• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

taking forever to backup!

I am currently doing my first backup using Norton Online Backup 2.0.   It calculated the space requirement at only 2.52 GB.  It took almost 2 hours to go through just the scanning process.  It is now in the process of transferring my files.  It's been 3 hours and it's only done 10%.  Is this a normal thing for it to take all flippin day to back up less than 3 GB of files?   I have a cable internet connection so it should not be this slow.

I can't see leaving my computer running all night every night to back up these files if it's going to take so many hours each time.   How is this supposed to be user friendly?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: taking forever to backup!

swissmrs wrote:

I am currently doing my first backup using Norton Online Backup 2.0.   It calculated the space requirement at only 2.52 GB.  It took almost 2 hours to go through just the scanning process.  It is now in the process of transferring my files.  It's been 3 hours and it's only done 10%.  Is this a normal thing for it to take all flippin day to back up less than 3 GB of files?   I have a cable internet connection so it should not be this slow.

I can't see leaving my computer running all night every night to back up these files if it's going to take so many hours each time.   How is this supposed to be user friendly?

Welcome,

Everything isn't 'always' this slow. This is the first time the program has seen your system and file structure. It is also the first time it has established a link to the Norton servers to store your information. It is also necessary to encrypt all of your information before it leaves your computer to insure its safety and integrity. It takes time. The incremental backups that will follow should be much smaller and they should be processed more quickly. The user friendly part is that you only have to wait for it to do its thing once you set it up.

Give it a chance to get setup and running before you make a final decision. A week should be more than enough time for an evaluation. That would allow for changes on your end, Internet traffic in between and server congestion on the other end.

Keep us in the loop, we'll leave a light on

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos1

While I can understand the first time might take a couple of hours perhaps to back up such a small amount of files, how can it possibly take almost an entire day?  The transfer has now been going for 7 1/2 hours and it's not even 50 % done.  I cannot even imagine if I had backed up all the files I was planning on doing which totalled about 19 GB.  Would it have taken days?   In my opinion, even the first time should not be taking (based on it's current rate) about 16 hours to transfer less than 3 GB of data.  That is just plain rediculous.  I don't even have any other programs running while this is going on.

Kudos1

Do you know the transfer rate of your internet connection?

The upload speed is what matters, usually the download speed may be 2-3 times as fast as the upload speed.

With my cable internet upload speed 10 hours sounds reasonable to upload that much even though I could download that much in half the time.

But don't think you'll be uploading that much every day, once you get the first backup done it will then be only backing up the files that have changed.

Dave

Kudos1

After 11 1/2 hours of transferring it was at 67 % done...then all of a sudden it stops and I get the message that the back up failed.  It says to check the log, but it won't even let me look at it.   The top of the screen still says 0 of 25 GB used.   I can't beleive that after nearly 12 hours nothing got uploaded?  So now I have to go through this whole process again with no guarantee it will even work.   ARGHHH!!!!   I can't be running my business if my computer is busy for the entire day trying to back up a few files.

This frustrating beyond belief and I can't find anything in the help files to tell me what went wrong or what to do.

Kudos1

Hello Swissmrs,

There are other logs it writes besides the web based one. The best thing to do at the moment is contact support to have them review the logs. It may have completed part of the transfer but just not decrementing your space till it gets a full backup completed. Even if you had to restart the backup during the work day you can still use the computer. The service has open file technology so it can access files you're working on.

Skip past the forums in this link and utilize the chat or phone option. If they cannot resolve it in the first instance send me a private message and we'll escalate it the next tier.

As for the speed of transfer its critical to keep in mind your upload speed is 1/4th the speed of what your download usually is. The speed your getting is about normal.

Kudos1

This is my experience too.  The tech support team assures me this is normal upload speed.  Try only uploading one catagory of information at a time, into smaller "packets",  ie- first only upload contacts, then the second time only upload financial files etc.

Kudos1

online back up work in a way that before backing up the files online it will be first encrypted in your computer then it will do a back up. As this is the first backup it will take time but from the next back up it will just backup only the files that  are newly added to your computer so it wont take much time.

The back up time  completely depends on the internet speed and the number of files you are trying to do a backup.

Kudos1

Well, that's not my experience.  EVERY backup I've ever done has run all night (assuming it doesn't bomb out for some obscure reason).  I'm now trying to do a restore - quess what - 7 hours later and it hasn't even started yet. 

Kudos0

Hello

It's started but is doing all the work server side. The web interface is not updating since its still compiling all the data to download to you. Once that process has completed you will then start seeing a download status. Make sure you don't stop the restore once you start it though. If it is a large data set it will take some time to process. If it is I'd suggest breaking it down into smaller sets so you can get the absolute necessary items first and then grab the other items. We are in process of making improvements to messaging especially in regards to restore.

If you're getting errors during the backup process please send me a private message with some of the details and we'll see what we can do to help you sort them out.

Replies are locked for this thread.