with my intelligent permission, entered my computer via SupportLogMeInRescue. I got real nervous and disconnected after a couple of minutes, but not before clicking everything I was told to click, almost. The next day, I got a phone call from Norton support (supposedly), was hounded to just let the guy on the phone put the newer version of Norton on my computer, so I let him try. He led me through a "redirect" address, and a 99 MB download began. First, it would take 23 minutes to complete, but soon it was saying 9 hours and showing no progress. I turned off the download, realizing how bad I had been had. Shortly after, I looked at my checking account online. Wild new charges were there, Netflix, Match.com, and a cellular service. I had to cancel my debit card, and must go in person to my bank to start the investigation that will have the charges removed.

Norton stands by and lets its customers be invaded THROUGH THE NORTON product! Unbelievable. I would have been so much safer WITHOUT antivirus potection. Norton is dead to me, a non-valid, very bad product, as less safe than nothing. The guys who perpetrated this theft of my money , and everyone else they've scammed (morons only, please) WILL BE be stolen from themselves. Karma is Karma. Norton, you better watch out too. This savaging of customers is mounting up.

This happened to me YESTERDAY (August 30, 2010) and TODAY (August 31, 2010). Beware of chat help, don't do it, and if your Norton product crashes or quits working, uninstall it as fast as you can. Norton is a throw-away. I had 215 days left after spending 50 bucks for that beast, and can find noplace to report what was done to me so others will be warned.

Kudos3

Hi CarlyCorday,

It is probable that malware on your system was causing your issues.  Malware is known to block antivirus updates.  It can also steal your private data such as debit and credit card information and logins.  Unfortunately, it  sounds like this may have been what happened to you.  Symantec is a reputable company that, as a provider of security services to businesses and individuals, is obviously not going to engage in the misleading types of  things you, for some reason, seemed to suspect.  You might wish to register and post your computer issues at Bleepingcomputer.com where they will be able to determine what might be infecting your PC and help you to remove it.  If you let them.  This really does sound like something you are going to need help with to clean up.

Kudos0

Yes, perhaps, but Norton failed to block the malware, and without Norton, this couldn't have happened. I didn't meet the scammers by chance, I met them at Norton chat help through the Norton console.

Thank you for reply, I appreciate that. Am praying that new antivirus prog will keep me safer now, and clean up whatever was still on my computer. The fraudulent bank charges I found were small and few, totally $35.44 (about). It would have been much bigger if I had let that Norton download continue running.

I will look at the site you gave me. Need those links very much.

Kudos0

Hello CarlyCorday

If BleepingComputer is too busy, here are a few more sites where you could get help also.

Please go to one of these free Forums for help in removing your bad malware or rootkits.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/

(Thanks to Delph for providing the list of sites)

Kudos2

Hi CarlyCorday,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to know about this. I'm sure you have contacted our authorized support agents, if you had gone through the Help & Support. As part of the recommended procedure, our agents don't perform any action on your computer without your consent, and what you suggest appears to be an unfortunate coincidence.

I can forward the case details to the concerned team so that they can look into this. If you are willing to share the details, please send it to me over a Private Message through the community private messenger.

Thanks,

Venkat

Kudos2

Carly,

I hope you will share the details with Venkat J, the Norton Staffer (names in red), so that they can learn what went wrong and help protect everyone.

I don't think we should rule out the possibility that while you started a "real" contact with Norton on line support that malware, perhaps already on your computer, hijacked this so that towards the end you were no longer dealing with Norton. But Venkat J should be able to determine this if you would help him via the Private Message communications using that envelope symbol up top right.

I understand the feeling about Norton letting in Malware but one of the problems in preventing this is that the Malware writers are continually changing things to make them more difficult to detect and as often as not we users unwittingly invite them on by clicking on a false image including those saying No I don't want your software thank you very much ....

So I hope you will be able to give some informtion direct to Norton on what happened.

