• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Startnow.com virus

I got the Startnow.com virus on my Chrome browser.  It is a redirectional virus which won't let me navigate, and keeps sending me to various other websites.  I finally just stopped using Chrome and I uninstalled it from my computer.   After a couple of days I tried reinstalling Chrome from Google's website.  Startnow.com was there again, so I am assuming it is lurking somewhere on my hard drive although Norton didn't pick it up.  What do I do?  I am currently using Explorer as my browser, but it seems to be acting oddly too.  Is there something out there which will help me get rid of this virus?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Startnow.com virus

I got the Startnow.com virus on my Chrome browser.  It is a redirectional virus which won't let me navigate, and keeps sending me to various other websites.  I finally just stopped using Chrome and I uninstalled it from my computer.   After a couple of days I tried reinstalling Chrome from Google's website.  Startnow.com was there again, so I am assuming it is lurking somewhere on my hard drive although Norton didn't pick it up.  What do I do?  I am currently using Explorer as my browser, but it seems to be acting oddly too.  Is there something out there which will help me get rid of this virus?

Kudos1

Download Norton Power Eraser from here and run a scan:
http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?lcid=1033

After the scan you will see a screen similar to this:

On that screen you can decide if a file is infected and needs fixing or not. If you are unsure, you can click on the "Scan" button to scan it a second time using another detection method. And if you are still unsure, click on the filename and the program will give you even more details:

Odds are the file is fine and doesn't need "fixing" unless if Norton gives you the red flag warning.

If you have questions, come back here and ask.

--TD "The brain is useless. We must find another brain." --Dr. Henry Frankenstein (1932)
Kudos0

Thank you so much.  The Norton Power Eraser is an awesome program.  Everything seems to be resolved. 

Replies are locked for this thread.