• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Renewal Problem?

My Norton AntiVirus has only 28 days left, and we got it with our Hp Pavilion Laptop from Best Buy, and the product key came with us when we got it. So yesterday, I tried to renew Norton; I clicked renew,typed in the product key, pressed express renewal, and it took me to BestBuy.com with a page for me to renew Norton. I did, and then it said thank you for your purchase and I exited out, but Norton still says it has 28 days remaining. I'm very worried cuz I dont want Norton to go out, and my dad is really upset that I did this. I even went to Support - Sub. Status and it stills says I have 28 days left. What do I do? Please help?!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Renewal Problem?

My Norton AntiVirus has only 28 days left, and we got it with our Hp Pavilion Laptop from Best Buy, and the product key came with us when we got it. So yesterday, I tried to renew Norton; I clicked renew,typed in the product key, pressed express renewal, and it took me to BestBuy.com with a page for me to renew Norton. I did, and then it said thank you for your purchase and I exited out, but Norton still says it has 28 days remaining. I'm very worried cuz I dont want Norton to go out, and my dad is really upset that I did this. I even went to Support - Sub. Status and it stills says I have 28 days left. What do I do? Please help?!

Kudos0

Hello Shizuka

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Since your NAV came directly from Best Buy with a special key, I would suggest you call them to find out how you renew the product. I don't know if you wil just have to purchase a regular NAV 2011 now or if they have a special arrangement for renewals.

•Simple, 24-hour customer support: Call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) with any questions. Ask for the Subscription Software Team.

If you have to get a regular NAV or NIS, please also ask them if you need a special removal tool to remove their version before installing the regular Norton product. If you have purchased a renewal thru Best Buy, I would think that they would email you a new subscription key. Check your spam detector and see if you can find the new key. If you find one, then I would suggest that you wait till a day or 2 before your current sub ends, otherwise you will lose the remaining days.

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

I called the number, and they said that as soon as my days run out automatically it would renew and the year would be added on immediatley after it runs out. Is this correct? Does this happen?

Kudos0

Hello Shizuka

I don't know how Best Buy handles their renewals. I know with the regular Norton products, we recommend if you have purchased a new boxed package of the product which contains a new key, then we tell the users to enter the new key a day or 2 before the end of the subscription so that they don't lose any time and they have continued protection. Usually once the subscription runs out, the protection stops. We don't have too many people who come here with their products bought thru best buy and they renew thru best buy. If the product is bought thru the Symantec estore, then the time is added on when the purchase is made.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Shizuka,

I do believe from some messages I've seen in the past that Norton do have special arrangements with other companies to supply a Norton product linked to that company -- I came across it with a Norton 360 or NIS, I don't remember now, that was linked to Office Depot so they  may have a similar link with Best Buy.

I've had a look at their website and they do have a deal where they handle the renewal and the terms of it say:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Software-Games/Subscription+Software/pcmcat165100050002.c?id=pcmcat165100050002 

Renewal and Cancellation. If you have signed up for automatic renewal your subscription will renew automatically, unless we terminate it or you notify us by telephone, (1-888-BESTBUY, and ask for the Subscription Software Team) of your decision to terminate your subscription. For annual subscriptions, we will notify you of the pending renewal of your subscription at least 30 days prior to the date your subscription renews, except as otherwise required by law. You must cancel your subscription before it renews in order to avoid billing of subscription fees for the renewal term to your credit card. You may cancel this Agreement and your subscription within the first thirty days following purchase and receive a refund of fees paid (less any installation charges). Following the initial thirty days after installation, you may cancel at any time and receive a refund for any unused full month periods. It may take up to 20 business days for your cancellation request to be processed.

I'd check your credit card, if that's how you paid, and make sure it is shown and then watch carefully to see that it does not expire since if it does it stops working completely and you will be unprotected.

As a matter of interest how much did they charge you for the 1 year reneweal, if you don't mind saying ......

Hugh
Kudos0

the lady I talked to said our credit card would be charged as soon as the days expired, and renew automatically. I think it was 42.35

Kudos0

Thanks -- that's US $ or £ ? <s>

Just watch carefully as the time comes near.

Write down the date and time, name of the person you spoke to and the phone number if you still remember all that.

Hugh
Kudos0

No, I don't remember any of that, except the number which someone one here told me to use to connect to the Subscription Software team. But the days are getting closer, and I have 23 days remaining, and I'm getting nervous. I know I'll be unprotected if my Norton goes away, but if I try to renew and it's gone, will I get a virus if I just go on Facebook and Youtube and Yahoo? Cuz I'm really worried, and my dad will be upset if we have to pay for it again.

