• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

altfarm.mediaplex.com

I am new to this. I don't know where to turn for answers.  I hope someone can explain to me what to do.

When I go to my Yahoo email, Safari drops down a box that says "Safari can't verify the identity of the website "altfarm.mediaplex.com". I have no idea what altfarm.mediaplex.com is, and, since I didn't navigate there, I assume it is not a good thing to get this message. I hit cancel, but it still makes me nervous something bad is on my computer. 

I don't click on ads, although I have been vexed lately by the ones that get larger and cover what I'm trying to see on the screen. These seem to do that if the mouse even happens to cross over the ad, or even go too close to it.

I get constant notices of "vulnerability blocked" from Norton popping up. (I wish I knew how to stop those. Seeing them every 2 minutes just makes me feel more vulnerable.)

I keep my Norton anti-virus up to date, and I run it at least once a week. It always says there are no viruses, but I no longer believe that. I can't figure out where on the Symantec website to go to get an email to, and an answer from, them.

I have an eMac (powerpc), running OS X10.4.11, with Safari 4.1.3 as my main browser, and Firefox 3.6.18.

My Norton products are antivirus 11.1.2, firewall 4.1.1, confidential 1.3.4, and live update 5.1.2.

My computer knowledge is fair to middling, self taught. In other words, while I will greatly appreciate help, I will not understand it if you get too technical on me!

Thank you!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: altfarm.mediaplex.com

"altfarm.mediaplex.com"

Appears to be an outfit Yahoo uses to gather stats. I recommend using Firefox as your main browser and install  the NoScript and AdBlocker extensions to block/manage nuisance sites like the above. To find FF add-ons go to:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/.

"I don't click on ads, although I have been vexed lately by the ones that get larger and cover what I'm trying to see on the screen. These seem to do that if the mouse even happens to cross over the ad, or even go too close to it.'

Yup, NoScript and AdBlocker should take care of that.

"I keep my Norton anti-virus up to date, and I run it at least once a week. It always says there are no viruses, but I no longer believe that."

It's true. Honestly!

"I get constant notices of "vulnerability blocked" from Norton popping up. (I wish I knew how to stop those. Seeing them every 2 minutes just makes me feel more vulnerable.)"

A Symantec employee will be able to tell you how to turn those notifications off.

Or check this out:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-for-Mac/Notification-messages/m-p/338032/highlight/true#M2917

Kudos0

Thank you for the advice concerning ways to prevent this using Firefox. I will look for those add-ons. 

I can't make Firefox my main browser, though, simply because, for me, Firefox sucks. I hate it, but have it just so I have a second browser. Part of it could be because I cannot update to the latest version of Firefox. When the newest version came out, I learned my old non-intel Mac couldn't get it. But I wasn't happy with Firefox even before they decided prehistoric computers need not apply. It's slow, simple tasks are sometimes complicated on Firefox, and I have a feeling the newest version wouldn't make me any happier. I've tried a few times in the past to use Firefox over Safari, but always felt happier with Safari.

Until this new problem surfaced.

Kudos0

To each his/her own!

Correction:

For FF it's called AdBlock Plus.

Safari (if you must):

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32851/safari-adblocker

"Scroogle"ing may turn up others.

Kudos0

I can't download the Safari ad blocker. It says it's for intel-based, OS X10.5, macs only. It figures. 

You are right about it being something with Yahoo. That's the only place it's happening. And every time I open an email, close an email, change a folder, etc., I get that "Safari can't verify... " box. Every time. Yesterday, I wrote to Yahoo's customer service. I have not had a reply.

Kudos0

>ReneeH wrote:

>I can't download the Safari ad blocker. It says it's for intel-based, OS X10.5, macs only. It figures. 

Here's the Apple extensions site:

http://extensions.apple.com/

>ReneeH wrote:

>You are right about it being something with Yahoo. That's the only place it's happening. And every time I open an email, close an email, change a folder, etc., I get that "Safari can't verify... " box. Every time. Yesterday, I wrote to Yahoo's customer service. I have not had a reply.

And just think... mplex gets paid 1/10 cent each time they mess with your head! Can you add them to your Norton Firewall blacklist? Might be a good time to switch web email providers.

Replies are locked for this thread.