• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Cannot play any video from CNN in IE8. Is NIS 2011 the cause?

Hi,

I have a big problem.

My system is running Win XP (SP3) and NIS 2011 and I cannot display any video from CNN. Other sites like Youtube, MSNBC and others work fine. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Player & Shockwave without result. Contacted Microsoft IE 8 support and went through a few steps. Tech thinks that NIS might not be allowing the CNN Video page to fully display.

I see that there is "error on page" warning in the bottom left of the IE 8 window.

What do you think? I just noticed this today - don't play CNN videos that often, but I need it now.

Thank you,

Jon Graton

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cannot play any video from CNN in IE8. Is NIS 2011 the cause?

Forgot this...

Also booted up in Safe Mode w/Networking. The CNN videos played, but no audio since those drivers were not loaded yet.

Is NIS active in Safe Mode (I don't think so..)

Jon

Kudos0

Hi JGraton,

Have you tried adding CNN to your Trusted SItes Zone (make sure "Require server verification..." is unchecked)?

http://surfthenetsafely.com/ieseczone7.htm

Kudos0

Hi SOJ,

Yes. Did that and also cleared my whole broswer cache. No go.

The Video and Audio will not display/play.

Weird.

P.S. I am using IE 8.

Kudos0

That is weird. I tried and couldn't play either....

Kudos0

Hi donahu1, Are you using the same configuration as me? Yes, that is it! Do you have an "Error on Page" at the bottom?The CNN live feed works perfectly - only the video on demand (VOD) part is the problem. Tried also on my laptop running XP, SP3, (McAfee) and IE 7 -  all works fine. Does anyone else have XP, SP3, IE 8 and NIS '11? If anyone else can test ... with the above IE 8 configuration, that would be great. Tnx, Jon
Kudos0

Try this:  EDN

Kudos0

Hi Turbo,

Thanks. Tried it but the problem remains.

Microsoft was very adamant about it being Norton. We have to see... I don't think it is.

Only way is by testing with others having the same configuration.

Jon.

Kudos0

Hello Jon,

I just tested the CNN videos on my XP SP3 machine using IE8 and NIS 2011.

I have no problems watching the videos and there is no error on the page.

Perhaps you could click the error and expand the message?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi Phil_D,

This is interesting.

When I tried to upload the .JPG image for you to see, I noticed an "error on page" indication on this Norton webpage after clicking on the insert/edit image button, and it won't work at all.

Webpage error details

Line: 418
Char: 6
Code: 0
URI: http://community.norton.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/nis_feedback/message-id/145339

Line: 1610
Char: 63
Code: 0
URI: http://norton.i.lithium.com/t5/scripts/AA5141CDD617A12A4C7090FBCC44E942/lia-scripts-body-min.js

I uninstalled JAVA and re-installed (just in case), but that did not solve the problem.

How can I correct this, as I would like to upload the image.

Could the CNN issue and this be related?

Tnx.

Kudos0

i came here to the forums on a clean machine and was going to upload a picture once and it told me i needed to install flash. since its with cnn video and uploading it might be a flash issue.

have you tried uninstalling flash and then installing the latest version?

----"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
Accepted Solution
Kudos3

Do you have any DivX Internet Explorer add-ons or new IE add-ons?

If so, try disabling them, restart IE8 and see if you can watch the videos.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi whiplash,

Yes, both flash player and shockwave have been cleanly uninstalled and reinstalled prior to my initial post.

Jon

Kudos0

Hi Phil_D:

Yes, I have downloaded Divx in the recent past. I will uninstall it.

How do I see what IE add ons I might have and how to delete?

Tnx again,

Jon

Kudos2

Hello Jon,

In IE8, go to Tools > Manage Add-ons.

In the Manage Add-ons Window look for any DivX Add-ons.  If present, right click and select "Disable".

Kudos0

Hi Phil,

That was it!

Very well done! Everything works perfectly now, including my ability to post the offending DivX Add-On's.

Please tell me what let you to think that it was DivX?

What functionality have I now lost in IE 8 (not that I care)?

See... IE8 Add-on's:

These add-ons somehow play along with one another. All must be DISABLED for your web site and CNN Video to function normally again. Perhaps a member of your team could e-mail DivX and let them know that their add-on's are interfering with the functionality of your website and CNN on-demand video. Obviously not a NIS 2011 issue, as I thought.

Goes to show you that Microsoft doesn't know everything (or anything.)

Your rank of GURU is most certainly deserved!

Best,

Jon Graton

P.S. I owe you one!

Kudos1

Hello Jon,

I'm glad that worked for you.  What led me to that?

The complete error code stuck out like a sore thumb.  I remembered reading about it recently and I just went back to check if my memory was correct:  http://winmike.blogspot.com/2011/01/json-is-undefined-error-after-you.html

And it appears that it has been reported to DivX: http://labs.divx.com/node/16780

The only functionality you may have lost is using the DivX player to render web video, but Flash Player and your other default media players should perform fine.

Thanks for your kind words.  I was happy to help.

Replies are locked for this thread.