• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Restriction Warnings?!?

G'day All,

My reason for joining is that I suspect I have some sort of virus and I really need some help!

Please bear with me.

When I start up my computer using Windows XP with SP3, I get two "Restriction Warning" messages.

One reads "Administrator has prohibited access to CD/DVD ROM drives" and the otheris "Administrator has prohibited access to USB/1394 mass storage devices".

I have tried researching this on the net with no luck.

I am the only user/administrator on my system but I can't get access to any of my devices or drives unless I start Windows in "Safe Mode".

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to sort out this issue. Can anyone help me solve this?

Cheers, Ian

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Restriction Warnings?!?

Hello mgmoz

If your PC is an Acer check this thread:  TechSupport

Kudos1

mgmoz - Welcome to the Community and you really don't have to wait for a problem to join in on the posts.  Before getting started, you said you are running Windows XP SP3.  What AntiVirus or Security software are you running (with the version number).  Also have you installed or changed any hardware or software recently, you may have developed a driver problem.  Have you tried running checkdisk, while in safe mode, to check your harddrive?  It's a lot of questions but it helps track down any problems.

Kudos1

Hi mgmoz,

Welcome to the Norton Community. Which Norton product do you have and the version? You can find the version from Support > About.

Can you think of anything unusual which occurred prior to this problem starting? Any new software installed, including Windows update? Are there any other unusual problems with your computer that we should be aware of?

Though a problem like this "could" be malware related, there are a host of other possibilities which could be causing this as well. If this is the only symptom you are having it is unlikely to be malware.

Therefore more information about your system and any problems you might be having apart from this will allow us to provide better assistance.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies!

Okay, again please bear with me...I'm still on my "Trainer wheels" in this area!

My computer is an Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz, 2.80 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.

Windows XP Pro version 2002 with Svce Pack 3

I am running Norton Antivirus 18.6.0.29 and have done full scans over the last few weeks and days without finding any "nasties".

I recently downloaded and installed a program recommended by Microsoft called "Zune". It didn't do what I had hoped it would so I uninstalled it and I think that is when my problems began.

Prior to that, I did have problems opening up AutoCAD LT 2011 documents and was told to remove all the Microsoft. NET Framework versions in a particular order then download only the latest versions. Windows Update then automatically restored the versions it required. That didn't completely solve my AutoCAD LT problem but I was able to access those files.

I have observed a marked drop in speed of my system. I have run Registry Mechanic to clean up my registry without any speed improvement.

After sending off this message, I will try the "checkdisk" in safe mode as you have suggested PC_confused and I'll let you all know the results.

Thank you also Turbo & AllenM. I ready do appreciate your help.

Cheers, Ian

Kudos1

Download and run Norton Power Eraser tool :

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Go for Rootkit Scan and Restart the computer. Check if it detects any threats and if it does, please provide us the filename and other details. Don't fix any files now, you can fix those after getting confirmation in this thread.

Yogesh

Kudos0

Thank you, yogesh,

I have done as you have asked.

The only thing that came up is "lee filters swatchball" Type: Directory Local Scan: Bad.

I tried to attach a .jpg file 'screen grab' of it but can't.

One thing that I have now established recently is that a program called "AdminWorks Management Suite" (from OSA Technologies) is producing the warning windows that I get on Start Up. The icon down at the bottom of my screen is called 'AdminWorks Agent'

It is one of the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities.

Does that make any sense?

Any ideas what I am dealing with here?

Regards, Ian

Kudos1

Hi mgmoz,

You can attach a JPG image to your post by following the procedure in the following post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415/jump-to/first-unread-message

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks Allen

Kudos1

It looks as though the entry is likely to be a false positive.  Did you install the filters in connection with your CAD work?

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/products/colours/

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Thanks delphinium,

No, the two programs have no connection other than being on the same computer.

I am 99% certain that this "AdminWorks" program is the cause of my problem but I don't know how to get around it.

I could uninstall / re-install "Intel(R) Desktop Utilities" and see if that helps but I don't know what effect that will have on my system.

Cheers, Ian

Kudos1

Hi mgmoz

As you may be aware."Intel Desktop Utilities"...is a system monitoring utility that is designed to monitor "system state" parameters.....fan speeds ...disk health ....drivers etc; The program generates reports when it determines that the system may  not be detecting optimum settings.... and your "Restriction Warning " could well be generated as a result of the Intel utility either finding an error ..or even a false positive issue !

You said you still have your "Training wheels " on ....but you have taken the correct steps in not dashing in and deleting stuff etc;...... and you have provided some clear detail as to what has happened which helps someone to get a "handle" on what may be happening here .

As far as I am aware...there is no harm in your creating a restore point and then uninstalling "Intel Desktop Utilities " and then seeing if that proves that the source of your "restriction warning" is a result of the Desktop utilities "scanning engine " .

It is also possible that Windows Updates can throw things out of "sync" ...and users have reported other "system monitoring " utilities have thrown up previously unseen error messages after an "update " etc:

If you are a little wary of uninstalling "IDU" ....by all means , wait and see if anyone disagrees with my suggestion before you decide.

Troubleshooting is best done "one step at a time " ...and that allows us to determine at what point in the process the corrective step proves a positive result !

The guys' here have great experience between them ...and even those of us who " took off our training wheels " many years ago .......are still learning something new every day ! So take it a step at atime ..and I'm sure we'll crack it  !

Ed .

P.S. Done a bit of snooping ...and found that the "Lee swatchball " is a genuine part of a CAD application "colour selection " swatch chart in a ball format ......and the Adminworks suite has this option as part of its function ..........

Remote Restriction Management

* Restrict remote users from exchanging information between:
         * USB flash devices
         * CD/DVD Burners
         * Floppy disk devices
    * Restrict remote users from downloading unauthorized files (i.e. mp3, pif, wmv)

These entries look very familiar to the references you saw in your first post ..It's highly likely that  Adminworks is the source of your generated warnings ! 

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHDDocendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)
Kudos1

To bleeper 24 & everyone else that has been helping me here,

I 'bit the bullet' and uninstalled IDU and restarted. That solved the problem!!!

I reinstalled the lastest version of IDU to suit my system and have just restarted my computer...and everything is working just fine!

Thank you all so very much for your input and help.

Cheers, Ian

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Hi Ian

Ian wrote...........

[To bleeper 24 & everyone else that has been helping me here,

I 'bit the bullet' and uninstalled IDU and restarted. That solved the problem!!!]

You're welcome Ian ...your clear description of the problem helped all involved to assist you with your query ..Glad its' sorted !

Cheers....Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHDDocendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

Replies are locked for this thread.