• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Confidential plug-in crashing Chrome

Getting a message "The following plug-in has crashed: Norton Confidential" when using Chrome at Yahoo Mail. Need to close browser down as Yahoo becomes unusable, happened a couple of times since updating, any thoughts ?

[edit: updated subject to better reflect thread topic]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing Chrome

LOL! I was gonna report same. I started installing some script on localhost and it crashed.

See picture below:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9895/fails.png

Kudos1

Hi v0id/sturgess,

Thanks for reporting the crash issue. We will look into it.

Can you please give some more details on this like, the sequence of actions you performed when the crash occured?

You saw the crash when logging into Yahoo mail or when browsing some specific web page in Yahoo..

Thanks,

Umai

Kudos1

Same story here as well --

Very inconsistent - does not do it all the time - Occurs here on Chrome about every 5th to 10th launch of the browser.  Does not fully crash Chrome - Only the confdential plug-in is reported as crashed.  Norton toolbar remains operational.  Site safety remains operational.  Identity Safe remains operational.  Go figure...

Windows 7 Pro - 32bit

Chrome 13.0.782.220

NIS2012 19.1.0.28

Kudos1

Thank you all for reporting this issue. We have fixed these crashes and would be resolved with the next update. 

Best Regards,

Avani Patel

Kudos0

I"m having this same problem with google chrome and norton confidential. 

Kudos0

I am still getting the crash from the plug in...Not sure if I have had an update since it was suppose to be updated, but still getting the crash in Chrome.

Kudos0

Hi blt126,

I will update the thread once the update is released.

Thanks,

Avani

Kudos0

Hello Everyone,

The update has been released. Can you please download it by running Live update and let me know if that solves the persistent crashing?

Thank you all for your patience, while we worked on resolving these issues.

Avani

Kudos0

I still have problems with it crashing chrome, mainly when playing words with friends on facebook, the other games seem to play ok, but this stops the browser from running, I have disabled the norton plugin and it runs fine.

Kudos1

Same issue, but mine normally happens when I've got multiple tabs (more than 3) open in Chrome.

Chrome totally slows down and can take up to 15 secs to present pages with the simplest content.

Almost seems the Norton Confidential (under NIS2012) is checking every single line of code and link

Have only had this problem since applyingthe update to NIS2012. Did not have this problem with Chrome + NIS2011

EDIT + Update

1 - I disabled the Norton Confidential Chrome Plug-In and page load/refresh speed dramtically increased

2 - I renabled Norton Confidential Chrome Plug-In and page load/refresh dropped to appaling

Conclusion: Norton Confidential Plug-In under Chrome ain't that great!

Kudos0

Chrome is my default browser and I have this issue as well.

Norton Confidential crashes a few times each day.

Also Chrome is VERY SLOW (which neutralizes Chrome's advantage over other browsers) especially when multiple tabs are open.

Internet Explorer (ver 7) is also running slow.

Please look into making Norton Confidential less of a resource hog.

Thank you!

Kudos0

The 19.1.1.3 patch was just released and fixes the crash issue in Chrome. If you still having problems after getting the patch through live update JonBartels please let us know!

Kudos0

another Chrome browser problem!

the check boxes in gmail do not appear with the Norton Identity Protection extension enabled

yes I am updated to ver 19.1.1.3

Kudos0

to HaggisKiwiNZ: agreed

Kudos0

the problem is with "radio knob" type selection boxes in general on all sites
makes it hard on a survey site when you can't make any selections! 

Kudos0

I'm still getting this problem NIS 2012, despite the patch 19.1.1.2.  Seems to happen when displaying charts/graphs, so may be Java related?  Try site http://www.bullionvault.com and click on 'chart' tab.  I'm on Windows 7 and latest version of Chrome.  

Kudos0

I Also m facing the norton confidential plugin has crashed popup on chrome numeroud times .

I have the 19.1.1.3 patch installed on my NIS 2012 ....

Please provide a fix .....

Kudos0

Will there be a fix any time soon .??

What does norton confidential crappy plugin do anyway .?? 

Kudos0

Mine keeps crashing too - every day.

I have W7 and NIS 2012

Kudos2

Same problem - I have NIS 19.1.1.3 with W 7 and Chrome - Norton confid crashes every day

Kudos1

What exactly is Norton Confidential and why does it keep crashing when I try to play Words with Friends on Facebook? I just updated Norton last week and have been having the problem ever since. And I am using Google Chrome as well. Thank You

Kudos1

I ran the last live update and Norton Confidential continues to make Chrome crash at least 3 times a day.  I use my computer all day for work and now its not just when words with friends is running which seems to be a common theme among the users.  Please fix this or tell us how to uninstall whatever the heck Norton Confidential is.  I wish I hadn't upgraded to NIS 2012 because 2011 was working just fine!

Kudos1

We Require a fix asap .....

Your plugin is making an awesome browser chrome crash .

WTF ..! 

