• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error 8504,100

NIS 2011 + Windows XP SP3

Starting today I am getting this error code on startup - 8504,100.

Apparently it has to do with intrusion prevention - because intrution prevention switch is turned off.

One click support recommends first restarting computer. That did not work. Upon one of restarts  I also got an error message 3043,1.

After that it recommends to uninstall NIS using NRT and re-install it.

I also have Norton Systemworks Basic Edition 12.0

I have 2 questions:

1. Where can I download files for NIS 2011 and NSW BE 12.0 to re-install them.

2. Would it help to first try using system restore by going back  a day or two when NIS worked.

Any other suggestions, as to the procedure, order of removal, re-install, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 8504,100

Since you have two Norton products, I think you can uninstall NIS 2011 via Add or Remove programs. No need to use Norton Removal Tool. After you remove NIS 2011, redownload the product from:

http://www.norton.com/nis11

Make sure that you do not have any other security products installed.

CyberLife :)
Kudos0

Thank you CyberLife.

I actually found installation files for Norton Systemworks on my computer, leftover from the  initial installation.

I am considering whether to do it your way , which is simpler, or to use NRT.

Alex.

Kudos0

Alexander wrote:

Thank you CyberLife.

I actually found installation files for Norton Systemworks on my computer, leftover from the  initial installation.

I am considering whether to do it your way , which is simpler, or to use NRT.

Alex.

Please bear in mind that Norton SystemWorks is a discontinued product and consider how much of it you actually need and whether you can get those functions in something that will continue to be supported and updated ......

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Looks like I got this problem fixed, but it was a bit of a roller coaster.

I'll explain what happened in case someone else runs into the same problem.

I uninstalled NIS via Add/Remove Programs and reinstalled it. After that I restarted the computer as prompted.
Everything looked fine and NIS worked as it should.
I ran LiveUpdate and after that - Full system Scan.
However, I noticed that I was no longer able to use Add/Remove programs.
The window would open and I could hear the HD working but it could not populate the list.
I decided to restart the computer one more time.
After that restart I was able to populate the list in Add/Remove programs, but the original problem in NIS returned. Indicating that there is a problem with Intrusion prevention.  Error message 3043,1.

After that I used NRT and re-installed both programs I had before. First  NIS then NSW.
So far it seems to have done the trick.
I will keep this thread open for a few days and if there are no surprises will mark it as solved.

Thanks for the response Hugh.

I decided to keep Norton SystemWorks, at least for now. I am used to it, but will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

Alex.

P.S.
Please be advised that Norton Removal Tool took quite a long time to uninstall everything. At one point I thought that it was stuck, but eventually it finished the job. So if it happens to you - be patient.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback -- let's hope that fixed it for you.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.