• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Not a valid Win32 application

I have a "Google redirect" virus/malware on my machine.  Calling Norton Support and having a technician take over my computer did not find it/fix it.   I tried to use the Power Eraser and it comes up with a "NPE.exe" is not a valid Win32 application.  The "redirect" is driving me nuts!  I've tried several workarounds and none have worked.    I understand that Norton's 360 is the leading/premier application.  Any ideas on how to best get rid of the redirect malware/virus?......including on how I can run the Power Eraser option.   Maybe the malware/virus has something that displays the negative display.   Thanks in advance of any help.....P.S.  I'm in a small town and have to do all this myself.....Wes - Pendleton, OR

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Not a valid Win32 application

I have a "Google redirect" virus/malware on my machine.  Calling Norton Support and having a technician take over my computer did not find it/fix it.   I tried to use the Power Eraser and it comes up with a "NPE.exe" is not a valid Win32 application.  The "redirect" is driving me nuts!  I've tried several workarounds and none have worked.    I understand that Norton's 360 is the leading/premier application.  Any ideas on how to best get rid of the redirect malware/virus?......including on how I can run the Power Eraser option.   Maybe the malware/virus has something that displays the negative display.   Thanks in advance of any help.....P.S.  I'm in a small town and have to do all this myself.....Wes - Pendleton, OR

Kudos0

Hi grilleymgt,

Also, Please let me know about your computer like...

Operating System : Windows Vista / 7 / XP

Norton Product   including version number

K Ramachandran, Norton One Support Advisor
Kudos0

Sorry that it's taken a couple of days for me to reply...and thank you for your offer to help to remove the "redirect malware/virus".  It's been a disappointing process for me, since Norton 360 is rated at the very, very top of the heap for malware/virus protection.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional, version 5.1, Service Pack 3

My Norton product is Norton 360, version 5.1.0.29

My computer is an HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form.

I did try the Safe Mode, but received the same notice...."not a valid Win32 application" , so still was not able to run the Power Eraser. 

Thank you...the "redirect malware/virus" is very frustrating.....Thanks.....Wes

Kudos0

Hello grilleymgt

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

The malware on your computer may be preventing the NPE from being able to download properly. I would suggest that you visit one or the free malware removal sites. They will be able to give you the proper tools and scans for you to run and will be able to work with you on a 1 to 1 basis. They will be able to help you clean up your computer. BleepingComputer will be the busiest of the 4 sites. I'm sure the other sites will be able to help you  to get your computer cleaned up.,

Please go to one of these free Forums for help in removing your bad malware or rootkits.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/

(Thanks to Delph for providing the list of sites)

Please sign up with one of them and let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Thanks....I'll start with Bleeping Computer and run on down the line....and I'll keep you posted......Wes

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Can you download NPE on another clean computer to copy to the infected PC? Also, try Norton Bootable Recovery Tool (NBRT) from http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/overview.aspx?lcid=1033 (same place as NPE). Download both tools on clean PCs and run their scanner and cleaner tools on your infected PC. That should run and fix your problems. :)
Kudos1

Thanks, Pi....great idea.  The Bleeping Computer is an impressive site, but an afternoon's work yesterday didn't show any results.   I'll try your idea with my laptop.....Thanks...wes

Kudos0

I am having this exact same problem. No amount of re-downloading has any effect on the error. So, if I download this to a clean computer, how do I then scan the other computer with it? THANKS!

Kudos0

cbtripp wrote:

I am having this exact same problem. No amount of re-downloading has any effect on the error. So, if I download this to a clean computer, how do I then scan the other computer with it? THANKS!

For NBRT Wizard, just make a bootable disc or flash media with NBRT to scan and clean your infected computer with it. With NPE, just copy it from the clean PC to the infected PC. Also if using Flash media, don't put in the clean PCs if it was used in an infected PC since flash media are writeable.

If I were you, I would try NBRT first.

Kudos0

Thanks to all....I THINK it has been solved.  I used Google several time last evening as well as today....and they all worked correctly.   I downloaded NPE from my laptop to a flash drive and then used it on my desktop, pushed the button, and my wife called me to dinner.  Following dinner, it had run....I ran Google and voila! ...it worked correctly.  Thank you, Ramachandran, Flotplot and Pi , for the help.    I'm still a bit dissapointed that Norton 360 did not find the "redirect virus/malware"; however, I certainly appreciate the help in solving it.  Thanks again to all.....Wes

Kudos0

grilleymgt wrote:

Thanks to all....I THINK it has been solved.  I used Google several time last evening as well as today....and they all worked correctly.   I downloaded NPE from my laptop to a flash drive and then used it on my desktop, pushed the button, and my wife called me to dinner.  Following dinner, it had run....I ran Google and voila! ...it worked correctly.  Thank you, Ramachandran, Flotplot and Pi , for the help.    I'm still a bit dissapointed that Norton 360 did not find the "redirect virus/malware"; however, I certainly appreciate the help in solving it.  Thanks again to all.....Wes

Glad to hear that all is well.

In defense of Norton I have to allow that nothing is perfect. The products get better all of the time and they do listen to the users suggestions for improvements. Please continue to visit, help others and suggest improvements in the correct forum as you deem appropriate.

We'll leave a light on

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

grilleymgt wrote:

No programs can catch everything. Just keep that in mind. It does its best to protect you. Hence, why there are NPE, NBRT, etc. as extra tools.

Kudos0

Hi grilleymgt,

For your issue, try out these steps:

1) Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE with networking.

2) Ran the Norton Power Eraser tool, If you have any virus/malicious files found  - make sure you enable the system restore and then goahead and do fix it.

Please let me know if you have any issues...!!!!

K Ramachandran, Norton One Support Advisor

Replies are locked for this thread.