Kudos1

Norton,

Do you not care that you haven't responded in 9 days and the issue still hasn't been fixed?  We can't be the only ones experiencing this...I bet by not fixing it you're losing a lot of customers.  I personally don't intend to purchase any more of your products if you make something like this totaly crappy then don't provide a proper fix when you get numerous customer complaints.

Kudos0

Has there been another attempt at a fix for this problem yet? Norton Confidential plug in is constantly crashing Google Chrome still, especially when I am using the Picasa website.It then also causes the Shockwave plug in to become non responsive, which I've never had any problems with before.  I have to revert to using Internet Explorer to use Picasa, which I really don't want to do!

Kudos0

I had to disable the  Norton Identity Protection extension 2012.1.1.10 NIS 2012 ver 19.1.1.3 in Chrome 14.0.835.202.  The extension constantly crashed multiple applications and made Chrome dog slow.  I test web sites and couldn't afford to have it enabled.  

My OS is Windows 7 Professional N with Service pac 1

Kudos0

First it was the NIS 2012 not finding tracking cookies (still waiting for an answer on that one), then it was the firewall and browser protection sliders being greyed-out and now some mystery Norton Confidential plug-in gumming up Chrome. All this since I installed NIS 2012 four days ago. This reminds me of the Norton products of five years ago. It's why I left.

Cripes, 2011 and 2010 were wonderful. I never even visited these forums. But now it seems I'm a regular. Maybe instead of Norton emailing me about a some new forum status I've reached (from Newbie to Visitor in a day!) they might want to look at why I'm even on here. I mean does anybody at Norton actually come on her to, you know, answer questions about their product?

So what is the Confidential plug-in? Is it necessary? And why is it crashing?

Kudos0

Norton Confidential crashes when I try and use google maps with Chrome

I've done all the 'liveupdates...'

Kudos0

I was prepared to give Norton another try after abandoning it several years ago.  However, as others have said it is constantly crashing Chrome.  I don't want to give up Chrome for IE.  I would rather switch anti-virus providers than switch browsers.  Please fix this problem..... 

Kudos3

There is a known deadlock with Chrome, where it reports our plugin is not responding, we filed a bug with Chrome in August, the bug is still open, waiting to be fixed by Chrome.

Pieter

Kudos1

This post has been moved to its own thread in the Other Norton Products forum.
Kudos0

I got the NIS 2012 just last week and now getting the norton confidential crash problem as well using chrome.  I NEVER had this issue with NIS 2011 and now I'm getting really frustrated with these frequent crashes.  Can I go back to 2011 until this gets fixed.  or should I cancel my subcription with Norton and go with a competitor?  Please advise

Kudos2

Chrome support was added in 2012 products, so 2011 products are not affected.

We are all frustrated about this problem, we created a defect with Google in August, we are still waiting for them to help us fix it.

You can track the problem here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374&

Pieter

Kudos0

Right after updating NIS and installing Norton toolbar for Chrome, for Identity safe logins, my Chrome freezes constantly, stating Norton Confidential has crashed, asking me if I want to "Kill the unresponsive page or WAIT". Make me want to go back to IE8. Any fix yet??

Kudos0

If I uninstall NIS 2012 and then install NIS 2011, will that make my crash problem disappear?

Kudos0

I just updated NIS 2012 because I saw a suggestion that this would fix it. It seems to happen after I have signed out hotmail & the MS script on their site takes you to MSN UK. The timer cycles for a while then the tab goes out of focus then Chrome says it has stopped responding & a dialogue box pops up without mentioning which plug in has failed.

If you respond to kill the plug-in Chrome then tells you the Norton Confidential plug-in has crashed.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit (all relevant updates applied).

Toshiba L300d notebook 4Gb RAM

Chrome 16.0.912.63 m

Any further developments on this one?

TIA

Kudos0

i too am still getting this problem and its really starting to do my head in. Making me reconsider who i will use next for my computer security

Kudos0

Hi,

Yesterday evening, after an updated of NIS 2012, i restart my pc as suggeted for installing it. After that i shout down the PC. This morning after restart PC i opened chrome that seemed frezed.

I've got multiple tabs (more than 3) open in Chrome. The timer cycles for a while then the tab goes out of focus then Chrome says it has stopped responding & a dialogue box pops up without mentioning which plug in has failed

If you respond to kill the plug-in Chrome then tells you the Norton Confidential plug-in has crashed. Chrome still remain freezed.

Windows 7 Home Premium  64-bit (all relevant updates applied).

How can i disable the Norton Confidential Chrome Plug-In?

There is any update to fix this problem?

Thanks ang  apologize me for my bad english.

Kudos0

Can you provide an update to this problem. Several months after you state the problem is going to be corrected through "Live Update", I'm still experiencing problems. The link you provided references a system hang with Amazon. I think it would have been courteous if you provided the issue number to ensure we're looking at the correct topic, I feel like the buck is being passed.

