• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 2006 not updating correctly - losing the updates

We have a PC with Norton 2006 on it (older production machine), with a current subscription. It will download updates and install them, then show the correct virus defs. Some time later, anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, it will pop up and say the virus defs are out of date, with a date of 2009. Running live update starts it all over again. I've reinstalled liveupdate as an update, that didnt work, i've just finished uninstalling/reinstalling liveupdate to remove all the old update files and logs (about 800mb worth) and re-ran it after replacing the product inventory file. It picked up the update and downloaded but failed, when retrying it, it picked up a 123mb virus def file and began the download/install and is still going. Any ideas for this? I ran malwarebytes and got 2 registry entries for security center and removed/rebooted, but that didnt seem to work.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 2006 not updating correctly - losing the updates

We have a PC with Norton 2006 on it (older production machine), with a current subscription. It will download updates and install them, then show the correct virus defs. Some time later, anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, it will pop up and say the virus defs are out of date, with a date of 2009. Running live update starts it all over again. I've reinstalled liveupdate as an update, that didnt work, i've just finished uninstalling/reinstalling liveupdate to remove all the old update files and logs (about 800mb worth) and re-ran it after replacing the product inventory file. It picked up the update and downloaded but failed, when retrying it, it picked up a 123mb virus def file and began the download/install and is still going. Any ideas for this? I ran malwarebytes and got 2 registry entries for security center and removed/rebooted, but that didnt seem to work.

Kudos0

Please make sure that your system date and time is correct. If you have a valid subscription for your Norton product, you can update to the 2011 version at free of cost.

CyberLife :)
Kudos0

Hello gwenewman1

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Part of the problem might be that you are running an old program. What operating system and service pack are you using please? Also is it 32 or 64 bit please.  If you tell us which Norton product you are using, we can provide you the minimun requirements to run a Norton 2011 product. We can also provide instructions on how to upgrade to a newer version of your Norton product. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

32 bit XP - should be service back 2 or 3, i'm not sitting in front of it. Subscription is up to date with 146 days remaining.

Kudos0

gwnewman1 wrote:

32 bit XP - should be service back 2 or 3, i'm not sitting in front of it. Subscription is up to date with 146 days remaining.

Hello gwnewman1

When you are sitting in front of your computer, would you please give us the rest of the information requested so we can further help you.  You should get sp 3 if you don't have it yet as sp 2 alone isn't supported any longer by Microsoft. If we know which product, I can give you the minimum requirements needed for an update for free. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Got it...SP3 using Norton Antivirus 2006.

Replies are locked for this thread.