• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

My computer will not keep the Enable Cookies setting

I don't know what happened, but apprx. 5 days ago Whenever I go to some of my sites that I have been going on for months,  whenever I go to log in, it tells me that I need to enable cookies, but I have my computer set to accept all cookies. This also happens everytime I go to my yahoo mail. It has never done this before. Is something in my Norton internet security causes my cookies not to be enabled? I am on IE 8 windows7 home I have Norton version 18.6.0.29   I tried doing a system restore a few days ago, but my Norton disappeared, I didn't know how to get it back so, I had to undo the system restore. I hope someone can please tell me how to make my computer enable the cookies.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: My computer will not keep the Enable Cookies setting

I don't know what happened, but apprx. 5 days ago Whenever I go to some of my sites that I have been going on for months,  whenever I go to log in, it tells me that I need to enable cookies, but I have my computer set to accept all cookies. This also happens everytime I go to my yahoo mail. It has never done this before. Is something in my Norton internet security causes my cookies not to be enabled? I am on IE 8 windows7 home I have Norton version 18.6.0.29   I tried doing a system restore a few days ago, but my Norton disappeared, I didn't know how to get it back so, I had to undo the system restore. I hope someone can please tell me how to make my computer enable the cookies.

Kudos0

What browser and add-ons are you using?  Do you use the Identity Safe component that saves your logins to sites?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I am using internet explorer 8 no add ons that i'm aware of. Where is this identity safe component that you are refering to?

Thanks

Kudos0

Yes, my identity safe is turned on in Norton

Kudos0

If Identity safe is enabled, it should be doing the logins rather than the cookies.  There should be a toolbar in IE8, top left hand side.  If you click on that, is there a dropdown that shows your common logins?  Have you been saving the loginsfor the sites that you frequent?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Do you mean the toolbar File, Edit, view, favorites, tools help? Which one has my common logins? I have all the sites that I normally go to daily, saved on my desktop, and always before, when the login box comes up, I just had to start with the first letter, and the user name and password automatically appeared. Now it doesn't do it automatcally, and when I type in my username and password, it comes up to tell me that I can't login until I enable my cookies. But, I have it set to accept all cookies.

Kudos0

Is there some other way of enabling cookies, other than internet options, then privacy, then accept all cookies.

Kudos0

If you have Identity Safe enabled, you should see the Word "NORTON" as well as a green circle for Norton Safe Web and a small icon with a padlock in it.  There is a small down arrow to the right of the NORTON that has your options.   Identity Safe is a password manager, so if you prefer to use the cookies to sign in, I would suggest turning off Identity Safe.

It has its advantages, though.  If you lost your hard drive, you will lose all of your sign-ins and will have to restore them one at a time.  If you choose to use Identity Safe, you can do a backup of logins, so if something happens, you can restore all of them at once.

Kudos0

Go to Tools>Internet options>content>auto-complete>settings and make sure that "usernames and passwords on forms" and "ask me before saving passwords" are both checked.

Turn off In Private filtering under tools:

"The InPrivate Browsing feature in Internet Explorer will prevent cookies from earlier browsing sessions being stored on your PC, and mean they are not vulnerable to cookiejacking even in the circumstances described"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Suggests-Using-Private-Browsing-Mode-Until-IE-Cookiejacking-Patch-203090.shtml

Kudos0

I don't have the Norton tool bar. But on the front page of my Norton where it says identity safe, it is set on gold, not red. Everyone of those settings on this page are all gold. Can you tell me another way to find my common logins.

Kudos0

Under content, address bar is checked, browsing history is checked,  favorites is checked,  use windows search for better results is checked, user names and passwords on forms is checked, ask me is checked. Forms is checked.

Feeds is unchecked.

Under my Privacy.... accept all cookies,  turn on pop up blocker is unchecked,....do not collect data for use by inprivate filtering is unchecked.    disable toolbars and extensions when inprivate browsing starts...is checked.

Is this correct? Or should the disable toolbar be unchecked?

Kudos0

Hi,

1 Open Internet Options in Internet Explorer

2 Select the Privacy tab;

3 Click on Advanced button;

4. In the Advanced Privacy Settings window that appears, click to select Override Automatic Cookie Handling;

5. Under First Party Cookies, select Allow;

6. Under Third Party Cookies, select Block;

7. Click on the OK button to close the dialog and to return to the Internet Options dialog.

8. Click on the OK button again to close the Internet Options dialog.

If this does not work then,

1. Open Internet Options in Internet Explorer

2. Select Advanced tab;

3. Click on Reset button to reset the Internet Explorer.

4. Press OK

5. Close Internet Explorer and re - open it.

Kudos0

I did all of this, but it just will not let me log in to certain sites, it's just crazy. Some of my normal login sites open just fine, some say that my cookies are not enabled. The settings on my computer say that  it is enabled. For example, I was trying to order a part for my toilet online, same company that I have ordered from before, I soon as I clicked on the add to cart, a box came up that told me that I will have enable my cookies before I can go the add to cart and make the purchase.

Also, today while trying to order this part, I noticed that beside of each website, there has always been a little green Norton, telling me if it is a safe site or not. My Norton is no longer there. How can I turn this feature back on? I do not want to open anything that is not safe.

Kudos0

Also, on my Norton settings, under "Web Settings"   Identity Safe is turned on. And Login Prompt is turned on.

Replies are locked for this thread.