You said << The fraudulent bank charges I found were small and few, totally $35.44 (about).  >> If this was on your credit card I suggest you consider advising the credit card company of a possible dispute since they have a limited period of time during which you can do this. I've only recently seen a warning about a scam that is circulating where the scammer just takes a few dollars at a time but from millions of card users and so does very well out of small debits that people may not even notice!

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos2

I believe these charges were on the poster's debit card, which, come to think of it, is something else that should be addressed.  One should never use a debit card online.  It affords absolutely no protection from fraud, and once someone has access to the card, money can be removed directly from the cardholder's account - it's gone and will remain gone unless the bank can be convinced to make the account whole again, which they have no obligation to do.  A credit card, on the other hand, limits your liability in fraud cases to $50, which is usually waived by the card company, and no money leaves your account no matter how many charges the bad guys rack up. 

Kudos1

Actually, my debit card is protected to the same amount, and because the charges were still "pending," they disappeared as soon as I cancelled the card. I don't want to be one of those credit card holders (like my friends) who gets the surprise charges just from being a credit card holder, in this economy. That's even more expensive than an unauthorized Match.com membership on my debit card. You can't really win. You have to decide which way you'd rather lose, lol, and so far, debit still seems as safe and less expensive than credit. I agree it is risky and probably getting riskier.

Thank you for these replies. I also wondered if it was all just a mad coincidence, but I keep coming back to the fact that it all started when my Norton product FAILED, a product I paid around $50 for, that had 215 days left on it. I went through the wringer for 3 days, and a week earlier was without security for 3 days inexplicably, with nowhere to turn. I'm not a heavy user over here, I use my computer for enormous writing and editing projects (Word) and research sites, never engage in risky behavior or very adventurous browsing. I'm dullsville. Also, for at least 10 years, on earlier PCs, I never had antivirus protection of any sort, and nothing ever happened to me. I got Norton on a new laptop, and the roof caved in. I consider this event pretty drastic! I sure won't forget it.

Oh yeah, and today, "they" called again. I'm so flattered by their individual attention. I don't think I'll be getting any more of it.

I hope nobody else gets suckered in, but I bet they will. Nasty world. Trust nothing.

Kudos0

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fVHGU-FxXJkJ:iripoff.com/5367/DRI*SYMANTEC_MYORD.COM.html+800-745-6061&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Fraudulent charges associated with unauthorized yearly renewal. Norton needs to clean house. It is nearly TOO ironic, the best-known name in computer security has such problems for some. The majority of customers are happy, but thousands are falling victim to the weird stuff, without resolution.

My bank will immediately investigate the charge that keeps reappearing as "pending" if it goes through. As of today, this isn't over for me, though I wish to God it were. My computer has been cleaned, however. It isn't "full of malware." This all comes from one source. They've not been able to do anything "new," they just continue with the information they stole initially, my old card number and my phone number.

And they are still calling me on the phone. Every day, including now as I type.  800-745-6061. That is Norton's number, but Norton would not be doing this. Norton is being used, and heavily, by scammers.

Kudos1

Hi CarlyCorday,

You appear to be confusing many issues here.  You were clearly scammed by bad guys who probably purchased your debit card information on an online blackmarket from whoever installed the data-stealing malware on your system or tricked you into entering your credentials onto a phony web page.  The damage was done long before you contacted Norton Support.

Kudos2

Carly,

Venkat J asked you in a message to send him via Private Message some information about your initial contact with Norton Customer Support so he could follow this up -- I know this IS important to Norton to resolve.

Did you do this? If so then I would imagine that you would be receiving calls from Norton trying to find out what went wrong.

Even if you did not he may have been able to trace your first contact and again someone be trying to make personal contact with you.

Please help all users be cooperating, however unhappy you may be with what has taken place.

Only the ones with names in red here work for Norton; the rest of us are users like you who try to help other users so we have no vested interest in seeing you debited with charges that are improper. Nor does Norton for that matter since they are not so short-sighted as to believe they can survive by fraud.

