• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Utilities and error 3039,65549

Hi, it's my first time to write on the forum, so sorry if I make some mistake.

I bought and installed Norton Internet Security 2011 and Norton Utilities to change with my old (but I never had any problem with it) Norton System Works 2005 because there are no longer updates available for this product.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2.

After installed NU I made the first defrag but, at the end, I had an incredible number of error messages from Windows, (my Windows language is French, so I try to translate) such "The differed writing had failed".

After that, I've received a new message from NIS 2011 that announced that error 3039,65549 had occurred.

So I was obliged to install again all products after a very difficult uninstall, because the Removal tool doesn't want to work and so I was obliged to remove everything by hand.

Symantec Support Service told me (by phone and after by chat) that the problem was from Windows or from some disk problem, but they said that it was normal I doesn't had problems with System Works as it was an old product (???)

What it means ?

Now I'm scare to execute again NU defragmenter but, up today, I didn't find any other help that could solve this issue.

Please somebody can help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Gourghy

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Utilities and error 3039,65549

Hi,

first you should try to remove the programs with the Norton Removal Tool. It is a really common issue to have remaining files and registry settings from the old versions that can interfere with the new ones.

Here are the steps:
1. If you use the feature, please backup your Identity Safe data
2. Download latest Norton Internet Security installer: www.norton.com/nis11 (this is the English one, for other languages please go to the Norton Update Center: www.norton.com/nuc )
3. Download Norton Removal Tool: www.norton.com/nrt

4. Download latest Norton Utilities setup file: if you have NU version 14, please download this or if you have version 15 than this

5. Disconnect from internet
6. Remove Norton Internet Security and Norton Utilities from Start Menu or from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs
7. Reboot
8. Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot (repeat it 2-3 times)
9. Install Norton Internet Security 2011, and activate it with your old serial
10. Run Live Update until you get no new updates
11. Restore your Identity Safe data

12. Install Norton Utilities

You can check how the Norton Removal Tool works in this video.

Let us know the results.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.5.0.19
Kudos0

Hi,

thanks for your intervention.

When I first uninstall my version of System Works, I have followed exactly the proceeding you describe.

After "the issue" I was obliged to clean by hand in the registry any occurrence with Symantec because the Removal Tool doesn’t want to work (after many attempts), but after I applied the RT to completely clean the disk, before I install again Internet Security (2011) and Norton Utilities (release 15).

The computer I used is a Vaio VGN-SZ5XWN/C with 2 Go DDR2 SDRAM and a 160 GO hard disk, under XP SP3 and completely updated, so I don't want to think that it could exist some incompatibility, as customer Support, by phone, want to tell me.

After the new installation of NU I didn't try more to use "Defrag" because I don't want to reinstall again and take the risk to lose some other program until I don't understand why the first time Defrag had brought this error 3039, 65549 and cleaned files while defragmenting (cache of the disk).

Therefore, I will be happy to understand what has happened and if there is any system to avoid a new crash.

Up to-day, I didn't use more Defrag and I defrag my disk with Microsoft tool.

Thanks again.

Gourghy

Kudos0

Did you had on the same Windows XP installation SystemWorks 2005 as well? I mean since than you did not reinstalled Windows?

Kudos0

Thanks.

No I didn't reinstall Windows, just I change from Norton System Works 2005 to Norton Internet Securiry 2011 and to Norton Utilities.

Kudos0

Please try this:

1. Click on Start Menu -> Run

2. Write cmd in, hit enter

3. in the new window write chkdsk /f c: in

4. It will ask you to reboot, do the reboot

5. During bootup you will see a blue screen when checkdisk will scan your drive, let it finish

During scan please watch the screen if there's any error.

Let us know the results.

Kudos0

Hi,

sorry for the delay but I was scare to try again Speed Disk.

Check disk didn't give any error on the disk, so I tried again Speed Disk (Norton utilities) but this time under a Norton GoBack try session.

Before the optimisation, NU gave a message (it made it also the first time, but I didn't pay enough attention to the message) that was about like this: "The disk is a SDD/Flash disk and it's not recommended to optimise this type of disk".

Now, unless Sony made me a gift unknown to me, my Vaio disk is a normal hard disk, of which I don’t know the model (the BIOS is a Phoenix Trusted Core and nothing is told about hard disk, than that it is a 160 GB) but I don't think it could be an SDD disk.

So I continue to ignore the reasons of the problem I had and I continue to avoid using Speed Disk.

I know that I could use another product (as Defragler) but really I would like to understand, remembering that Symantec Technical Service couldn’t give me any positive answer (without any polemic intention).

Always thanks.

