• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Installation Not Working

I'm trying to install Norton Internet Security 2011 and it won't let me get past the Product Key. I entered the Product Key that was on the yellow sticker insert from the package and the "Agree and Install" button will not activate. There is still a red "X" on the right hand side of the box where you enter the code. I've tried typing it in and double checking it several times and I'm not missing any characters because it will not allow me to type anything else in. Very frustrated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Installation Not Working

I'm trying to install Norton Internet Security 2011 and it won't let me get past the Product Key. I entered the Product Key that was on the yellow sticker insert from the package and the "Agree and Install" button will not activate. There is still a red "X" on the right hand side of the box where you enter the code. I've tried typing it in and double checking it several times and I'm not missing any characters because it will not allow me to type anything else in. Very frustrated.

Kudos0

cmgengo wrote:

Where did you get the installation package from? A store retail package ? 

<< yellow sticker insert from the package >> You aren't talking about the outside of the yellow box are you? On the retail copies I've seen the KEY is on a sticker on the envelope inside the box with the CD inside it.

I don't remember having to put the KEY in before Agree and Install; that comes up when starting to install and activate with the KEY does not happen until after you are installed because if you don't activate immediately it runs for a few days as a fully functional trial.

Was there any other security software installed on your PC before you started to install? What was it? If you removed it how did you remove it?

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Hugh,

I purchased it from Office Depot. The product key is from the yellow sticker on the package insert.  There is no option to run it as a trial. I had Avast Antivirus prior to this and uninstalled it by going through the Uninstall Programs menu on my computer.

As soon as I put the disk in, the welcome screen appears and I selected the Install option. It started installing and then a window popped up saying "Thank you for choosing Norton Internet Security 2011.  Enter your product key".  This is where I'm having problems.

I'm running on Windows Vista 32 bit.   I'm not sure what version it is - all that is on my yellow sticker is the product key and codes for the Norton Online Backup 25GB. There is no "Help" or "Support/About" in the windows that I'm getting. I've attached screen shots of what I get when I insert the disk and then select the "Install" option.

Kudos0

Can't see your images yet but will recheck later but from what you say:

OK -- one cause of refusal to install is traces of another security program and those dig so deep that the normal uninstall does not always remove them -- most makers have a cleanup tool on their website and here's the link for AVAST:

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe 

Note that that is a link to an executive file so you are likely to get a warning.

Here's what I would do:

Download that file and choose Save rather than Run from the avast site.

Save it where you can find it again.

Download by Save the Norton Removal Tool also

I would not trust an older copy of SymNRT to be able to remove all the latest patches to the software. Since Norton are updating their products all the time, the Norton Removal Tool is constantly updated.

This link: Symantec Norton Removal Tool. will direct you to the current Symantec Norton Removal Tool.

You can jump to the Download the Norton Removal Tool step under your version of Norton.

Disconnect from the internet

Run the Avast tool a couple of times with a reboot inbetween

Run the Norton Removal Tool a couple of times with a reboot inbetween

Plug the internet connection in again

Downlod a fresh copy of NIS 2011 (this will be more uptodate than the one on your CD) and save it as before

New NIS 2011:  Click on this link -- NIS 2011   This will download a single file of around 90MB which you should save on your hard drive where you can use it again if necessary -- Do not select Run but use Save when asked and remember where you put it!

Since you are running VISTA you can run the NIS installation file by Right Mouse Clicking on the file you downloaded and selecting Run as Administrtor which does it with elevated privileges and my avoid problems.

When it asks you for the KEY to activate create your MyNorotnAccount as directed (unless you have one already in which case log into it) and enter the KEY when asked.

That's a lot but it should give you a clean isntall of the current version although after installing (I hope) NIS run live update a few times with a reboot inbetween to get the latest updates.

Leet us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Hugh
Kudos0

How many characters or digits are there in your Product Key? It should a 25 digit/character Product Key. Please let us know the first letter of your Product Key.

CyberLife :)

Replies are locked for this thread.