• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Cursor moving on it's own

Hi,

My computer was left ON overnight…  with permanent connection to Internet.

First thing I see in the morning that the screen saver has been deactivated and the mouse cursor is moving around on its own.

Immediately disconnect from my DSL  Internet  connection.

NIS running and up to date. All scans show NO problems. Run system scan = Nothing found.

Cntrl+Alt+Del == No obvious, suspicious services running, at first glance.

Does anybody think, my PC was being hacked, or anything alike??

Can someone connect, inspect or remote control my PC, bypassing NIS ??

It’s dazzling me and very worrying as I have bank and other sensitive data in a file inside my system.

Many thanks, for any help or comments.

Tony

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cursor moving on it's own

I'm no computer expert, however, it sounds as though your computer may have been compromised.  For future reference, don't leave your computer on each night.  If you do, or even when turning off, make sure you set your Norton Firewall to block all network access until system restart. 

Kudos0

There are several programs that allow remote access to a computer, even Windows itself. But with all these programs, the system's admin must approve it. So if you didn't approve anything like that, it's time to start looking through things. If someone installed a viewer program, they'd have had to allow itto bypass Norton, too.

First, I'd change all your passwords. It's always fun to do that...

Also, check to see if there are any programs installed that you don't recognize.

You might want to password protect that file you're talking about, too.

It could be something as simple as a glitch with the mouse. But to be on the safe side, I'd start with the options above.

Kudos0

Chris101 wrote:

I'm no computer expert, however, it sounds as though your computer may have been compromised.  For future reference, don't leave your computer on each night.  If you do, or even when turning off, make sure you set your Norton Firewall to block all network access until system restart. 

I don't agree this 100%. It's not a security risk to leave a system on overnight, even with a web browser open (so long as you trust anyone else with physical access to the machine). I leave my machines on at all times, even overnight, and I've never been comprised. But I also have a variety of strong passwords and, obviously, Norton.

Kudos1

Hi,

Was the mouse moving around in any sort of coherent fasion? That is, did it look as if it was someone USING the pc?

examples of coherency would be:

Mouse moving towards specific folder(s)

Clicking on specific folders

Accessing the start menu/run/my documents etc.

I have seen plenty of mouse glitches before, where the cursor simply moves across the screen in a single direction, generally in a straight line (vertically, horizontally or diagonally). I'm not sure what causes them, although it probably has something to do with uneven surfaces and small inaccuracies in the mouse itself (don't want to go into detail now)

Anyway, just keep your eyes open for anything on your pc that seems overly strange. I would say it's probably a mouse glitch/defect, but don't take my word for it :)

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."- Mark Twain
Kudos1

There are all sorts of simple explanations for this.  Is it a wireless mouse?  If so do you get the same behavior when using a wired mouse?  If wireless, are the batteries fresh?  Google is your friend.

Kudos2

Only a very stupid hacker would let you see the cursor moving around.

Kudos0

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.

Tony, a couple serious questions.

What happened when you disconnected the internet, did the cursor stop or keep moving?

Does anyone that you don't completly trust have physical access to your system?

Please look under Settings > Signatures to exclude from all detections

Is anything listed there?

Also turn off remote desktop, you didn't say what version of windows your running but look under Control panel > System.

Dave

Kudos0

Thank you all for your comments.

I now tend to think that it must have being somme sort of issue with the mouse... It did not moved on to executing any app, open any folder... just moved like if it was browsing around the left bottom area of the screen.

Like someone said: it would need to be a very stupid hacker to let me see haow he moves the cursor !!

I've done somplete system scans with NIS and Spyware and nothing was found. 

I have another two laptops sharing the same Internet connection with not strange issues.

Someone, somewhere in Google says he experiencied sommething like it due to bright sunlight !!!

i lve in a 300 year old, self contain house in Spain... Lots of sunshine !! and, by the way, lots of ghosting tales !!!

I've protected the folder with the bank details anyway and cheked that my still has the same 25 EUR balance.

Jokes apart, I was worried and I'm still wondering. Very strange.

Kudos0

I'm leaning toward a glitchy mouse.

Protecting the folder with the sensitive info was your best bet. You shouldn't have much to worry about now, but keep an eye on things for any suspicious behavior. Again, leaving a computer on overnight does not expose your system to any more threats than wearing a different pair of shoes would.

Take care.

Kudos0

However, given the 300 year old house, you might have a ghost trying to play solitaire.

Kudos0

Well I've been messing with virus scanning, safe mode startup... with network disabled.

Even disabled the VMWare virtual Network , a program that I sometimes use for testing audio apps.

Everuthing seems OK now.

By the way, since a lot of people seem to recomend Spyware Searxh & Destroy... Will it interfere with NIS if I leave it active ??

Many thanks again. Great bunch of people here!!

Kudos0

You imply it is a laptop -- "two other laptops" -- if so I'd put it down to the detestable touchpad syndrome ....

If it is, and since you refer to a mouse, have you disabled the touchpad or at least set it to be Disable if a mouse is plugged in? There should be a control for that in Control Panel / Mouse.

Even if it is on Disable if mouse plugged in I'm not sure how reliable that is nor whether it detects a wireless mouse if one of those is plugged in.

It would do no harm to reinstall/update and drivers/software for the mouse/touchpad .....

Hugh
Kudos0

w/r/t Spybot and Norton: I tried running them together and Spybot wouldn't work. Others have said that they work perfectly fine together. And other yet have had the same experience I've had. Maybe google compatibility issues between the programs and see what comes up.

Kudos0

I know it sounds like a bad joke but it wouldn't be the first time, strange things seem to happen round here.

