• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

how can i reset my activations?

hi all any help would be appreciated.

i have norton internet security 2011 installed on my laptop with just over 6 months remaining on the subscription.

i had 2 remaining activations on the license and installed 1 on a separate pc which left me with 1 remaining activation.about 5 months ago i got the blue screen of death on my laptop and had to reset to factory settings.i reinstalled my product using the last license with left my allocation of 3 pc's used.

the other day i switched on my laptop again and i got a missing ntldr error which forced me to reset again to factory settings.it reloaded the original product that came with the laptop norton 2006.i had a live chat and help from norton and i explained the situation to the guy and asked could he reinstall 2011 and reset my other 2 activations back to 0 so i am only using the 1 licence on the machine im currently using.

i got the 2011 working with the remaining with the 6 months remaining.when the old product was removed i had to restart the machine and lost the live session.he said he would send a link to my email and i would be able to reconect with him so he could close the case.i never recieved this email and when i logged into my norton acc it says i have no activations remaining.

the other pc i was using was very old and the hdd fried several months ago and now i wish to purchase a new one and put my norton on to it with my current subscription.

so as it stands i am using 1 laptop with 3 license keys.

how would i get the other 2 reset??.

again any help would be appreciated guys.

thanks in advance.

gary.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: how can i reset my activations?

thanks for your reply allen.

my os is xp 32bit.

i thought i was as far as service pack 2 but after the reset i noticed it installed service pack 3.i have my settings set to download any updates on a daily basis and notify me to install.ive never noticed installing service pack 3 previously.

yes when i purchased this laptop in 2007 it came installed with norton internet security 2006.

i have renewed every year since and in 2009 i noticed i was paying slightly more for the renewal and it was only valid for this machine.i contacted symantec through the live chat and they helped me reinstall a newer version which was 2010 and was valid for 3 activations rather than 1 and also at a much better price than previous.i dont remember using the norton removal tool at the time.

a couple of months ago nis 2010 automatically upgraded to nis 2011 and when i reset to factory settings a couple of days ago it was back to nis 2006 again so i guess the norton removal tool wasnt used the first time.

i was again on the live chat last night and the guy couldnt connect to my comp using the logmein rescue program.he did provide me with links for the removal tool and download which i did and reinstalled back to nis 2011.the guy was very helpful and must of forgot to reset the remaining activations back to 0.i never got an email containing a link so i could reconnect to him after the uninstall and restart process.

when i log in to my norton it still says i have used 3 activations so i will use the link you provided and get them to clear the other 2.i have my case no recorded from the last session so i can quote that and take it from there.

again thank you for your help allen and i will post back the result.

best regards.

gary

Kudos0

all sorted now.followed your link and got chatting with another op and everything was reset.apparently it was done by the first guy i spoke to even though when i log in to my norton acount it still says i have no remaining activations.

the technician checked my account their end and assured me i had only one licence activated and their was a problem with their servers and the norton accounts linking up atm and it would be updated to show the true status when they were sorted.

again thanks very much for the help you posted.

regards.

gary.

Kudos0

hi all any help would be appreciated.

i have norton internet security 2011 installed on my laptop with just over 6 months remaining on the subscription.

i had 2 remaining activations on the license and installed 1 on a separate pc which left me with 1 remaining activation.about 5 months ago i got the blue screen of death on my laptop and had to reset to factory settings.i reinstalled my product using the last license with left my allocation of 3 pc's used.

the other day i switched on my laptop again and i got a missing ntldr error which forced me to reset again to factory settings.it reloaded the original product that came with the laptop norton 2006.i had a live chat and help from norton and i explained the situation to the guy and asked could he reinstall 2011 and reset my other 2 activations back to 0 so i am only using the 1 licence on the machine im currently using.

i got the 2011 working with the remaining with the 6 months remaining.when the old product was removed i had to restart the machine and lost the live session.he said he would send a link to my email and i would be able to reconect with him so he could close the case.i never recieved this email and when i logged into my norton acc it says i have no activations remaining.

the other pc i was using was very old and the hdd fried several months ago and now i wish to purchase a new one and put my norton on to it with my current subscription.

so as it stands i am using 1 laptop with 3 license keys.

how would i get the other 2 reset??.

again any help would be appreciated guys.

thanks in advance.

gary.

Kudos0

Others have reported back that it sometimes takes a couple of days for the reset to show up on your MyNortonAccount.

Glad to hear everything is not uptodate and running OK. Let us know when you get the final correct results showing.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi scorzeze,

You are most welcome and I am happy that you sorted it out with Customer Service.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi scorzeze,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What version of NIS do you have? You can find this from Support > About. Also what version of WIndows and SP (service pack) do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

When you reset to factory defaults on the laptop, did you have NIS 2006 or some other Norton security software? Did you remove it prior to installing NIS 2011 and if so how? Because 2006 is 5 years old we always recommend to use the Norton removal tool to ensure it is removed properly before installing the latest version.

To get your activations back you can contact Customer Service via Chat and explain what happened. They normally reset your number of activations on the spot.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19

Replies are locked for this thread.