Gourghy

Kudos0

Do you have a special driver for the HDD from the manufacturer, or did Windows installed just the standard HDD driver?

It can be a driver conflict with NU that it is detecting the drive as an SSD.

Kudos0

Hi,

I think the drivers are not especially for the Vaio but the standard Windows drivers.

The drivers listed for the HHD are the following:

- Disk.sys (Microsoft);

- PartMgr.sys (Microsoft).

And:

- GoBack2k (Symantec);

- Snapman.sys (Acronis).

Thanks

Gourghy

Kudos0

Can you please tell us the exact name (incl. manufacturer) of your HDD?

Thanks!

Kudos0

Hi,

it's very difficult to physically see the hdd on a Vaio. In theory I know how to do (I found the proceeding on the net) but I don't know if I will try, unless really obliged (disk changing).

So I sow on Sony site and, for the Vaio VGS-SZ5XWN/C they say HDD is an S-ATA de 2,5" et 160 GB Western Digital.

I made a disk analysis with Crystal Disk Info and the program give a message of "Prudence" over 100 instable sectors.

It gave me also the disk parameters that are:

- Firmware: 3.alb;

- Type (?): ST 916 08 21AS;

- Hours of life: 2929;

- Disk temperature: 40 °C.

I made again a check disk but it didn't report any problem.

What it's to believe? CHKDSK or Crystal Disk Info?

Maybe it's only a physical problem of the HDD and I'm psychologically preparing myself to change the disk, making a clone of the old disk with True Image or Ghost.

But why with the old System Works (2005) I never had this kind of issue ?

Thanks once again.

Gourghy

Kudos0

I just saw you have XP SP2. Can you install the latest updates to the machine incl. SP3 as well?

Kudos0

Sorry, sorry,

my XP is on SP3 with all the latest updates, made few time ago (and before the issue arrives).

Gourghy

Kudos0

What happens if you run Norton Utilities in Safe Mode? Do the same happens?

1. (Re)Start Windows

2. Before the Windows logo press F8 until you see a list

3. Select Safe Mode and hit enter

4. When Windows loaded into safe mode, run NU15

5. Reboot Windows, it will restsart to normal mode by default

Let us know the results.

Kudos0

Hi,

I've tried the safe mode but a NU message say NU cannot be run in this mode.

Thanks.

Gourghy

Kudos0

Then please try Clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

Kudos0

Hi,

I have a second laptop, an old Toshiba Satellite, but I normally use it for the web while I use the Vaio when I'm working outside my office.

The Toshiba had the same version of Norton System Works 2005, very close to the end of license and yesterday I've decided to try the NIS 2011 (and of course, NU 15 too) on the Toshiba.

So I made the normal uninstall-old-version-Install-new and, after the updates, the first think I did was to try Speed Disk.

I was astonished to have exactly the same message I had on Vaio and NU informed me that the disk is an SDD Hard Disk and was not advised to make a defrag.

Knowing already what will happens I didn't do it !!!!!!!

So I think now that the issue is not related only with the Vaio HD, but also with other type of HD (I would like to try with a desktop too).

The Toshiba has an HD 60 GB Toshiba MK6025GAS ATA-ATAPI 6 (as Disk Doctor says).

It's possible that NU has bugs with some HD type?

For Speed Disk only, because I've tried all the other features without any problem.

It's possible that nobody else on this forum, or elsewhere, had this same issue, or I'm especially lucky with my computers ?

Always thanks.

Gourghy

Kudos0

I think the problem here would be the 2005 Norton product...

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool on the other laptop before installing NIS2011 and NU15?

Kudos0

Yes, I run Norton Removal Tool before installing.

Kudos0

Look in the device manager under "Disk Drives"

What is your drive listed as?

Is it something like: WDC WD160xxxxxxx?

Dave

Kudos0

Dave -- The OP could run Speccy the free utility and learn a lot about the hard drives including model identifiers .....

FWIW

Hugh
Kudos0

I never used that but if it shows the hard drive details I'm sure it would work.

But it may not be an issue of what the actual hard drive is but what windows "thinks" it is.

The device manager will show the model number of what windows thinks it is.

Dave

Kudos0

It's a wonderful tool (as are the others that Piriform do -- do try it!

It's useful because it gives you the product ID so you can look up model details and firmware updates for say a hard drive without having to pull the drive out -- I keep on saying I'll photocopy the drive label but forget but I do do that with laptop bases!

Hugh
Kudos0

gourghy,

Your Sony is not a US model -- could you say what country you are in and so the country for the Sony and also for your Norton product just in case that matters.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi PapauZ, Dave and Hugh,

under device manager of Toshiba there is only the model of the HDD, Toshiba MK6025GAS.

