• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Problems Encountered after Norton Internet Security 2011 Installed

After I installed Norton Internet Security 2011 installed, I face the following problems:

1. File copyings from drive to drive hangs, especially a few files selected en-bloc for transfer;
  2. Working on Window Explorer sometimes hang;
  3. Downloading of sizabel file like video file from internet hangs before it is done;
  4. Sometimes screen appears "Preparing to stand-by" downloading has finished.  I could not return back to the working page and I have to force close and restart the computer.

My computer is running on Microsoft XP with 3G RAM.

I have a Western Digital external HDD software WDSMARTWARE installed in my computer which seems sometimes register high CPU usage.  Though I used Task Manager to end the running process, the problems seem unresolved.

Can someone help me, please

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problems Encountered after Norton Internet Security 2011 Installed

Not positive I can help but I have a few suggestions

Have you reviewed all of the settings for your Norton installation?

Have you had any problems whit Norton which might indicate that it didn't install completely/properly?

What is the setting on your system for the sleep/hibernate mode?

I'm sure that others will chime in with further suggestions

So let us know what you find and we'll keep trying

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Did you fully remove any previos security from your pc? Are you running any other live updated security or f walls?

You only should run one firewall and one security unless one is manually updated and ran seperate.

To fully remove previous security you need to look up removal tools for each product, run them after using standard remove with restarts in between.

Is your msconfig start up menu a light one?  untick anything you dont need on start up, you can run it by openign it as needed.

have you scanned for malware?

In ie or other if you have any tool bars other then norton disable and uninstall them.

You can turn norton on silent mode to give yourself more cpu when performing cpu eating tasks.

Good luck.

Kudos1

I'm not entirely sure what WDSMARTWARE actually does but from this thread on the WD Community it sounds as though it does use a lot of resources and in addition it may overlap with functions that are in Norton Internet Security, like Identity Safe.

WDSmartWar​e.exe is taking too much resources CPU and RAM 

Perhaps some of the more knowledgable here could check this out -- also there may be updates for it on the WD website.

This might help -- My Passport Essential User Manual 

Hugh
Kudos0

Kudos0

atfreak,

No harm in duplication but your URL is the URL behind my link .... >>> same place! Thanks to Google ....

If you have the status bar open on your browser, hold the mouse pointer over the Link text and you'll see the URL in the status bar - always a useful security check ....

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.