• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Problems after updating to Norton 360 v 5

Hi, i have a problem with my norton 360 version 5. I had the previous version 4 and i updated. the problem is that everytime i turn on my computer, the antivirus says that it need to be fixed, then I click on the bottom to fix, after a while, everything seems not to be working, but the message appear, again. so i click to fix again and nothing. i tried to get support online, after a moment it says that the computer has to be restarted to complete with the fix, but once restared, nothing.. all the same. i uninstalled it once, and installed again, but nothing. i don't know what else to do

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problems after updating to Norton 360 v 5

Did you check your Norton keys? Maybe there's a mistake one letter or number is missing.  If not, then what I woud do, is to make system restore point, before you change anything on your computer. Write something like " before uninstalling Norton", so  Then , I would  use CCleaner or RevoUninstaller , what Revo and CCleaner  can do  , perhaps, find some remnants of version 4.0 and completely uninstall it, and some artifacts (temp) files of Unistalled/Reinstalled version  5.0. When it cleans those artifacts,reboot your computer and try to install your version 5.0 again. If that deosn't solve the problem, get on chat with Norton.

I would simply then wait for CD release at the retails store.

Kudos0

Bobcat -- Norton has it's own special tool -- Norton Removal Tool -- for dealing with corrupted or incomplete installations where completely starting over again may be needed.

And we can point users who need it to a URL to download a one piece installation file for when they can't use the Update Center -- this file is uptodated along the line while any on CDs etc are stuck on the first issue and are not updated.

Hugh
Kudos0

Where is this Norton Removal tool? I also want to know, in the cae I run into th same problem.

Thanks

Kudos0

and here come some more questions, should I uninstall Version 4.0 before installing  5? will vesrion 5.0 automatically ovewrite 4..

If I have to uninstall 4, how do i do that?

Kudos0

Bobcat1 wrote:

and here come some more questions, should I uninstall Version 4.0 before installing  5? will vesrion 5.0 automatically ovewrite 4..

If I have to uninstall 4, how do i do that?

Please keep all your questions about upgrading to V5 in the same thread -- I've answered a whole stream of them just now in the other thread You haven't even upgraded yet and this thread deals with a problem after upgrading.

Do you should not uninstall V4. The first thing V5 will do is ask if you want to keep your settings and then it will uninstall the rest of V4 and install V5.

PLEASE do not complicate things -- stick with one set of instructions and follow them or you will end up in a hopeless mess.

Hugh
Kudos0

My question is this, simply,

What do YOU suggest we do if we didn't install 360 5.0 ourselves, we were NOT asked, via you, nor our computer, of it being done, until it was already a fate accompli', and your technicians were the ones who installed it, without letting us know?

Incidentally, I have had almost EVERYONE of the problems listed on this Forum, since this was done. It took out my Internet Explorer 8.0 completely, which is my preferred system. If I hadn't had Firefox on board for my 4-in-one printer, for operational purposes, I wouldn't have had access to the internet at all! In less than 2 weeks time, I have had more operational problems than can be listed herein.

I won't uninstall this, since everything has gone horrifically wrong, since this was done, supposedly to help after my reporting a "blue screen/blank screen " incident 2weeks ago, it has only become a greater disaster! You put it in, without the o.k., my installing of it is something I WON'T bare the reponsibility for.

Has anyone else herein lost their accessability to their systems, and had unexplained changes done to their toolbars, or mal-functioning ones?

Please respond, if so. Has anyone else had problems with installation of 5.0 without you doing the installing yourself? If so, what were your problems, and what did you do.? Incidentally, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and Internet Explorer 8. ( After this, I turned down Microsoft's offer of 9 )

NancyLynn

Kudos0

Sorry, to the other people on this Forum.

Not for the content of the post, that is all true, and meant, as are the questions. However, I did not mean to more than hollar at you with the "Hypertext-ing Shouting" of the Rich Text and Font extras. Forgot I wasn't in private message mode!  Sorry once again!

Will still appreciate hearing from other members on their issues/experiences concerning this issue. 

Sincerely,

NancyLynn

Kudos0

Nancy:

What do YOU suggest we do if we didn't install 360 5.0 ourselves, we were NOT asked, via you, nor our computer, of it being done, until it was already a fate accompli', and your technicians were the ones who installed it, without letting us know?

[ ... ]

Do you mean "your" technicians or the Norton System?

So far as I'm aware it does not install without asking you -- it is apparently correct that it downloads the files if you are entitled to them but does not install them until asking you via a pop-up whether you want to run the upgrade or not. I'm pretty certain it does say it's an Upgrade (to V5) and not an Update like you get automatically for definitions etc ....

Not everyone appreciates this way of doing things and I'm pretty certain that in Norton Ideas you will find a message asking for a change -- please locate that and add your kudos to the first message since Norton Management monitor those threads and do pay attention to them as you'll see with some that indicate that it is under active consideration.

I'll let others suggest how best to deal with where you are now -- thanks for the system details -- just one more bit: 32 or 64 ?

BTW We windows 7 users are beginning to get advice in Windows Update that SP1 is being distributed now (my popup came this morning and SP1 is in the Essential but unchecked. You may want to delay until your system is fixed, unless it may be something that SP1 deals with.

Hugh
Kudos0

I am now adding on information that I found amongst my notes, there are literally scads of them, by now. But I DID come across the original Priority number fro the "bluescreen/blank screen" event that occured just before the installation of Norton 5.0 via one of your techs. The Priority number for that is : XXXXXXX. I believe the tech I talked with's name was xxxxx. And this was done/reported, on the phone.  I haven't got the last name it seems. But it definitely is this number for the preceding serious problem until Norton 360 5.0 was installed.

