• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

HOW TO RECOVER BACK-UP FILES

Please excuse an obvious question but the Norton Q&A  virtual help sends me round in circles.  I had an old computer with Norton 360 installed and (hopefully) all my important files backed-up.  This computer crashed.  I have now bought a new computer and loaded Norton 360 OK.  Now how can I download my back-up files please?

Thanks

Dave

Replies

Kudos0

Re: HOW TO RECOVER BACK-UP FILES

Please excuse an obvious question but the Norton Q&A  virtual help sends me round in circles.  I had an old computer with Norton 360 installed and (hopefully) all my important files backed-up.  This computer crashed.  I have now bought a new computer and loaded Norton 360 OK.  Now how can I download my back-up files please?

Thanks

Dave

Kudos0

Hi SHERBORNES

To which destination did you backed up your files? Is it to any local drive or to the Online storage?

Thanks

Kavitha

Kudos0

I stored my back-up on the on-line storage.

Kudos0

I replaced the hard drive and I restored the files to the new hard drive. I cant find the restored files in any of the folders.

Kudos0

Hi SHERBORNES

Please connect to Norton Account from this page :  Main UI -> Back up -> Manage Backup sets -> Where -> Choose Secure Online Storage and Click on the link present below to activate Online Storage.

Once you do this and visit the Restore page, Clicking on View All from the Restore Page -> Restore source tab should list all the Online back up sets.

Also you can restore from the Norton Online Backup site http://n360.backup.com. Use your Norton Account credentials to login to this site

Thanks

Kavitha

Kudos0

Dear Kavitha,

I followed the links from n360.backup.com and found several sets of files which I did not understand.  One was from the temporary netbook account I had, but I could not find any files in any of the other sets.  I am certain that they were backed up from my old Dell PC until the middle of August.  I do note that the product key for my new computer is different from that for my old computer, does this make a difference?  (New PK starts with TDV7Q and old product serial number starts with VJ8BK.)

Where are my old back up files stored please?

Cheers

Dave Sherborne

Kudos0

Hello Dave,

Yes, it may. Are they both tied to the same Norton account? Any specific reason why you're using a new product key instead of the original one?

Kudos0

I did not CHOOSE to use a new product key; it was given to me by Norton when I asked to download the copy of Norton 360 again.  I was not asked if I already had a product key. (Neither was I asked for another subscription!)  I assumed Norton knew what it was doing!!

However if you know what my previous key was and what my new one is, cannot you arrange for the previous back-up to be made available to the "new" account".

If this is not possible PLEASE tell me how to access my back-up files

Thank you,

Dave

PS

I am getting VERY fed up with your Word verification system.  It takes me at leat 4 attempts every posting.  Why is it necessary when replying, there is no security issue!!

Kudos0

Hello,

No, it isn't as simple as copying over data to a new account. All customer content is compressed and encrypted with a unique identifer. Unless there is something I don''t know there should have been no reason for you to get a new product key unless its a new product version or the online backup portion wasn't created properly. We know the backup was established and working though since you were using it. The existing product key would be found by logging into mynortonaccount.com. It will list all available product keys purchased.

It almost sounds like it also required you had to setup a new Norton account as well. The best course of action is we speak with you to get this sorted out. Please send me a private message with your contact details, don't post it publicly, and I'll have an Tier 3 agent reach out to you. Also reference this post so I know what the issue is.

Kudos0

I agree, but once again I am stumped with Norton's procedures.  What is your user name so that I can send a private message? Your name doesn't work!

Simple instructions somewhere would help new users like me!

Kudos0

In the above post, click the name wwelty, right above where it says "Symantec Employee"

On the next screen, look on the right hand side, it will say in red "send this user a private message"

Dave

Kudos0

Wesley,

Please contact me so that we can progress this matter.  I have tried sending private messages, but I do not know if they get through.

Dave

Kudos0

Dave,

You should have a reply back to the last message. Please continue any further topics on this matter via private message or with the Tier 3 agent when they contact you. Also please avoid creating new threads for the same issue. It will only complicate matters.

For reference it doesn't appear you have a new product key for Norton 360. Checking your account with the details given show you may be have been using Norton Online Backup instead. The phone call scheduled will confirm this and any other issues.

Replies are locked for this thread.