Under Vaio device manager there are the Memory Stick Device, the SD1 Device and the HDD (ST9160821AS).

To resume the situation, on both the laptops I've used the recommended proceeding to replace old Norton System Works 2005 with the new NIS 2011 and NU 15.

Both the computers are on XP SP3 with all the updates, but Vaio is under XP Pro and Toshiba under XP Family.

They have two different HDD (Vaio is an S-ATA, Toshiba is an ATA-ATAPI 6), but they show the same issue with Speed Disk (NU 15) that recognises, on both computers, the HDD as SDD drives.

I run the freeware Crystal Disk Info (disk information) and I saw the informations given by Norton Disk Doctor (NU 15).

The previous version of Speed Disk (under Norton System Works 2005) always made its job without show any issue or data loss, as well as the Windows defrag tool and Defraggler.

From a statistical point of view, it's difficult to believe that both the computers (and both XP versions) have exactly the same Windows problem to recognise the HDD, without any changing in the systems parameters.

The only new factor is the installation of NU 15 on both the computers, so I think the problem could be more easily connected to something in NU functions that I cannot understand.

If one of these days I have the courage, I will tray NU 15 on my desktop Dell (without Internet connection !) to see if the HDD are recognised as they are or not.

It will be interesting.

I leave in a French speaking African country and my computers (all) come from France.

Thanks to all for help me to understand what's happening

and sorry if my answer seems too long, but I think it was necessary to clear well the issue.

Gourghy

Kudos0

Toshiba MK6025GAS is a 60GB ATA hard drive and the ST9160821AS is a Seagate 160GB SATA hard drive.

I actually have one of the seagate drives on a test system of mine and never had a problem using NU 15 and speed disk.

The common denominator seems to be System Works 2005 and or Goback.

Why do you have Goback installed?

Goback changes the partition table of the drive and makes it non-standard, that may be whats causing the problem and on one system you have Acronis installed so I would assume you don't need Goback.

I'm not really sure about the safe and correct way to remove Goback.

Dave

Kudos0

gourghy,

Bear in mind that Norton discontinued GoBack because of problems .......

You are in good hands with DaveH who knows the utilities so I'd definitely stick here with him but if you need help for example in updating or getting the French language versions of Norton there is a French language Forum at:

http://fr.community.norton.com/  

Bonne chance ......

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks Hugh but I'm at the end of my rope here.

I'm not very familar at all with goback and I'm not sure I could install it to see if it is causing the problem. 

However, I do think it must have something to do with system works 2005, goback, or some other common program between the 2 systems.

Dave

Kudos0

So far as GoBack and SystemWorks are concerned, if the user wants to continue to use two discontinued products and encounters problems I don't see that there's much we can do except suggest uninstalling them -- does NRT clean it up too?

SInce it may be causing similar problems as System Restore can, the next step would seem to be uninstall all Norton products (NIS & NU?), clean up and reinstall the Norton products?

Since there is a touch of translation involved maybe the French Norton Forums would be the best solution?

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi,

I read your message and it is true, the only common factor is the presence of Goback.

So I've uninstalled it, as well as other Norton products (with Norton Removal Tool).

After a new installation NU 15 recognize the HDD and Speed Disk works normally.

I'm sorry for Goback that I don't use to restore (eventually) the system but only for its function Safety Try Mode that I find irreplaceable.

So thanks a lot helping me to understand, also if, maybe, you will not be there to read this message (I know, my English is not exceptional, but I'm trying to improve !)

Gourghy

Kudos0

Thanks for letting us know you did sort it out.

<<  I'm sorry for Goback that I don't use to restore (eventually) the system but only for its function Safety Try Mode that I find irreplaceable. >>

I'm not sure what that Try Mode was but if it's like a quarantined area where you can try something out without it infecting something else I think the techies call thes Sandboxing and there is specific software for doing that. I don't know anything about the technique but I hear the name Sandboxie for one commercial application you can buy.

Whether it is in Norton's plans for the future I don't know.

No problems with your English! I wish I spoke as many languages as our users do!

Hugh
Kudos1

Hi Hugh,

to remove any doubt, I've made two tests more.

I've used Speed Disk on a external disk and NU have recognised as a normal HDD (no more as a SDD) and it made normally the defrag.

For the second (and last) test I've deactivated GoBack and in this case too NU have recognised the HDD in the normal way and Speed Disk made it's job well, without strange messages.

So I think the issue is definitely understood.

Two programs make almost the same of GoBack, Sandboxie (as you said) and Bufferzone.

But I did not try them.

So thanks again and maybe on another forum.

Gourghy

Kudos0

Thanks again for the testing and the feedback ......

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.