And yes, it was done by a Norton tech. I was not asked, nor told until AFTER it had been done. The Upgrade to 5.0, I mean.

Don't know if this will help, but it is definite.

NancyLynn

<<Edit: Removed the priority id and support techs name per the participation guidelines>>

Kudos0

Thanks for the additional information.

I had not realized that "your tech" was part of an on line support session. I've never used that with Norton but I'm surprised they did not say something about updating your installation or removing the one you have and installing "the latest" ....

I'm not actively using N 360 myself although I have it installed on my test bed for Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and it certainly did not do anything to any anything installed and certainly not to IE8 ......

I'm not saying this to say you are wrong! Just that it is not inherent.

Since you have been treated by Customer Support I'll try and get someone from Norton Staff to help out -- you'll know them since their names are in red. Incidentally the identity information you included was deleted from pubvlic view as part of Forum Policy but can still be seen by Norton support staff who are the only people who can use that information anyway ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Sorry, I didn't understand what is happening ith this pronlem? From what I understood is that Norton Technical support accessed your PC remotely, and installed Norton 360 V5, after than your PC had a blue screen of "death", that your system crashed? What have they done to correct the problem? Ia  also intending to call Norton support, so they can install v5. If this is the case, then I don't know what to do.

Kudos0

Aslo a question, did you have enough space on Hard drive to get Norton installed, because it is over 100mb file? What about youtr RAM?

Kudos0

No, what happened was that I first had the "blue screen" incident. I talked to a tech here at Norton who said he could fix it, and I thought he did. After that I was informed AFTER that a Norton tech had already installed Norton 5.0, that I had it, and that it was up and running.

It was after THAT, that I started having multiple problems, in various areas.

My computer is a Gateway NV73AO3u, with a AMD Athlon IIx2 processor P320, with 4 GB of memory, 320 GB of Harddrive w 17.3" 16:9 HiDefinition + LED LCD Screen. It is also less than six months old. It has Windows7 Home Premium w Internet Explorer 8 as system set-up. It says I have plenty of room on my Harddrive for Norton 5.0. It is also a Laptop. ( Meant to be a replacement for a Desktop. It can hold up to 6 GB of memory, and 500 GB of Hard drive. I just haven't needed to put it all on yet. ) But priorly, it has been woking fine.

NancyLynn

Kudos0

Nancy,

I've raised this direct with Norton Staff who work in these forums and they are checking with the support team to find out what happened so please be patient on this for a while, especially since it's the weekend now. Norton does work 24/7 but individuals do have families they like to see from time to time <s>

Keep an eye on the  Private message icon up top right on your screen and if it turns yellow check it for incomings since they are likely to contact you that way when individual staff members are involved.

I'm sorry that this has had such an adverse effect on so many aspects of your computer -- it really is rare which makes it all the more difficult to pin down but you do have a team working on it. If you  can, please don't do any more to try to rectify it in case Norton need to ask for some data logs to help them see what may have malfunctioned.

Hugh
Kudos0

What was the reason for a Blue screen? Did you try to install Norton yourself and then you called to norton support? Did Norton 360 did somethig to your PC after instalation?

Kudos0

Norton 360 V5 causes so manuy problems that I wish that thy could have tasted it some more, and release a patch, or stayed with V4.

Kudos0

O.K.  I won't do anymore until after I hear back from  you. Promise. Will it be safe for me to run Norton 5.0 during this wait time, or not? I would appreciate an answet back as soon as possible, as I usually run a full comprehensive scan once per day.

If it may cause problems, then please let me know. I don't feel real comfortable without the protection working on it, as I do need to get on it occasional over the weekend for work matters,if at all possible. I need to do some printing off the computer with my 4-in-one.

NancyLynn

Kudos0

Nancy,

I hadn't realized that you had no protection running -- I thought that V5 was running but had messed up your IE8 and printer ...

You certainly should not be going out on the internet without a working security program. I really don't know what to suggest as the best short term solution for you.

Let's leave it overnight at least .....

Hugh
Kudos0

The only thing I can sugest  is to contact that Norton on Monday , CALL them and demand supervisor 1800-745-6061.

You can also chat online, However, if you don't have antivirus program that is not advisable.  Does your PC working at all? The only thing I can  also suuggest you , if you are unable to solve the problem,but your PC is working, install for free antivirus system like AVG or AVIRA, so you will have some type of a system protection.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

or Avira

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=avirafree&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

Them disable Norton - start- run m type msconfig-ckick on services and unchck Norton 360.

If your PC isn't working, can you go to alternate PC , at the library or ask your friend to download on a flashdrive those two free Antivirus programs?

Kudos0

Download those 2 antivirus softwares, and if you can idisable Norton and install either AVG or Avira. Perhaps, Norton will be able to sort out the mess Norton 360 did to your PC, if so, then you can uninstall AVG or AVira, ask them to uninstall them for you.

Kudos0

bobcat,

<< The only thing I can sugest  is to contact that Norton on Monday , CALL them and demand supervisor 1800-745-6061.  >>

That is not helpful when Nancy has already been told that the Norton Staff are aware of the situation and are dealing with it.

Hugh
Kudos0

and how are they dealing with it? How long will it take until they contact her?  Meanwhile, she has no access to another PC, as I understand, and she cannot use it because there's no antivirus system working, or as I understood, PC is totally messed up.

Now, I am beginning to get verty hyper about v5, it seems as this new upgrade has a cascade of problems for even a new PC, including a system crash.

Kudos0

Nancy is aware of what is going on so since it is not your problem I'll leave it at that.

Hugh
Kudos0

Moved to its own thread.

Replies are locked for this thread.