• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NAV message at Windows shutdown

Using Win XP SP3.  Since installing  liveupdate of NAV11 18.6.0.29 I have seen a new phenomenon occur occasionally when I end a session and shut down my computer.    As Windows is shutting down, a popup occurs like Windows is ending a process and there is a slight delay in shutdown.   It's only a handful of seconds (perhaps 3-5 seconds),. and then Windows finishes shutting down.  It's not the same message box that Windows use when it asks you if you want to manually end a task and shutdown.  In fact, the message box hasn't persisted long enough for me to write down the complete name of the process, but it's something like

sym_avpapp_window_name

That's probably not exactly correct, and may even be longer.   It appears in the title bar of the little message window.   I'm trying to pay attention quickly when it happens so that I can write down the whole name correctly, but it's kind of an unusual name with underscores, and it's very intermittent.   I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this occasional pop up message as Windows XP shuts down, and if there's any significance to it.  Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV message at Windows shutdown

Using Win XP SP3.  Since installing  liveupdate of NAV11 18.6.0.29 I have seen a new phenomenon occur occasionally when I end a session and shut down my computer.    As Windows is shutting down, a popup occurs like Windows is ending a process and there is a slight delay in shutdown.   It's only a handful of seconds (perhaps 3-5 seconds),. and then Windows finishes shutting down.  It's not the same message box that Windows use when it asks you if you want to manually end a task and shutdown.  In fact, the message box hasn't persisted long enough for me to write down the complete name of the process, but it's something like

sym_avpapp_window_name

That's probably not exactly correct, and may even be longer.   It appears in the title bar of the little message window.   I'm trying to pay attention quickly when it happens so that I can write down the whole name correctly, but it's kind of an unusual name with underscores, and it's very intermittent.   I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this occasional pop up message as Windows XP shuts down, and if there's any significance to it.  Thanks!

Kudos0

Hi Huylym.

Avpapp has been mentioned recently in another thread.  Although your exact situation seems somewhat different, perhaps it is related:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2011-18-6-0-29-Daily-Norton-Error-Telemetry/td-p/452898

Kudos0

Hi, SendOfJive:

Thanks for the link.  Yes, although my quesion concerns avpapp in some fashion, it is not exactly the same.  I'm not getting any errors at all in the Norton Error Reporting of security history.    Perhaps the little dialog box I see at Windows XP shutdown is just some kind of delay in closing the process.    It doesn't mention avpapp.dll by name, but rather that long title with underscores, something like

"sym_avpapp_window_name" or similar.  I'm still watching, but it has not occurred again since I posted.    It's intermittent.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Huylym

I'm running W& and from time to time I get aw black screen that tells me that one or more of the programs/utilities/whatever that I was running or caused to run before trying to shut down has not finished processing/closed. It gives me the option to allow it to complete its task or to force shut down with the possible loss of data. Depending on the app and the hour I usually give it some time to conclude on its own. If I'm rushed I'll force shutdown and deal with the consequences later. So far, none of the have been serious. Do be careful what you force to shut down, it might break something

Hope this helps

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU

Replies are locked for this thread.