• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Possible conflict with SPYBOT-SD and firewall?

I have installed Norton 360 but had SPYBOT (and SPYBOT-SD active at startup) previously installed plus possibly a Windows XP firewall is on.  Does Norton 360 have equivalents to these and could there be any conflict between these and Norton Spyware detection features or firewall features?   Are Norton's versions of these things as robust as the others?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Possible conflict with SPYBOT-SD and firewall?

I have installed Norton 360 but had SPYBOT (and SPYBOT-SD active at startup) previously installed plus possibly a Windows XP firewall is on.  Does Norton 360 have equivalents to these and could there be any conflict between these and Norton Spyware detection features or firewall features?   Are Norton's versions of these things as robust as the others?

Kudos2

Hello KenfromNewton and welcome!

These are good questions that you ask.  May I ask what version of N360 you have?  The most recent is 4.3.0.5.  The version can be checked from the main interface > Help & Support > About.

Having two realtime scanners running at the same time can cause conflicts and may actually provide less protection rather than more.  Some folks use Spybot as an on-demand scanner to periodically check their systems, but any realtime components (TeaTimer) should be disabled.

The auto protect features in N360 are more comprehensive than those in Spybot.

The Windows Firewall does not provide the same degree of protection as the N360 Firewall which is far superior.  And again, having two firewalls running can cause conflicts.  During installation N360 should by default turn off the Windows Firewall.  You should check to be sure that Windows Firewall is turned off.

Hope that helps!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos1

Spybot S & D run with Tea-Timer enabled is known to conflict with Norton products.  If Tea-Timer is disabled it can be used as an on-demand scanner.  The windows firewall is turned off when Norton is installed and the Norton firewall is much more robust than the windows firewall.

I use additional on-demand scanners as a "second opinion" to Norton, but Norton does an excellent job.

<edit>  Good morning Phil  <edit>

Kudos0

Version is 4.3.0.5.

Windows Firewall was not turned off, so I turned it off.  I don't know why the install did not turn it off.  Norton 360 is a bona fide copy.  Is the Norton firewall automatically on?  How can I check?

Thanks for your help. 

Ken

Kudos0

Hi Ken,

If you have a green checkmark in the N360 system tray icon, then all the Norton features are functioning.

You can also open the main 360 interface and check that it reports "Secure". 

Additionally, from the main interface you can go to Settings > Firewall and check that the Smart Firewall is "On".

I would not be concerned that the Windows Firewall was not turned off. On rare occasions this may happen or Spybot may have made changes.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hello KenFromNewton

Having had Spybot on with it's active parts running while you installed N360, it may have caused N360 to not install correctly. It will also make the product work so much harder and will prevent any malware removal that may involve the registry. I would recommend a uninstall and reinstall with the active parts of Spybot turned off while installing and all the time. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Replies are locked for this thread.