• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

using Norton 360: ccSvcHst error on shutdown

ccSvcHst encounters an error which does not allow Windows XP SP2 to finish the Shutdown procedure.  I must manually click "End Now" to end the ccSvcHst process, which will then allow the system shutdown.  what's the story?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: using Norton 360: ccSvcHst error on shutdown

Please write which version of Norton 360 have you got.
Kudos0

It is Norton 360 v 2.3.0.9
Kudos0

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Stu-

That thread relates to CPU usage?  My issue is only when I select system "Shutdown".  ccSvcHst will not terminate whatever process it's running, and Windows makes me manually end the process, which will then allow for normal system shutdown.  Does this issue relate to network drives or external drives?  I've never been able to find the page within Norton 360 which allows me to uncheck Scan External Drives, which seems to have been the solution for other users of NAV.  

Kudos0

If you have any Nvidia software installed on your pc,try it to uninstall..I had the same problem with nTune..after uninstalling the problem was resolvedMessage Edited by SaLaDiN on 06-02-2008 08:38 AM
Kudos0

nope... no Nvidia...
Kudos0

Do you have his problem constantly?

Do you use Windows XP?

Kudos0

Yep, Windows XP SP2 and it happens every time I want to shutdown.
Kudos0

hi all - i stumbled across this article in the Norton KB - doesn't look like a fix, but it does look like it will permit a clean shut-down.

mel
Kudos0

does that Registry Edit affect any other programs on Shutdown?
Kudos0

Wouldn't it be better to figure out what process within N360 is causing the hang, instead of editing the registry to cover it up?
Kudos0

Just thought somebody might like a report on this fix. I did it (changed the registry) and it seemed to solve the problem. However, although I didn't think of it at the time, it took two reboots.

MelodicWynd wrote:

hi all - i stumbled across this article in the Norton KB - doesn't look like a fix, but it does look like it will permit a clean shut-down.

mel
Kudos0

The registry fix only temporarily resolved my issue.  I am still getting the error on shutdown and, on occasion, upon restart.  I ended up blowing out my HDD and rebuilding it.  I then followed the steps to fix the registry.  Still unresolved.  Any more suggestions?  Please help as I am about to leave Norton and go to a competitor, and soon. 
Kudos0

Hello Ke6gvc,

I'm sorry to learn of the problems that your are encountering with shut-down. We'd like to make sure that the problem you have is the same as the one we've been tracking in this thread. Can you provide some additional information to help us quantify the problem? Here's a short list:

1. What product and version are you using (Help / About)
  2. What version of Windows (and which service pack)
  3. When you indicate that the problem occurs on restart, do you mean that whether you are using Start / Shut Down or Start  / Restart the problem occurs? If not, can you clarify?

I've also sent you a forum Private Mail about how to gather up some additional logs that will help us isolate the problem (as I believe it is slightly different than the one we already have log sets for).

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Hi cdog124,

Yes, we definitely want to resolve the problem. This solution is only a temporary workaround until we can identify the root cause.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

I am using Norton 360 Version 2.3.0.9

I am running Windows XP SP2

The problem occurs on both Start -> Shutdown and Start -> Restart, and every other method of shutting down and/or restarting I've tried.

Kudos0

Norton 360: 2.2.0.2

Occurrence: All forms of start-ups, shutdowns, and restarts.  Most notable when the laptop has been powered on for an extended period of time.  Unless I manually end the task, ccSvcHst will not allow my system to power down.  I have a screenshot of a startup occurrence, dated 17 May 2008.

Additional information:  Conducted an online support session with an Agent on 17 May 2008.  Per his/her instructions, I made changes to the registry.  The AutoEndTask prevented the message from popping up, which was my initial complaint.  But, over a two-week period, after speaking with the Agent, my system began to hang before actually logging off/powering down. 

In my investigation, I began noticing ccSvcHst taking control of resources.  I have since rebuilt my laptop only to be faced with the same issue as previously reported.  Even after changing the registry setting then back again

In reading other forums, aside from Norton, it is very evident that this is not an isolated issue.  As I read through them, I see various steps being taken; changing the page file size, uninstalling/reinstalling Norton 360 with negative results.  There must be a fix for this.  Please advise.

