• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

suspect keyboard virus/malware, toshiba lap

ran full system scan plus norton power eraser. has not fixed a virus or malware that makes laptop keyboard mistype.  affects alpha numeric function of keyboard. for example, backspace displays: wpf, key p displays: pf (with multiple spaces after), etc.  the a key displays: a (plus a hard return before and after).  some keys seem to be unaffected.  the alpha numeric function of my laptop works fine with an external wireless keyboard.  suspect malware/virus.  other people have posted similar problems with toshiba computers using norton security software (on online forums).  please is there something i can download? help!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: suspect keyboard virus/malware, toshiba lap

ran full system scan plus norton power eraser. has not fixed a virus or malware that makes laptop keyboard mistype.  affects alpha numeric function of keyboard. for example, backspace displays: wpf, key p displays: pf (with multiple spaces after), etc.  the a key displays: a (plus a hard return before and after).  some keys seem to be unaffected.  the alpha numeric function of my laptop works fine with an external wireless keyboard.  suspect malware/virus.  other people have posted similar problems with toshiba computers using norton security software (on online forums).  please is there something i can download? help!

Kudos1

Hi taetakacs,

Keyboard issues such as this are usually hardware or software problems, rather than malware-related.  SInce an external keyboard seems to work, the problem would appear to be an issue with the Toshiba.  Have you searched the Toshiba Keyboards and Touchpads forum for a solution?  If you cannot find your issue posted there, you might register and start a thread.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/bd-p/brd_input

Kudos1

Hello taetakacs

Have you tried reinstalling your keyboard drivers or updating the driver? Have you tried unplugging the laptop if it is plugged in?Have you tried changing the battery if wireless?

My keyboard recently was typing just g's and couldn't stop it. I had to unplug the USB plug from the key board and plug it back in to fix that. I had a message on windows live messenger and all I could type was non stop g's.... Rebooting didn't help either. A simple fix such as unplugging the USB did the trick.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

wow  I was trolling lookinf for a solution, I opened a windows live email from a company (reputable) and my keyboard was messed up fast. I remembered the old sticky keys tricks we used to play 10 years or so ago, and imagined I missed this one!

It is "blue Keys" enabled or "Language" changed. It is not a virus so no anti virus will detect it. It is not a trojan so no malware(anti) will fix it, it is more like a malicious code or script written to the background of an email. I have not yet found what how or where, but the fix is a number of combinations depending on your computer/keyboard.

Press "fn" and "number lock" on laptops with "fn" key and some also use "scroll" key as well. On desktops I hit so many I dont remember but they included combinations of "hold shift" (not **bleep** lock) and tap "scroll" and "control" and tap "scroll". Maybe if that does not work for you, try "ctrl" with same combinations and "alt" as above.

I have trolled the net for answers and this little pearl goes back 10 years. I am amazed how less sophisticated those people are, who are bold enough to post on tech answer forums. It is like give a monkey a machine gun and soon enough it will fire. Many posters who had no idea, had actually posted 6,000 times or more..omg.. and that was on hundreds of forums i trolled.

Time to get a cookie with milk and take an afternoon nap kiddies, the cartoons will be on at 3pm. The more affluent we become, the more babies will find a way to yell, scream and thrash about! one poster who had nmore than 6,000 posts was called "prodigal" .. omg someones son! dont you kids ever think about "other toys" and leave serious business to adults.

Replies are locked for this thread.