• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Browser Hijacking

Can Norton Stop My Browser From Being Hijacked?  When I click on links it goes to ads? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Browser Hijacking

Can Norton Stop My Browser From Being Hijacked?  When I click on links it goes to ads? 

Kudos0

There are several reasons for this to be happening.  Some are malicious and some are just a matter of downloading an extra toolbar with a program that you wanted.  Look in your browser add-ons and toolbars first to see if something can be deleted or uninstalled.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Thank you. Someone told me to uninstall Java then go to their website and reinstall. This highjacking started a few weeks ago. Browser are Internet Explorer; Google, and Chrome Google.

Kudos0

Is the hijacking on all browsers?  Google and Adobe are both notorious for dropping in toolbars.  I think Java comes with a sneaked in Yahoo toolbar. You will need to look Internet Explorer under tools>manage add-ons and check toolbars, search providers and accelerators to see if there are items that can be disabled or removed.

Check add/remove programs to see if there are toolbars like Ask, Tracker, or any other that you don't want.

Clear all browser caches and browsing history and reset your router.

Check Norton History under intrusion prevention to see if anything is being blocked.  Are you being sent to malicious sites or just advertising sites?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I have Norton Internet Security 2011, and I see the my system's History which is mucho, but I don't see anything re intrusion blocked?  All my add-ons are ok.  Oh, yes let's say I plug in "Internet Explorer 9 being redirected" and click in any browser.  And one of the links I receive is Microsoft, if I click there, a page comes up with links of other sites that offer to fix your computer.  Because Explorer 9 has tabs, I can visually see the link Microsoft  change to different name with new links offering services.

Kudos0

Since it is sending you to different search sites rather than to malicious web pages, it would seem likely that it is a nuisance rather than a serious infection.

Try these suggestions by Microsoft first and see how that develops.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/why-am-i-constantly-being-redirected-to-another/6f1e4ddd-4be8-4e59-ab48-a77e42a8293b

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Thank You Ever so much--that solved the problem!

Kudos0

Hello seniorhelp

I'm glad you got your problem solved. Can you please mark the post which solved your problem so that we know the thread has been solved and others will be able to find the solution quickly. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Replies are locked for this thread.