Kudos0

Hi ke6gcv,

I've sent you a PM. Thanks for you willingness to help us better understand this issue.

Matt

Kudos0

Hello Matt,

Could you please post the solution here, as I have the same problem.

Thanks!

Kudos0

Hi Vejdin,

Right now all we have is a workaround, found here.

We are working on a solution but there is no ETA at this time. I will update this thread with our progress.

Thanks,

Matt

Message Edited by matt_phillips on 06-10-2008 11:56 AM
Kudos0

Hello Matt,

I too am having the same problem.  I am using Windows XP SP2.  And I have Norton 360 2.3.0.9.  I have also noticed that this happens after I have had my computer on for extended periods of time.  I powered it up today and tried to re-create the problem for a friend and it didn't happen.  So please, please notify me when you have a fix.  I am extremely tempted to switch programs but I hate to do that so I'm willing to give it a little more time.

Thanks,

Juliev

Kudos0

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry that you too are experiencing this problem. The temporary workaround is providing some relief - the procedure can be found here.

Can you confirm that the problem occurs with both Shut Down and Restart?

I appreciate your patience (which I do not take for granted). We're working on getting the issue resolved as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

I'm also having these problems.  Specifically:

1)  ccSvcHst won't exit while shutting down

2)  When I exit Excel 2003 SP3 and Word 2003 SP3, the windows close but sometimes the process does not exit.  I have to kill the process in Task Manager.

3)  Autoruns and ProcessExplorer (from SysInternals) have same problem as Excel and Word, except the process never exits, I always have to kill them in Task Manager.

4)  Eventually, some essential part of Windows gets corrupted, and I have to reimage.  I've reimaged twice now, I'm getting good at it... 

I'm running Norton 360 2.0.0.242 on a Lenovo Z60m with Windows XP Professional SP3.  I just installed Norton 360 today on a fresh image, perhaps that's why I'm not at 2.3.0.9 like the others on this thread.

I've put in place the Registry band-aid.

Anything I can do to help Symantec with this?

Kudos0

Hi GR,

We are expecting a patch for this shortly, which I'll notify this thread about when it goes live. If the problem persists after that, I'll be taking you up on the offer to assist!

In the meantime, can you run LiveUpdate until it shows no more updates available? You should be at 2.2x or 2.3x by now and several issues are resolved in those releases.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Matt,

Yes, I can confirm that the problem happens at restart as well as shutdown. 

julie

Kudos0

Hi Julie,

Thanks for confirming. I believe the solution that is in work accounts for both scenarios, but it will be good to have both cases testable here.

I'll update this thread when I have word that the fix has been posted.

Matt

Kudos0

Moved to a new thread for increased exposure.
Kudos0

Allen_K moved my post to a new thread, and while I respect his motivation, I think my problems getting to 2.3.0.9 may be related to the "ccSvcHst error on shutdown" bug.

Allow me to explain.  When I start LiveUpdate from Norton 360, "ScanStub.exe /scan 8" starts as a child process of ccSvcHst.  Even after Norton 360 announces the update is done, "ScanStub.exe /scan 8" never exits, and I can't run LiveUpdate again from Norton 360 until my next reboot.  This is the same behavior we see in Excel, Word, AutoRuns, ProcessExplorer, ccSvcHst, etc.  Is it possible the "using Norton 360: ccSvcHst error on shutdown" bug is at work here?

As a workaround, I did Start Menu -> Run -> Luall, and sometimes that got me an update, and sometimes it did not, even after rebooting.  But I'm finally at 2.3.0.9, what a pain.

I have a request to make.

When you finish fixing the bug responsible for "using Norton 360: ccSvcHst error on shutdown", I ask that you do more than just push it out as a patch through LiveUpdate.

