Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Ipod not recognized with Norton Security Suite
My PC no longer recognizes my Ipod after installing Norton Security Suite (the free NSS from Comcast). Windows beeps as expected when I plug the Ipod in, and an entry for 'Apple Mobile Device USB Driver' appears in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of Window Device Manager. However, Itunes just hangs for several minutes (sometimes with/without the little blue revolving wheel), then frees up but with no Ipod in the Devices list. (Meanwhile, Task Manager shows <1% CPU usage.) There is no sign of the Ipod in Windows Device Manager.
This is an Ipod Touch 3rd Generation; the PC is an HP Pavilion Elite running Windows 7 64-bit (with all current updates).
If I turn off NSS Smart Firewall (or completely uninstall NSS), everything works OK. It also works fine on an older XP PC running a slightly older version of NSS, with the firewall on.
The music files are on a NAS drive, but that doesn't seem related because Itunes can reach them as usual; it's only the Ipod that isn't seen.
Steps I have already tried with no luck:
- remove and reinstall all Apple software (Itunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Application Support, Quicktime)
- verify that Itunes and Ipod both have current software versions
- do full factory reset on the Ipod
- set Itunes, Bonjour (mDNSResponder), and Apple Mobile Device Service to 'Allow' in NSS Frewall Program Rules
- stop then start Apple Mobile Device service using Administrative Tools
- turn Autoplay off and on
Any suggestions would be appreciated.