• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

How to block a program from accessing internet that runs off a unique temp folder path each time?

Hello,

I'm using NIS2009, with manual program control.  I plan to keep using this setting, so please let me know if the following can be done:

The program is benign, but expands and runs out of a unique TEMP folder instance each time it's executed.

Each instance it tried to access the internet to check updates.

So each time I run it, I create a single rule to block access, but of course next time I run it, a different rule is needed because the path has changed.

The filename though is always the same.

Isnt there a way to create a rule for a program by name only, regardless of path?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to block a program from accessing internet that runs off a unique temp folder path each time?

Hello,

I'm using NIS2009, with manual program control.  I plan to keep using this setting, so please let me know if the following can be done:

The program is benign, but expands and runs out of a unique TEMP folder instance each time it's executed.

Each instance it tried to access the internet to check updates.

So each time I run it, I create a single rule to block access, but of course next time I run it, a different rule is needed because the path has changed.

The filename though is always the same.

Isnt there a way to create a rule for a program by name only, regardless of path?

Kudos0

Re: How to block a program from accessing internet that runs off a unique temp folder path each time?

Probably it has not nowadays solution...

But this is good idea! Why not to block (and block from internet access) files by checksums also as by filepath?

What will be if the listed file was chaged since it was added? (subtopic: http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/Excluded-from-Auto-protect-file-was-changed/m-p/420128#M1676 )

Rule window can be as listed bellow:

File path:__________ [...]

0 (radiobutton: disabled) Include subfolders

* (radiobutton: enabled) Do it with all the same files within the path:__________ [...]

Author, post this suggestion on the appropriate board as your idea.

Kudos0

Welcome,

Am I understanding correctly that you are trying to block a program on your computer from accessing the Internet?

As an aside, you say you are using NIS2009. This is an old, old program in technology terms. With a current subscription you can upgrade to the current version which is NIS2012.

I'm going to have to let one of the experts respond to your question. My solution would be to disconnect while running it but the only way I know to do that is to remove the cat5 cable or shut down the wireless connection. And there has to be a better way.

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.