I ask Symantec to remove all installers for Norton 360 2.0.0.242 from the Symantec website, all products affected by this bug, from all websites, and replace it with installers for a fixed version.  This bug corrupts our systems (probably indirectly), I've had to reimage twice now.  I think it is bad P.R. for Symantec to require people to install 2.0.0.242 on their systems, and then live with a system corrupting bug on their computers for any amount of time before LiveUpdate picks up and installs the patch to fix the system corrupting bug.  And if I'm right about "ScanStub.exe /scan 8", people have this bug on their systems longer than you'd expect.

Does this requst make sense?  Will Symantec do this?

Kudos0

OK, no response, let's try this again.

I have a request for Symantec.

When Symantec fixes the bug that causes "using Norton 360: ccSvcHst error on shutdown", I ask Symantec to remove from its website the installers for all affected products, and replace them with installers for fixed version(s).

Here’s the problem with patching this bug only through LiveUpdate.

In the online forums, several people say this bug corrupted their systems (indirectly, I assume).  I’ve re-imaged twice so far.  Patching only through LiveUpdate means all N360 users are exposed to a bug that can damage their system.

If a user re-images, or starts from scratch and reinstalls everything, and if can only get patched through LiveUpdate, they must restart with version 2.0.0.242, and they're exposed again to a bug that can damage their system.

The forums have complaints about LiveUpdate.  When I ran LiveUpdate from inside N360, I got messages like “update in progress” or “scan in progress”.  I bypassed this with Start -> Run -> Luall.  Then LiveUpdate installed 2.1.x.  Later, 2.2.x.  Still later, 2.3.0.9.  Interspersed with this, LiveUpdate said around 6 times there were no updates, which was absurd because my version of N360 was less than 2.3.0.9.

My point is that even smart, persistent users with constant internet access risk system damage, for quite awhile, unless we get an installer for a repaired version of N360.

Does this make sense?  Will Symantec do this?

Since I last re-imaged and reinstalled N360, Windows Explorer and Firefox have hung and frozen several times.  I’ll soon re-image for the 3rd time, and install a free anti-virus program.  If Symantec releases an installer for a repaired version of N360, I’ll use it.  If Symantec only patches this bug through LiveUpdate, I’ll ask Symantec for a pro-rated refund and buy a security suite from another company.

Kudos0

Thanks for the request, GR. I don't know the release plan for the patch that will carry the fix for this, but I'm concerned that I may have missed something earlier in the thread or perhaps elsewhere. You indicate that some folks say that "this bug corrupted their systems" - can you help me identify those posts?

The problem essentially has to do with individual components failing to check back in to ccSvcHst during shutdown and restarts for some users. I've not seen any reports (or perhaps just missed them) that are indicative of system corruption.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Kudos0

Hi,

Does any one can help?

I've the same problem! I just buy this **bleep** product for me and my sister two days ago....!

My sister don't have any computer sense....she's being complain this matter to me all the days....It's really really trouble me....help, what can I do?

I am using Norton 360 Version 2.3.0.9

I am running Windows XP SP2

The problem occurs on both Start -> Shutdown and Start -> Restart, and every other method of shutting down and/or restarting I've tried.

Kudos0

hi swk_tennis2007 - there is a temporary solution that has been provide in this document. it should hold you until a patch gets released.

mel 

Kudos0

Hi Matt,

Reasonable request.  I'll have to get back to you on that Tues or Weds.

Gimme_Rogaine. 

Kudos0

Hi mel,

any side effect after change AutoEndTasks registry value to 1 ?

if i forgot to close some program or when window auto update need to update when the system being shutdown. what will be happen?

Kudos0

hi swk - there have been no reports of "unintended" consequences using the AutoEndTasks change that i've seen. the description of this key from MS is as follows:

Description

Determines whether user processes end automatically when the user either logs off or shuts down Windows 2000.

Value Meaning

Processes do not end automatically. The system waits until the process ends, and, if the process takes more time than the value of the HungAppTimeout entry, the End Task dialog box appears, stating that the application cannot respond to the End Task request.

