• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Intelligent Updater

Occasionally, I use "Intelligent Updater". This keeps me immediately current.

Question:-

When "LiveUpdate" runs, does it overwrite anything downloaded from  "Intelligent Updater", or does the most current "Definitions" prevail ?

Be safe out there ! AK

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Intelligent Updater

AFAIK LiveUpdate is better than Intelligent Updater. In LiveUpdate you will get all updates including Virus Definitions, Product Updates, etc. I mean to say all Updates. This may be not in the case of Intelligent Updater.

Kudos0

photo762 wrote:

When "LiveUpdate" runs, does it overwrite anything downloaded from  "Intelligent Updater", or does the most current "Definitions" prevail ?

When LiveUpdate runs it checks to see if you have the most recent updates.  If you don't, LiveUpdate downloads and installs the latest files.  If you do, then LiveUpdate reports that there are no updates available and closes.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

photo762 wrote:

When LiveUpdate runs it checks to see if you have the most recent updates.  If you don't, LiveUpdate downloads and installs the latest files.  If you do, then LiveUpdate reports that there are no updates available and closes.

So, "LiveUpdate" is the best way to receive all new updates.

I have an irritation with the Rapport Trusteer software fuctionality in my IE7. I have been in dialog with Rapport Trusteer and Microsoft, and I've had to stop the dialogue, because of the diminishing return from a rather protracted timeline. Enough time spent, game over.

Question:-

Which "Files and/or Folders" can I manually check on my machine to confirm the current updates installed, to my N360 ?

Anyone, thanks.

Be safe out there ! AK

Kudos0

Hi photo762,

Live Update is absolutely the best way to ensure that you receive the latest updates in a timely fashion. The Intelligent Updater only updates antivirus definitions and not other types of definitions and also does not include program updates.

Is there a reason why you would choose to use the Intelligent Updater instead of Live Update?

If you have WIndows Explorer configured to display hidden files/folders you can navigate to C:\ProgramData\Norton and then search for VirusDefs. Under that you will see a folder named something like:

This stands for the Year,month,day and update number (e.g., 017). Note that the 017 does not mean there were 17 updates released that day. This number can be anything and I believe it corresponds to some internal work that Symantec has done in order to reach the point of releasing the definitions.

Anyway, this number should match the number reported in the Intelligent Updater link as below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

The example above as you might have surmised is for today. The folder name I mentioned above corresponds to the latest release of Virus Definitions as listed on the Intelligent Updater page.

I would caution again though that you really should be using Live Update and NOT the Intelligent Updater.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

Hi photo762,

Live Update is absolutely the best way to ensure that you receive the latest updates in a timely fashion. The Intelligent Updater only updates antivirus definitions and not other types of definitions and also does not include program updates.

Is there a reason why you would choose to use the Intelligent Updater instead of Live Update?

If you have WIndows Explorer configured to display hidden files/folders you can navigate to C:\ProgramData\Norton and then search for VirusDefs. Under that you will see a folder named something like:

This stands for the Year,month,day and update number (e.g., 017). Note that the 017 does not mean there were 17 updates released that day. This number can be anything and I believe it corresponds to some internal work that Symantec has done in order to reach the point of releasing the definitions.

Anyway, this number should match the number reported in the Intelligent Updater link as below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

The example above as you might have surmised is for today. The folder name I mentioned above corresponds to the latest release of Virus Definitions as listed on the Intelligent Updater page.

I would caution again though that you really should be using Live Update and NOT the Intelligent Updater.

Best wishes.

Allen

I've had a couple of cases where Trusteer Rapport has compromised particularly MS Browser Updates, and currently the latest build is messing with my N360 browser security; in as much that, turn "TR" off everything is OK.

I'm at a stage where, I not going to manically reload packages; so, I'm doing my own "work-through"; hopefully to increase my knowledge-base and understanding of how my computer interacts with other products.

I had 42-years of faulting hardware, use of oscilloscope, logic levels, etc, replacing soldered computer-chips. So, the methodology is there.

As for my use of  "Intelligent Updater". When I finish a work-through, I use "IU" as a double surety, that I have put my computer all-square to carry on using.

Be safe out there ! AK

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

I found where the various species of "DEFS" reside on my harddisk.

The "Date/Time Attribute" tallies with "current".

Cheers all.

Be safe out there ! AK