• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Web pages slow to load in IE 9

I'm currently running Nortion Internet Security 2011 on two Vista 64bit computers. I am currently using IE 9 as my default browser, though I also use Chrome from time to time for specialized purposes. Ever since I started using IE 9 I've noted a marked increase in the amount of time that it takes a page to open for the first time in a session. The lag seems to be far greater using IE 9 than IE 8. I also have the impression that it takes longer for Norton 2011 to run its web page scans than it did with the 2010 version but I could be wrong about that. I've also noted that it takes a bit of time for Chrome pages to load as well but I don't have any way to compare it to how Chrome and Norton interacted beforehand since I only started to use Chrome in the past few weeks.

is this all my imagination or is there something real about it. And if it is real, is there any solution? The delays really get quite annoying.

Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Web pages slow to load in IE 9

I'm currently running Nortion Internet Security 2011 on two Vista 64bit computers. I am currently using IE 9 as my default browser, though I also use Chrome from time to time for specialized purposes. Ever since I started using IE 9 I've noted a marked increase in the amount of time that it takes a page to open for the first time in a session. The lag seems to be far greater using IE 9 than IE 8. I also have the impression that it takes longer for Norton 2011 to run its web page scans than it did with the 2010 version but I could be wrong about that. I've also noted that it takes a bit of time for Chrome pages to load as well but I don't have any way to compare it to how Chrome and Norton interacted beforehand since I only started to use Chrome in the past few weeks.

is this all my imagination or is there something real about it. And if it is real, is there any solution? The delays really get quite annoying.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi msaltz,

See this Microsoft article, which may pertain to your issue:

You experience slow performance in Internet Explorer 9

Kudos0

Thanks for your response.

I looked at the article as you suggested. Although there was no indication that the web pages were using software acceleration, I tried to update the video card driver. That was successful. The result is that some pages seem to load very quickly and others less so, one taking about 26 seconds to load. I'm not sure if the delay is due to the graphics on the page or to web traffic on the site. But I will try this on my other computer this weekend and then will have a better idea if this is doing the job. What I can also say is that the pages that seemed to load more quickly are loading almost instantaneously, which obviously pleases me.

Accepted Solution
Kudos2

Hello msaltz

You could also use compatibility mode for some of the slower pages. Perhaps those sites haven't been set up for IE 9 yet. You could also try clearing temp files and cookies and see if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them both.

Kudos0

Hi Folks...

I received a raftload of MS updates yesterday (122MB+) and it took forever to download over DSL.  When I arrived at work today, IE9 was a slug.  It would not even load facebook's front page.  I knew then I had been "updated".

So I went into Internet Options, Programs, Manage Add-Ons....

Toolbars and Extensions - Found nothing here.

Search Providers - Eliminated the Bing! search.

Accelerators - Eliminated LiveTranslation and One other Microsoft entry (if the frakking registration process had not taken so long, I could have told you its name).  I left the "E-mail with Windows Live" entry.

Problem solved.  IE9 is back at a brisk clip.

Aside: This smells like a "Camel's Nose Under The Tent" scenario.  LiveTranslation or one of the other recent "improvements" needs to relay info back to a central server (data collection) before a request can be processed and a web page displayed.  Eschew all such "innovations".  Thank you very much, uh huh.

Kudos0

I did as you suggested regarding deleting cookies, temp files, etc through the IE 9 Tools Internet Options menu as you suggested. It made a really big difference, so much so that I haven't bothered to try the compatabilitymode. The only add-on I've been using, by the way, is Roboform, which I'm sure adds some time initially but which I don't know how I would do without.

And, by the way, when my wife told me how sluggish her IE 8 was loading using an XP notebook, I made the same suggestion to her and she is now happy as well. So two for the price of one.

Thanks again for the help.

Kudos0

Hello msaltz

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update.  I'm glad your computer is working better now and your wife's computer also.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Replies are locked for this thread.