Processes end automatically.

i think it is simply and option for automatic handling of the End Task request that you see and doesn't have any other material impact.

mel

Kudos0

I know that all of us here in this thread are anticipating a fix for the ccSvcHst.exe.  Like you, I am rather frustrated that this issue prevents my PC from shutting down properly, if at all.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, tweaking the Registry is a workaround allowing the PC to shutdown on its own without user intervention, but doesn't fix the root cause.  With that said, to me, it would seem to me that Symantec is dilligently working on getting this resolved as quickly as possible.  I know we are all frustrated with this known issue, but ask that we continue to be patient and hope that a fix or complete, no-cost upgrade is released relatively soon.  

However, in watching my wife and how she shuts down our PC, I found something rather interesting.  Though I haven't tried it yet as I was leaving for work this morning, I thought I would post it here anyway.  

A while back, she would first just go through the motions of shutting down the PC directly.  In doing so, ccSvcHst would show as not being able to end on its own.  This caused frustration as she would then force the task to end before the PC would even think about shutting down.  (Ignoring the ccSvcHst error kept the PC from shutting down altogether.)  My ears are still ringing from her continual complaints.  So, she took matters into her own hands despite my telling her that I am working with Symantec in getting this resolved.  

Now, she logs off of the PC first from her user account, then begins the shutdown procedure.  In watching her do this, ccScvHst never once, to my knowledge, showed itself.  Thus, allowing a successful logoff.  Though, I did notice that the PC hung for an extended length of time before actually logging her off.  She would then proceed with shutting down the PC; still not getting the ccSvcHst error.

Food for thought.  You may want to give this a try as an alternative. Please post in this thread whether or not worked as I am sure Symantec will want to know also.  I will check periodically through the day to see what all of you have to say.  And, as soon as I get home, I will try this under my login and post my findings too.  Thank you

Kudos0

ke6gcv  

Very interesting -- I don't experience the failure to shut down but I do get the warning message for a few seconds.

As a matter of interest, is your Windows set up for Fast User Switching or for the full logon with password procedure?

We use FUS.

However my normal method of closing down is the keyboard shortcut which in VISTA is WINKEY +U + U then ENTER or in XP WINKEY + U + S

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr,

I do have FUS enabled and both accounts are password protected as this is a laptop we are using.  

Kudos0

ke6gcv wrote:

huwyngr,

I do have FUS enabled and both accounts are password protected as this is a laptop we are using.  

Interesting -- I'll try and remember to check the variations of shutting down you mention.
Hugh
Kudos0

Splitting thread as suggested.
Kudos0

The ccSvcHst is not directly related to the issue of programs which are no longing running remaining in Windows Task Manager, or Procexp. Indeed, the fact that many programs are not being released is, in my view, the biggest bug that exists in Norton 360 v2, and it is outrageous that the product has been released in this state. However, having been the largest professional beta tester in the UK (according to one dealer publication) I am not surprised.

In an effort to assist Norton, I worked with the guys on the forum for autoruns and procexp, i.e. sysinternals and having run windows debug in conjunction with Dr Watson, the fault and reasons were clearly identified. The culprit is considered to be Appmgr32.dll. The ExitProcess winds up calling into Symantec's AppMgr32.

I have tried to explain this to Norton 6 times, and have offered to send them the dumps, Dr Watson reports and have tried to refer them to the following

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15105&PID=72873#72873

but could not find anyone interested. It cannot be that difficult to resolve this issue.

I welcome responses.

Clive

Kudos0

Hi Clive,

First, please accept my thanks for the diligence you've put into digging into this problem. Symantec is very sensitive to the impact this issue has on customers (a temporary workaround is available here) and appreciate the time and effort you've put into drilling into the particulars.

As it stands now, we are actually nearing a release to address the issue, which will be released through LiveUpdate when it's ready. I will alert this thread when the patch has been released.

Many thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

matt_phillips wrote:

As it stands now, we are actually nearing a release to address the issue, which will be released through LiveUpdate when it's ready. I will alert this thread when the patch has been released.

Should we change the registry back when this release has been applied?

