• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Outgoin Email Blocked

I have attached photos to emails and received a Norton message to the effect that each email was blocked because the attachment exceed ed size limit. I each case the total size of attachments was less than 500kb and well withing the allowable limit of my internet service provider. Is Norton blocking the emails, or what is happening. Is there a setting in Norton Internet Security 2011 that needs to be changed?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Outgoin Email Blocked

HI donabell,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What version of NIS 2011 do you have? You can find this from Support > About and it wills start with 18. Also what OS and SP (service pack) do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

This message comes from your ISP so it is highly unlikely that NIS is causing a problem, but first a bit more information from you. What email client do you use and what inbound and outbound ports is it configured for? NIS only scans emails (if configured) which utilize ports 25 & 110.

Please check a few settings on NIS. In Settings > Network Settings is Email Antivirus Scan and Antispam on or off?

Also from that same page click the Configure button next to Email Antivirus Scan. What boxes are checked on that screen?

You should normally have Scan incoming email and Scan outgoing email checked. At the bottom the "Protect against timeouts" should also be checked.

Again it is unlikely that NIS is causing this and is just reporting an error back from your ISP. To make sure you can "uncheck" Scan outgoing email and see if the problem is still present. You can also temporarily turn OFF the Email Antivirus scan.

If the problem still occurs, then you need to check with your ISP.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Allen:

I'm embarassed to say that there is no problem. I looked back at the email that was blocked and found that it was a text page I had scanned and had a file size of over 24MB. So, I'm certain my ISP did reject it, not Norton. I made the file smaller and resent it with no problem. Sorry!

Don

Kudos0

Hi Don,

No problem, I'm happy that everything is OK.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32

Replies are locked for this thread.