• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How do I get rid of the double click virus?

I am a basics only computer user.  I have a doubleclick virus and Norton does not get rid of it. Is it malicious?  Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

Thanks,

Karla

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How do I get rid of the double click virus?

Hi Karla,

Welcome to Norton Community!

Are you getting any pop-ups or alerts from virus?

Let us know the version of Norton program you have and your Operating System. You can try to download and run Norton Power Eraser tool :

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Go for Rootkit Scan and Restart the computer. Check if it detects any threats and if it does, please provide us the filename and other details.

Yogesh

Kudos0

I am running Norton 360, on Windows XP.

I am not getting any pop ups, just when explore is opened an extra tab with doubleclick running opens automatically.

Thanks,

Karla

Kudos0

Oh, and the Norton Power eraser found nothing, I tried that before posting.

karla

Kudos0

kajdavis - Could this be a DoubleClick Toolbar add-on, that can be removed using the add/remove program in Control Panel?  I don't really know but I was thinking it could be something like the Yahoo Toolbar or the Google Toolbar.  Just my thought..

Kudos0

Thanks for the thought , unfortunately I checked for something like and did not find it. 

Thanks again,

karla

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

It actually isn't a virus.  It is a part of Google, since Google bought Doubleclick.  From what I can see on searches, it is a stinker to get rid of.  I would suggest visiting Majorgeeks forum for assistance as you may need to make several registry changes to get it all out.

Read the "Read and Run Me First" sticky on the forum so that you have the required logs ready.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=d81327f61aaa42024a45607901359926&f=35

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain

Replies are locked for this thread.