Kudos1

You can't blame norton, it's google you need to be complaining to.  Didn't you read Nortons reply, they have opened a bug report, they now have to wait for google to respond.  They don't have access to their source code, Norton's can only work on this with googles co-orporation.  I'd also like to point out you'll never get as good a customer support with any of the other AV's out there.  Norton do actually care.  They have helped me one to one on loads of occasions. And it's the only software maker that I know that will give you FREE upgrades to the latest version of software as long as you have a valid virus def'ernitions subscription.  No other company does that.

So to sum it up, if everyone stops having a go at Nortons and actually take out your frustration with google, they may pull their fingers out and do something about it.

Linda

*Been a Norton user since the begining around 1989/90, you guys rock.  Thank you for doing the great job you do.  I for one appriecate it!!!  

Kudos0

Oraya is right - keep posting to the chromium thread mentioned earlier by Norton - make this a squeaky wheel issue.

Kudos0

Ordinarily I would agree with Oraya and Brush-head... however I am now getting the crash of Norton Confidential when Google chrome is not running.

It occurs at various times after bootup, both when Chrome has been run after boot and when it has not been run.

So it is both an issue with the Norton product and Google chrome. Additionally, that Chrome exacerbates the issue.

Symantec, you will need to start looking at this in addition to Google working on it as well.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this for all your customers.

Kudos0

Hello Grahame888,

This thread is discussing a crash that reportedly happens INSIDE of Google Chrome. Chrome will display a message saying that Norton Confidential has crashed when it has not. See the second message in this thread for a screenshot. 

If you're seeing a crash that happens outside of Google Chrome, then it's a completely different crash. While it may look the same because it's the same component, the cause would be completely different.

Feel free to start a new thread for your crash issue that occurs outside of Chrome and we'll take a look at it. 

Kudos0

The funny thing is, why isn't the Symantec employees on here telling us what Norton Confidential even is? What made it such a necessary addition to the 2012 product. As most everyone on here has said, 2011 worked like a charm. 2012, though, has been a problem especially with Confidential and Chrome. What exactly is Confidential and what does it do that is important enought to have? Perhaps opting out of Confidential plug-in should be an option.

Oh, and it still is hanging up Chrome. Once the pages start to slow to a crawl, I know the "Norton Confidential plug-in has crashed" pop-up is coming. One for each opened tab. It's getting very tiresome.

Kudos1

Hello malpaso,

Norton Confidential is the name of the feature. It's the Phishing Protection, IPS Protection, Identity Safe, and Norton Toolbar features. We used to sell them as a separate product called "Norton Confidential".

It's now integrated with Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.

The reason why you don't see this issue with 2011 or 2010 is because we didn't support Chrome in those versions. However, as mentioned in THIS post, this is an issue that Google will need to fix in Chrome as Norton Confidential isn't actually causing the problem yet it is being caught in the problem that needs to be corrected by Google. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do until this issue is resolved by Google. We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible, but it's ultimately up to Google as to when they'll address this. 

Sorry for the trouble! Hopefully Google will fix it soon. 

Kudos0

HI All,

Was just reading the mentioned by Tim_Lopez earlier and found that there was an updat yesterday to  try the Google Canary.

SEE:   http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374&

Also :    http://tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs

Claimed to be fixing these issues:

May help......Have not got a chance to test......so do reply back.

Silent Spectator.

All help is thankfuly appreciated.

Kudos0

Hello SamDman,

Our Engineering Team will take a look at this and see if this is still reproducible. As you may or may not know, we don't support pre-release builds of Google Chrome, so you may not be able to see if this is working until the fix makes it in to a final release of Chrome when we support it or are compatible. 

Kudos0

Google Chrome stops responding on a certain website for a few seconds when loading it; it freezes again when surfing through it's links. The website I'm referring to is http://tro-ma-ktiko.blogspot.com/ but I think this behavior occurs on all *.blogspot.com websites. I have hidden Norton Toolbar without disabling Norton Identity Protection or any other browser protection feature. I have not installed any other plugin on Chrome. When disabling Symantec's plugin, the website loads normally (without freezing).

Kudos0

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING MESSAGE FROM TIME TO TIME ABOUT NORTON CONFIDENTIAL PLUG-IN KEEPS CRASHING ON ME & SEEING THAT YELLOW BAR ACROSS MY SCREEN,IS THERE ANYTHING THING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS

Kudos0

Tazzman71 wrote:

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING MESSAGE FROM TIME TO TIME ABOUT NORTON CONFIDENTIAL PLUG-IN KEEPS CRASHING ON ME & SEEING THAT YELLOW BAR ACROSS MY SCREEN,IS THERE ANYTHING THING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS

Hello Tazzman71,

There's lot of valuable information about this in this thread. Feel free to give it a look to get caught up. 

Here's a few key posts: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Confidential-plug-in-crashing-NIS-2012/m-p/580742#M181925

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Confidential-plug-in-crashing-NIS-2012/m-p/598478#M184849

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Confidential-plug-in-crashing-NIS-2012/m-p/648955#M193031

Replies are locked for this thread.