Kudos0

Hi Shally,

It will not be necessary to change the registry back in terms of impacting the patch itself. That said, the registry change is "harmless" in that it should not affect normal operations and could still be useful if you are experiencing the problem with any of the Office products "hanging" on shut down.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

matt_phillips wrote:

Hi Shally,

It will not be necessary to change the registry back in terms of impacting the patch itself. That said, the registry change is "harmless" in that it should not affect normal operations and could still be useful if you are experiencing the problem with any of the Office products "hanging" on shut down.

Thanks,

Matt

How would we know if the patch is working if we don't undo the fix?

---------"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer." Terminator 2Norton 360v.2.3.0.9Windows XP Pro MCE 2005 SP2Norton 360v.2.3.0.9Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005 SP2
Kudos0

Hi Clive,

First, please accept my thanks for the diligence you've put into digging into this problem. Symantec is very sensitive to the impact this issue has on customers (a temporary workaround is available here) and appreciate the time and effort you've put into drilling into the particulars.

Many thanks,

Matt

Matt, you seem to be confusing two different issues.

Clive is complaining about Norton 360 preventing Excel and a variety of other programs from properly exiting, leaving zombie processes that have to be manually killed.

Your workaround does not help with that issue, it only affects how Windows deals with hung processes when Windows is shutting down, and it only keeps ccSvcHst from preventing Windows from shutting down.

The Norton 360 patch you refer will to definitely fix the bug that makes ccSvcHst hang when Windows shuts down.  Does it ALSO fix Clive's problem with OTHER processes that do not exit completely?  I'm concerned that you (and Symantec) are confusing these 2 issues.

BTW, I found that Clive's bug prevents Firefox 3.0 from properly exiting.  When these zombie Firefox 3.0 processes exist when I start a new instance of Firefox, the new instance comes up with an empty bookmarks toolbar, and seems to have other problems.  Fortunately, killing all Firefox processes and starting a fresh Firefox instance brings up Firefox properly, no Firefox settings are corrupted.

Seeing Firefox do this prompted me to follow through on my declaration to remove Norton 360 until these issues are fixed.  I used the Norton 360 removal tool.  External documentation suggested it did not remove Norton Ghost 14, but the program itself declared that it did.  I found that it partly removed Norton Ghost 14: it left at least most of the files in the installation directory, but I could not start Norton Ghost.  Fortunately, reinstalling Norton Ghost 14 succeeded.

Gimme_Rogaine.

Kudos0

I just wanted to add my two cents.  I am having the same problem and I suspect it is linked to my Outlook 2007.  Using Outlook 2007 with N360 1.0 caused no problems. 

Since I upgraded to N360 2.0 (now 2.3.0.9) and have had the ccSvcHst shut down issue, Outlook 2007 will not completely shut down.  Even after I close it, it is still listed in the Processes window of Task Manager.

When I start my computer and try to open Outlook 2007 I get a message stating that Outlook did not shut down correctly last time and the option to start it in Safe Mode.  I start it in regular mode and have no problems.  This does not happen every time but more often than not.

I hope this helps toward a resolution to this annoyance.

Kudos0

Hi zds425s,

A number of people have come forward with a wide variety of applications that have the same types of problems you are having with Outlook 2003.  I seriously doubt Outlook is the root cause.

Gimme_Rogaine

Kudos0

Hey zds425s!

I too have played the game of going into Task Manager and shutting down my Outlook 2007 after closing it so that I can open Outlook later. I get the same messages you get.

I just updated my Norton 360 to version 2.3.1.4. I have never been rid of the ccSvcHst problem before now. I am hoping this issue finally goes away. I already had to "format/restore" my computer once.

Dave

Kudos0

In addition to all the problems listed above (hanging at computer shutdown, need to kill programs through Task Manager...), I got also that below, that I not sure it is related to the same cause, but it could be, since everything started more or less in the same time.

When I right click a file, e.g. in Windows Explorer in order to rename it or cancel it, I have to wait months before the menu appears or even I have to kill Windows Explorer with Task Manager and retry.

I have XP Pro SP 2, and everything started somewhat after having installed version 2 of Norton 360, confirming some comments above.

I add this, in the hope that the problem is related and it could be solved together with the others.

Bye

Replies are locked for this thread.