Kudos0

Shizuka,

If your dad has to pay again, I'm afraid that's between you and Best Buy but in my experience they are not only reputable but also do have good customer service.

I would not recommend you to go anywhere if the protection does cease.

If you have Best Buy stores near you I suggest that on the day before it is due to expire you take your laptop into Customer Support Desk, tell them the history including showing them the receipt for what you paid them and say that you want the renewal to show up NOW or you will leave the laptop until the next day and come back for it with the renewal showing! Ask for the Store manager if necessary -- be calm, polite and firm! If you paid by credit card you can always enter a dispute with them and they'll credit the money back to the card while sorting it out.

If this is not possible, then log on here (IS there any other computer in your immediate family or a friend with a laptop?) and we can help you install a trial version of Norton which should give you about 14 days to sort things out.

Let's hope it does not come to that.

Hugh
Kudos0

I hope it doesn't either, but then my parents are very busy and I don't know where I'd fine the time to go to Best Buy, though we do have one near us. Also, when I renewed it didn't ask for an email so it could email me a receipt or confirmation email. Is this a problem do you think?

Kudos0

Shizuka,

You must have paid for it somewhow -- credit card? So you can make a copy of the debit on your card; if the account has not come you can see it online and print from that.

I've no other suggestions for you -- You never said whether you are in the UK or the USA (BestBuy are in both).

Hugh
Kudos0

Oh sorry, I'm in the USA.

Kudos0

Then I doubt you'll have any problem.

I hope you've told your parents .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Why wouldn't I have a problem for being in the US? Is Best Buy different in the Uk?

Kudos0

Eveerything is different in the UK <g>

All I was saying is that I have experience with Best Buy here in the USA but not in the UK although I lived there at one time.

I dodn't think I can help you any more since the situation really is between you and Best Buy -- although if something does go wrong I'm sure Norton will help sort it out since they have a 60 day warranty even on what you buy from authorized distributors and not just direct from them.

Hugh
Kudos0

My Norton says it has 0 days remaining now, but a message came up saying I have 30 days to renew...is this a free 30 days I'm getting or something?  A year has not been added at all, and we did renew it, or will it do it tomorrow? Becuz earlier today it said I had 1 day remaing - and then I got the message about the 30 days, and when I checked it said I had 0 days remaining...I'm very confused and frustrated. My friend had said I will be alright without antivirus for a few days, as long as I don't download anything and I can't renew until my mom gets home to give me the credit card. Please help!

(It's still allowing me to scan and run live updates)

Also, I clicked on Express Renewal and it says my renewal date is on 8/26/11, and today is the 25th...does this mean it will renew tomorrow or something?

Kudos0

Shizuka,

I quote from my last message to you -- << I don't think I can help you any more since the situation really is between you and Best Buy  >>

If you have Express Renewal then it should get renewed if someone agreed to the charge going on their credit card.

<< My friend had said I will be alright without antivirus for a few days, as long as I don't download anything  >>

You can get infected on the internet without downloading a file to install it yourself. Drive by attacks ....

If you have a subscription problem then contact the Norton OnLIne Customer Support via CHAT as below but it will need to be the person with the credit card shown on the Norton website if there is a query about renewing on that card.

To contact customer support Click on this link and work on from there. You may have to scroll down a little to see the CHAT button.

You can choose CHAT or Email; email or phone may have a long wait time and feedback from users tells us that CHAT is by far the best at resolving problems.

Note that that link is to the USA/CAN website so if you are located elsewhere I'm sure you will be able to find the equivalent location on your local Symantec website; some pages have a link at the top right where you can select the country you are located in.

Hugh
Kudos0

Then if you can't help me, could you at least answer me as to why it said I was 30 days left even though it shows I have 0 days?

Kudos0

Shizuka wrote:

Then if you can't help me, could you at least answer me as to why it said I was 30 days left even though it shows I have 0 days?

How can I answer that ? I can't see your computer which is using a Norton system you said you activated through Best Buy and so far as I can tell you won't ask Best Buy ..... who are in the same country as you are.

Here's your first message here:

07-28-2011 10:55 AM

So far as I can see everything you describe now fits in with what you said then and yet you were told how to sort it out.

You and your mother and Best Buy will have to do that.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.