It must be a good soul, it does no harm whatsoever, just likes to play around...

Is there an Norton product for that ??

Norton Ghost ??

Kudos0

No touch pad. Desktop PC with PS2 optical mouse that NEVER has moved on its own. At least, I haven't seen it moving.

Kudos0

Just finish setting up SearchBot&Destroy with NIS running.

Result: Error SB&D must close  "Runtime error 216 at 005049EE"

I will disable Nework and NIS, and run SB&D on its own... If I can!!

Kudos1

I had this problem in my Laptop where the cursor jumps back. I had to update the Touchpad driver to solve it. I think you can give a try updating the drivers for mouse and keyboard and see whether that makes any difference

CyberLife :)
Kudos0

I'd still try updating / reinstalling the driver/software for the mouse and I'd also check the video driver for updates from the video card maker rather than Windows Update.

I run into numerous examples of a video driver problem causing totally unexpected symptoms elsewhere.

Hugh
Kudos0

The 2 laptops (my son's use them) have not supicious siggn at all.

Both share my DSL connection and have the same NIS installed.

The cursor went "bananas" only in the PC. I.ve chexked the mouse settings. Nothing "strange" found.

Now I've managed to run both (after an install error) NIS and Spybot Search & Destroy.

This program is going crazy, it says over 179000 "processes blacklisted" and found over 283000 "known ratings available" I'm not sure what it means but, it seems wild.

I'll leave it on overnight and see if I've still have a computer by tomorrow morning.

Kudos0

latinmidi57 wrote:

This program is going crazy, it says over 179000 "processes blacklisted" and found over 283000 "known ratings available" I'm not sure what it means but, it seems wild.

You need to disable TeaTimer, which runs in real time and checks for registry changes.  This interferes with Norton.  Click Mode > Advanced Mode, select Tools > Resident and turn off Resident "TeaTimer." 

Kudos0

<< The cursor went "bananas" only in the PC. I.ve chexked the mouse settings. Nothing "strange" found. >>

I'm only concerned about that PC -- have you updated the mouse software and the video driver? You keep on avoiding a direct answer to points when people are trying to help you. That is not productive.

And I am totally against you having installed Search and Destroy which is only adding to your confusion.

Keep It Simple S ..... is an important technique.

Hugh
Kudos0

Sorry about my ignorancy and not posting the right answers. My mistake. And yes, you're VERY helpfull.

Yes, I have updated and checked the mouse driver.

I only installed Search & Destroy to see if there was a different result as NIS. Many people seem to do this since, they advice that many spyware, malware, etc. can bypass NIS. There doesn't seem to be any obvious conflicts -so far- the computer works perfectly and there were a lot of tracking cookies from all sort of sites that were nwvwer detected by NIS. However, I'll follow your advice and unisnstall it.

There's quite a  few opinions from different sources and, many of them contradict each other. I certainly have more trust in the opinions and recomendations I got from all you people. You use the same software, have experience and expertise with it.

Again, thanks for your help and sorry if I deviated from the issue. I'm still learning to move around this fields.

Kudos0

Just out of interest...

What surface is the mouse on? and was any music playing (fairly loudly) at the time? is the pc on a desk? same desk as the mouse, if it is on one? errmmm... any other electronic devices nearby, on the same surface, that may vibrate or anything like that? Was the cd-rom spinning at the time?

All of these things can affect the mouse. Depending on the surface, even small vibrations may cause the mouse to think that it's moving, especially if the mouse is very sensitive.

And yea, it makes sense that really bright light would affect it too, but that also depends on the frequency of light that the mouse uses to track its position.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly how an optical mouse works, I just have the basic idea. Regardless, I really don't think you have anything to worry about :) I'm sure that it was just some variable interacting with the mouse, or a defect :)

Matt

&quot;The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot.&quot;- Mark Twain
Kudos0

No problem ...

I understand why you are trying S&D but since it can interfere with other security software I'd remove it completely; make sure your Norton is uptodate and functioning correctly and that you are using sensible user precautions not to invite malware in; and then have a copy of the free Malwarebytes installed so that you can update it and run it from time to time or if you are worried about something. If you do this make absolutely certain you get the free version and not the paid for Pro version since the latter is continually active and so also interferes with other security programs. The free version only runs when you command it to. Always run the Update for Malwarebytes after you start it since they update definitions very very frequently.

Norton is continually strengthen its protective techniques but the malware people change so quickly that no-one can ever be 100% effective.

A program like Malwarebytes can be helpful because it is always more easy to look for something that it knows exists somewhere in the world than it is to stop everything that can be using techniques that no-one has thought of before, or that disguise a known technique until after it is on your computer by your accidental invitation .....

Hugh
Kudos0

I have being trying to "review" all posible things such as an uneven surface, something stuck underneath... Can't work out anything at all. As you say, there could be quite a few causes. I was only worried that someone was "inside" my system in a malicious way.

After all this posts, it looks as though that wasn't the case and since everything seem to be in order I'm not so worried now. I still kind of wonder but, could be just anything silly and simple.

Thanks

Kudos0

Simple!

Unplug the mouse or disable it in the Device Manager.

If it still moves you have some sort of malware/virus.

If it does not move it's the mouse.

Hope this helps.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security v.21.x
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Thank you

As soon as I took control of the mouse, it stopped misbehaving. I allso disabled Network and did a system scan. After rebooting, everything seemed OK.

It's been a couple of days now and it hasn't done anymore suspicious behaviour. So I guess, this is solved. might have been something silly and unharmfull. It was just quite wrorrying at the moment it happened.

Replies are locked for this thread.