• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Windows popping up saying high memory usage by internet explorer & high cpu usage by VZAcesst.

Since I up graded norton I'm getting windows popping up saying High Memory Usage by Internet Explorer & Hugh CPU Usage by VZAcesst..  I have a gateway laptop & use Internet Explorer.  I use a Verizon broad band card and am allowed 5000 MB a month.  With these windows popping up I'm really eating up all my MB's real quick!  I'm new to computers & don't know much about them. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks  Andy

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows popping up saying high memory usage by internet explorer & high cpu usage by VZAcesst.

Since I up graded norton I'm getting windows popping up saying High Memory Usage by Internet Explorer & Hugh CPU Usage by VZAcesst..  I have a gateway laptop & use Internet Explorer.  I use a Verizon broad band card and am allowed 5000 MB a month.  With these windows popping up I'm really eating up all my MB's real quick!  I'm new to computers & don't know much about them. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks  Andy

Kudos0

Re: Windows popping up saying high memory usage by internet explorer & high cpu usage by VZAcesst.

CyberLife :)
Kudos0

Hi andrewtamaro,

The Norton system performance notifications are informational only - they do not indicate that there is a problem.  It is normal for some programs, especially browsers, to occasionally require more system resources in order to perform some demanding tasks.  Norton is just letting you know when this happens.  Only if a program continually demands a suspiciously large percentage of the system resources over time should you be concerned.  CPU and memory usage are not related to bandwidth usage.  If your Verizon application is using up your bandwidth unnecessarily, that would be a separate issue, for which Verizon might be able to provide some guidance.

Kudos0

Part of System Insight - It's called Performance monitoring. It's only in the 2011 and up lines, that's why you see it after upgrading. This message tends to inform you why is your computer slow. You can turn it off from the administrative settings.

Kudos0

andrewtamaro wrote:

Thanks  Andy

Andrew -- I think I see some mixup here!

The way I undestand it .....

The High Memory Usage reported by Norton is an indication of the amount of system resources being used by your system regardless of what for -- system resources in this context can be a combination of the physical memory in your computer (sticks of RAM) and other memory such as part of the hard disk drive set apart for WIndows to use when RAM gets full by swapping out from RAM to the disk and then back again when it's needed.

The <<   I use a Verizon broad band card and am allowed 5000 MB a month >> is MBs of data sent up and down the internet connection when you download files, upload photos, send email or just browse the internet.

These two are not necessarily interconnected. You could disconnect your computer from the internet and still get a High Memory Usage reort if say you were playing a game not on line or editing a  video or something like that. Or you could use up all your Verizon MBs without stressing the memory enough to get the High Memory Usage warning from Norton.

Something that Norton has to do which can use up a lot of MBs is the updating of the definitions and other files used in protecting your computer from attack by malware. There's no a lot the user can do about this but there are two trends that could help -- The next Norton generation, 2012 that is in public beta testing at present and is usually released around September each year, has settings to postpone some actions when connected to the internet by a metered connection which would help if you have an unmetered connection at home but are metered while traveling. And also as more and more of protection is "in the cloud", to use the in term, massive downloads of files to your computer should reduce.

So to sum up -- the fact that Norotn is rporting High Memory Usage does not necessarily mean that Norton is eating up your Verizon MBs ...... If those are being gobbled down then you may need to look for the actual causes rather than at the reports that Norton gives.

That's how I see it anyway .....

Hugh
Kudos0

I understand that norton's not the problem now.  I use internet explorer as my seach engine.  Two or three times a day it uses 100 to 200 mb when the high usage warning comes up.  I don't use the computer much, i read 3 or 4 newspapers in the morning, check my e-mail &browse the web for about an hour a day.  Should I change from internet explorer to google or something else?  Is there any way I can find out what's eating up all my mb's?  I'm new to using a computer & don't know much about them.  Thanks for your help!

Andy

Kudos0

I'm not on a metered connection myself so I don't know what can be done to minimize download MBs by settings say in Internet Explorer or using a different browser.

Since the situation is not directly Norton related I'll suggest the moderator move this discussion to Tech Outpost since that's where general computing discussions that are not Norton related go on .You won't lose sight of it because a link will be left here.

I hope you get some help there ... I'll keep watch.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.