Please just for a short while suspend your belief that Norton has deliberately ripped you off and accept what users here know from bitter experience -- that there is a large internet mafia actively stealing from users by using techniques that look as if they are trying to help you and by masquerading as reputable companies. Check the headlines since I'm seeing this reported even in our local newspapers.

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos0

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/awful-scam-c55694.html

Now I'm really worried.

And no, I'm not going to engage by IM, sorry. I'm in enough trouble, having clicked too many things I was told to click, and regret it now. The internet is loaded with detailed stories on problems as bad as mine and far worse. All these people complain that no one will listen. Why is my case so vital to you?

No, I don't feel the obligation to chat again, no, I don't agree that would "help others" and that not doing it is "refusing to help others."  I think I can decide by myself what I should do for myself and others, as I have done for many years, thank you. Had I not come by to post another link to the myriad problems of Norton users I am finding, I wouldn't have even seen this prompt from Hugh.

I did not come here for a solution. For a solution, I uninstalled Norton, cleaned my computer with a new brand, and visited my bank. Will visit my bank again first thing in the morning to close my account and open a new one, now that I've read more on this. Delete all my posts if you wish, if you think they are not fair, that my problem is either not Norton-related, or that I am complaining at Norton's community yet refusing to accept help. I didn't come for help from Norton. I already used the Norton "help" feature. I added my experience to an existing thread about this very thing.

Please forget my email address, will you?  I want no more of Norton Symantec, help or products or chats. When my renewal comes up in 210 days, I only pray my money won't be "taken" from my new debit card on a whole new bank account. But I will always have to worry, now. I wish I had never heard of Norton, that when I bought my laptop, it had not had Norton on it.

Visit the other links. Those people are begging for your help.

Kudos1

I'm pretty sure Symantec would NEVER scam you! They are one of the largest anti malware researchers in the world! About a million people use their product. Just think about it for about $30/person that's about 30 million USD! Why would they scam over $500 USD and lose their reputation.

Are you sure you don't have malware on your system??? Plus, make sure you are not a victim of a phishing attempt. There may be plenty of FAKE sites masquarading as symantec

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9410021

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYyx_UoaZ7E

Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva EdisonI'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.
Kudos0

Carly,

Since "your mind is made up I won't trouble you with the facts" ..... <s>

However, I did look at the messages on the link you posted and the fact is that many of them did authorize Symantec to debit thier credit cards when renewal time comes round. The problem is that most of us don't read the small print as you could see in a thread about Adobe products installing unrelated (eg Yahoo) toolbars and so on on your computer when installing their products. In both cases there is a box you can uncheck if you do not want it to happen .....

And the other fact is that there is malware out there that does exactly what appeared to happen to you -- intercept a legitimate communication and subsequently misuse it.

But you have achieved your goal of saying what you feel and don't want any help ....

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Carly,

Since "your mind is made up I won't trouble you with the facts" ..... <s>

However, I did look at the messages on the link you posted and the fact is that many of them did authorize Symantec to debit thier credit cards when renewal time comes round.

Also, the threads Carly links to are very old, and the issue they reference was addressed long ago.  And of course, if you go to sites named iripoff.com and complaintsboard.com you will find nothing but gripes posted about almost every company you can think of, and obviously you are not going to get anything like an unbiased, impartial weighing of the evidence at these sites.  People are going to believe what they want to believe and will always be able to find someplace online that supports their views.  Sometimes reason, evidence and statistical validity are no match for a preconceived notion.

Kudos0

SoJ,

Thanks for the back up .....

Hugh
Kudos0

The truth does is apparently not important, only the preconceived beliefs.

I say let the topic die now.

Allen

Kudos0

Hello Lshyann

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

How did your Mom contact Norton customer support?  Did your Mom register the program at mynortonaccount? If she had contacted Norton Customer Support, and told them that her old computer had died, then they should have been able to free up one of the computers that had it on and she should have been able to use the same key. $600; doesn't sound like the right amount either. If this is a new computer, then she should contact the company from whom she bought the computer also.

What operating system and service pack does this new computer have? What is the Norton product and version number involved?

Replies are locked for this thread.